Scott Holcomb’s Surge

We’ve gotten a number of emails from people who were impressed with Scott Holcomb’s debate performance. It might be too little too late, but I think he’s had a last minute surge. I don’t know that he can pull it off, but I think he has some momentum.

I talked to Scott just a little while ago. He’s phone banking hard. He admits that in a race of six, it is tough. He thinks he is going to get into the runoff, but I don’t know how sure his campaign is. They started late and have been outmatched in fundraising and endorsements.

That said, he picked up Wesley Clark’s endorsement, which should give him some mileage. He’s also a veteran, though I wonder if that would help him more as a Republican than a Democrat who needs metro Atlanta votes to win.

All in all though, I think if Holcomb makes it to the runoff, which is possible, he’d be a stellar candidate. One way or the other, though, if he plays his cards right, Holcomb will probably be a rising star on the Democrat side. Oh, and if you check is website, he has a smoking hot wife too!

1. Erick says:

No, actually, what I meant was that the whole Iraq War veteran angle, I think, gets a lot more play in a GOP primary and would earn him a lot more free media.

2. techtrack says:

i thought won the dem side of the debate last night. two questions, first did it change anybodies mind, and two how many people watched.

3. griftdrift says:

Okay, I’ll take that. It just came off sounding as if a veteran would be rejected by Democrats. He was smart to get it in at every opportunity in the debate last night. He was impressive but has he had any TV ads? I haven’t seen any.

4. StevePerkins says:

I disagree with the “gets a lot more play in a GOP primary and would earn him a lot more free media” observation. Right now the Dems are bending so far backwards to avoid “unpatriotic” and “unsupporting of troops” smears, they make national hay over every veteran they recruit as a candidate. I’ve read free-media pieces on Democratic veteran candidates in 4 or 5 states this year… a Republican having military experience isn’t unusual enough to draw attention.

5. Jeff Emanuel says:

Erick, et al, the veteran angle can get him a lot of mileage in the Dem primary/general election, as well. Both sides are looking for veterans to run in today’s races, but the Democrats are even more desperate to put somebody — ANYBODY — out there who’s got military experience because it helps their absolutely AWFUL image on national security, helps heal the perception that they are anti-American, and gives them a voice of legitimacy on security and military issues.

The fact that the majority of veterans who are far enough left to run for the Democrats are so out of the mainstream that they really don’t provide any of these perceived benefits seems to escape the masterminds behind the Democrat campaign strategy, but that’s another matter.

6. Erick says:

griftdrift, Scott has the best ad of this campaign season. We posted it the other day and you can check it out at his site.

7. griftdrift says:

Okay I just watched it. That is a helluva of an ad. Anyway, I think the Dem Sec of State is very interesting. We’ll see if they can keep it clean once it’s down to two in the runoff.

8. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

Max Cleland is a veteran, Jim Martin is a veteran, Jimmy Carter, MacCarley, etc.. it’s not as if Democrats who have served this country are all that unique. There are several GA general assembly candidates who also are veterans. By the way, who are the GOP Veterans running again?

Scott had several strong answers, but to say he won is a stretch. He won the closing statement, for sure. His GA credentials are not as strong as Reddy’s or Darryl Hicks. Many wish Scott had run for his State Senate seat instead.

This race really attracted a odd assortment of folks, but at least they have kept it above board, unlike almost every other race. On that point, I agree with Scott.

9. On a lot of matters of public opinion when it comes to the war, the Democratic Party (much less it’s members who are veterans) have not gone as far “left” as the country has, if you believe polls from organizations like Gallup.

Many Democratic veterans focus on social services, particularly those available to the families of those currently serving or recently discharged. If believing that veterans should get the help our country promised them they’d get when they first enlisted makes you “off the map left” then I’m not sure I want to be on the map.

10. Also, I’d like to add that with Stephens’ ethical problems and Handel’s questionable resume, I think the Republicans would love to have a candidate like Holcomb running on their side this year (or a Reddy, Hicks, etc…) What does it say that a career military guy chose to enter Democratic politics when he finished his tour of duty?

11. techtrack says:

i’ll take handel’s resume over holcombs any day. she has real business and political experience.

12. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

There is still a question on the table, who are your veterans? What are they running for? Murtha, “leftie”, you must be joking.

13. Decaturguy says:

Um, Jeff, Murtha has a long history of being anti-abortion. He got a 0% rating from NARAL. He also opposes gun control and gets an A + from the NRA.

Sounds almost like one of your guys to me.

14. Jeff Emanuel says:

I’ll buy that, Decatur, but I think the outspokenness against America’s Marines (in the absence of any investigation into incidents, no less), continual call for cutting and running from Iraq, and characterization of America as the biggest threat to world peace picks him up and places him squarely back on the left fringe of the spectrum. I know you’re a reasonable Democrat, Decatur, and I enjoy reading your blog as well as your posts on PP. Do you think that he’s mainstream or right-of-center, or that his recent noteworthiness as an ideological ally of Soros, Sheehan, and Kos take him the other way?