Shafer Endorsements

David Shafer has sent out an email with his endorsements. They are:

Sonny Perdue
Casey Cagle
Karen Handel
Brian Kemp
Brent Brown
Chuck Eaton

1. Melb says:

I heard some Bill Stephen’s attack ad on 93.3, they attack Handel for support gay adoption and gay marriage. I was in the car for about an hour and I heard two different ones. One that was negative for Handel and one that was positive for Stephens. I thought it was a low blow and it made him look like an assho–. If I was a Republican I would vote for Handel.

2. Dawgsrock says:

First, sorry this is off topic.

Melb,
    I just recieved this from the Handel campaign. Seems like there is a lot wrong with the Stephens radio ad.

Here is the truth behind Stephens’ latest lies:

Stephens False Accusation #1: Karen spent $16,000 on office furniture during a state budget crisis.

The Truth: The $16,000 in question was money requested, appropriated and approved by (at the time newly elected) Governor Sonny Perdue. The office furniture was necessary, in large part, because staff from the out-going Barnes Administration had replaced much of the furniture in the Governor’s offices with desks and chairs that were literally falling apart. The Governor’s office still returned hundreds of thousands of dollars to the state treasury that year.
    This same attack was used by Georgia Democratic Chairman Bobby Kahn against Karen Handel during her campaign for Chairman. Interestingly, Kahn launched the attack at about the same time, when Karen’s opponent was losing badly in the race. (Handel won 4-way election with 56% of the vote)

Stephens False Accusation #2: Karen used taxpayer funds for a trip to Hawaii.

The Truth: Karen Handel has never traveled to Hawaii as Chairman of the Fulton Board. In fact, the trip in question was for the annual meeting of the National Association of Counties in which several Democrats on the Fulton Board were planning to attend. Thanks to media scrutiny and the public outcry over the trip – which Karen Handel led the charge on – several Commissioners cancelled their plans.

Stephens False Accusation #3: Karen Handel gave $400,000 to Planned Parenthood

The Truth: Another recycled attack against Karen that’s not true. At issue is a Federal and State pass-through grant to Fulton, Cobb and DeKalb Counties. The grant was authorized, regulated, administered and distributed through the State of Georgia. Because of the criteria, regulations and parameters of the grant, Planned Parenthood was the only eligible vendor approved to meet the state criteria. Additionally, none of the services were related in any way to abortions or abortion related services. In fact, state law prohibits the use of taxpayer funds for abortions or abortion related services. Karen Handel is a lifelong, pro-life conservative Republican.

Stephens False Accusation #4: Karen used taxpayer funds for a trip to Boston.
    The Truth: Karen was, in fact, part of a Georgia delegation on an official 2-day trip to Boston as part of the Atlanta Regional Commission. Karen serves on the ARC Executive Committee. In addition to Karen, this official delegation included dozens of other locally elected officials, state officials, and business leaders.

Stephens False Attack #5, #6, #7: Karen supports gay adoption, gay marriage and domestic partner benefits.

The truth: These are the same old and tired accusations that Bill Stephens has based his entire campaign on. Let’s remember that Bill Stephens started this line of attack a full month before Karen even announced her candidacy. His absurd attacks have even included a whisper campaign that Karen herself is gay! Karen has been happily married for 14 years. Karen Handel’s record in office and life-time of working with conservative leaders shows how absurd these accusations are. Karen Handel is against gay marriage, domestic partner benefits and gay adoptions. And, her record of service and in office reflects this.

3. Cotton Boll says:

Tell me why I should care who this guy picks???? Mine are:
    Perdue
    Cagle
    Handle
    Black

I suggest mine are as important as anybody else going to the polls. Guess I better alert the media as well.

4. Melb says:

My Picks are:
    Taylor
    Hecht
    Reddy
    Majette

Dawg, I agree it seemed like horrible pandering. I don’t know the average intelligence/political savvy of the regular 93.3 listener, but hopefully they can see through these negative attacks. Though I personally don’t think domestic partner benefits is a negative thing.

5. gsublh says:

What a shock he would be for Cagle ! His people tried very hard to eliminate scores of delegates and alternates when he was running against Reed for Party Chair. Glad to see Mr.”rent a family” doing good things in Gwinnett. Just focus on lowering taxes,balancing the budget,and illegals destroying our social services,will ya! You do that and you’ll go from an A to A+ in a hurry. Thanks!

6. Brian from Ellijay says:

Come on guys you have a respected elected official putting his neck out for his friends. I do not support, nor will I ever again, Karen Handel. But I can respect and agree with the other choices.

Senator Shafer is a conservative leader in the Senate. We need more like him.