A New Lawsuit

There’s a new one.

Just days before Georgia’s primary elections, a coalition of groups opposed to the state’s electronic voting machines filed a lawsuit challenging the system.
The legal challenge, filed Thursday in Fulton County Superior Court, claims the system is illegal and unconstitutional because it fails to give voters a verifiable record showing their ballot was recorded correctly.
Georgia implemented the new system in 2002.

1. StevePerkins says:

I agree 10,000% with the need for a paper trail in electronic voting. I mean, how hard is to use a touch-screen to simplify the ballot… then have the machine print out the paper ticket that you drop in the ballot box after reviewing? I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but this is just SUCH a no-brainer that I can’t imagine why it doesn’t work that way.

Having said that, the time for this lawsuit was months ago… NOT five days before an election. This has anti-Cox political motivation written all over it.

2. BahamaBoy says:

Debbie hopes the elections will be postponed so her grassroots can be grown a little more before it gets cut down at the polls.

Record? Heck, I’d rather walk out with a CD or an mp3 file.

3. Michael C says:

Oh my, debbie and I have found common ground. The current system is too easy to manipulate. Their should be 2 receipts though, one dropped in the ballot box, and one to be kept by the voter.

4. debbie0040 says:

Bahama Boy, stick a sock in it and learn to read as you told me. The lawsuit does not ask the election be postponed.

The voter needs a paper trail. There has been too much controversy with the machines.

5. benevolus says:

No receipts for the voter Michael. That opens up a whole new arena of potential fraud as people could bring their receipts out and hand them to the man with the money. This is a lesson that history has already taught us.

There is really no escaping that there has to be some level of trust in the system and the people who operate it, but it seems like having minimal areas that we HAVE to trust is better.

I am pretty sure this is not an anti-Cox move, although there is some bitterness towards her among the principals because they have been working on this for a long time and some have tussled with her over that time. I am confident that the timing is almost completely due to recently having found an attorney to take the case and having gotten enough financial commitments to move forward.

Taylor may bear just as much responsibility anyway, presiding over the Senate during the re-writing of the law and the funding.

6. Demonbeck says:

How about a receipt that can be checked by the voter, but must be shredded prior to leaving?

I am sure Georgia Pacific would support that idea wholeheartedly.

7. benevolus says:

That would probably work.

My personal preference is a Scantron type card on which the computer fills in the little circles- no messy pencils or sloppy filling-in. The voter can see his votes but the votes can be counted quickly by machine, but can also be audited or recounted by hand as necessary. Voter gets card, reviews, and drops in the ballot box.

Granted, the Scantron counting program can be screwed with, but with random audits and hand recounts, there should be very little reason to distrust the count. And I would think that counting software would be pretty simple and therefore easy to review. Scantron technology has been around for what, 30 years?

8. benevolus says:

If only we could get computers to produce chads on butterfly ballots we’d be all set.

9. Chris says:

You print the recipt behind a glass window and then the recipt drops into a ballot box with the voter never having to touch it.

Of course paper trails are only half the solution. Someone needs to conduct a random audit of the machines to make sure electronic and paper tallies match.

Humm. A meduim rare butterflied ballot with a white wine-chad-shallot glaze…. Now I’m hungry