Will the AJC Call it Early For Ralph?

I hope so.

First, we all know that the AJC doesn’t like Ralph Reed, but one thing they do like is the interest readers have in the Lt Gov race, which directly translates into ratings (i.e. readers) for the paper.  So, in many respects, the AJC actually loves Ralph Reed!

Thus, I think AJC wants Ralph to win this Primary more than anyone, so the race continues for another few months.

With that being said, I am hoping that they call the race for Ralph Reed early on.  Why, you ask?

Well, gentle reader, let me explain the “Kiss of Death.”

When a media organization, especially a lackluster one at that (i.e. the AJC), attempts to provide legit political analysis, it often backfires.

Example:  In 1996, Louisiana, Wood [CORRECTION, it’s Woody] Jenkins was running against Mary Landrieu.  Early in the day, CNN called the race for Woody.  The result was thousands of likely voters staying home and beginning their celebration early.

Back to Georgia … I don’t think calling this race early will necessarily keep Reed supporters home; however, I do think that the AJC’s analysis represents the Kiss of Death.

Bottom line:  The AJC wants Ralph to continue his quest, so they can keep bashing him and get good ratings doing so, but they also want to feed off all of the drama they can from today.

Calling it early for Ralph would be huge.  Endorsing Casey Cagle was huge (and more of a curse than anything, in my opinion), and we all know they don’t support Casey – they just wanted to create discussion and get peoples’ attention.

So, my recommendation to the AJC is go ahead and call it for Ralph.  It’ll get people’s attention and perhaps deliver the blow that Casey needs.

1. jacewalden says:

GAWire,

Are you saying that the AJC should call it early for Reed so that Cagle will win? Do you think that Cagle will lose otherwise? Just wondering.

Jace

2. debbie0040 says:

GAWire, you are losing it. Get a grip!

The negative ads are backfiring big time. Voters will reject Cagle and his vicious negative ads.

3. GAWire says:

First, I honestly don’t know if Cagle will win. I am not with the campaign officially, so I have no obligation to say he will for sure win – I never have, in fact I have always been hesitant to ever say anything like “our guy is going to win, no doubt about it”. Call me a pessimist, but I don’t celebrate ’til SoS office officially declares a winner.

As to the question, I think having an organization like the AJC call a race early is what we refer to as the “kiss of death” so sure, I wish they’d call it. I don’t know what the point was, except to say that the AJC does not provide the political analysis they wish they could. That hit me as I was reading their coverage. I’m also on like my 4th starbucks of the day, so I’m buzzing here …

4. GAWire says:

>>”””Voters will reject Cagle and his vicious negative ads.”””

I haven’t seen anything to support that yet. Moreover, no one really cares about ads, Deb. Negative ads work, or we wouldn’t do them in politics. Your boy, Ralph knows that better than anyone.

Finally, Ralph did negative advertising, too, so tell me … what the heck are you basing that on?

5. MorganCoGOP says:

Debbie,

Ralph started the negative stuff in his very first mail piece when Cagle was being positive. He got attacked and fired back, I can’t blame him for that at all.

Ralph Reed’s ads are pure lies….there is no truth to them at all. Ralph is trying to hide from his past, while making up false statements about Cagle to cover himself.

The voters will reject Ralphie’s false and misleading attacks on a good Conservative Senator from Hall County.

6. bruce benidict says:

I cannot wait to say I told you so!!!!! Galoway did a pitiful job as Cagle’s press sectetary…

7. Joe Magyer says:

I’ll play devil’s advocate…

If I hear that my candidate has been called to lose, I’m probably going to be less likely to go vote than I would if the results were still wide open.

8. GAWire says:

Joe, that’s a good point, and certainly some would say that, but typically if people were planning on voting in the first place for their candidate, they will still vote if it could mean their guy/gal winning. Still, you’re right … calling it early will deter some voters on both sides. Bottom line: the AJC calling the race won’t keep many people at home either way, as I mentioned in the post. For what it’s worth, I think the AJC won’t call it first … they will wait on one of the stations to call it

9. GOPeach says:

GAYWire-

You have all sorts of evil little imaginations
    that quite fankly disturbs me.

You need some bed rest .

I think you may be a but wired!

That’s a common sympton I find in
    you Cagle supportes.

RALPH REED ROCKS!

10. GOPeach says:

I AM SOOOOOOOO SORRY GAWire!!!!

I got you confused with another blogger.

Please forgive GOPeach.
    She got a little “fuzzy”

It has been a loooooooong day.

I am so sorry.

Caught it –

GAWire

11. GOPeach says:

Bruce-

Brad Alexander is Cagle’s Press Secretary-
    Not Virginia Galloway..

But I agree with your point.