Push Polls

With the debate in the rearview mirror, the most negative ads yet on the TV, and, as Erick pointed out, the latest SV poll showing a reversal of frontrunners (within the margin of error), it’s time for the final sprint to the finish line which includes, of course, push polls and last-ditch telephone endorsements.

I’ve verified through a reliable source that a recorded message against Reed is going out from the Cagle camp (although it doesn’t say Cagle’s name — just says not to vote for Reed). Obviously there’s been scuttlebut on this site that Reed’s folks are push-polling pretty hard themselves, but I haven’t had that confirmed yet.

I’ve managed to obtain a transcript of the anti-Reed call, made by a female:

Hi, this is [name omitted]. I’m sorry to bother you, but I had to call because I just read a story in the Washington Post about Ralph Reed lobbying for sweat shops even after our government found horrible human rights abuses there and he defended all that saying kids were hearing the Gospel. So I did my own research and found out it is true. Check out dontgambleonralph.com to see all the news reports and examples of the actual work Ralph Reed did defending sweat shops. It’s sickening and unfortunately very true. Please check out dontgambleonralph.com to learn the facts for yourself and let’s oppose Ralph Reed’s hypocrisy by voting no to Ralph Reed for Lt. Governor. Thank you for your time.

Yes, I know that this call is not a “push poll”…I just liked the title. 😉

1. Jack S says:

The difference here? Everything cagle says is true. Everything reed says is a complete lie.

The voters are seeing this.

2. Bull Moose says:

Do you really actually expect that the creeps at Reed headquarters are going to admit to being behind the aetheist phone calls?

Damn, at least Casey’s phone calls are true… Ralph did everything and more…

He’s the worst type of political animal… He’s a snake in the grass… He can’t be trusted…

3. BahamaBoy says:

I agree with Jack — the caller speaks nothing but truth. Reed’s callers are reportedly saying Cagle is an atheist. I sure hope someone gets a script of that up here for comparison.

And, for what its worth, note that the caller bases her opinion on something she read in the Washington Post! How’s that for using the liberal media to your advantage.

The stuff about Reed’s campaigns on behalf of Abramoff’s client, the Northern Marianas Islands, is true. Reed supporter can deny it all they want, but the facts are there for anyone to look at.

4. BahamaBoy says:

Here’s the Washington Post article for those who weren’t handed a copy today at Reed HQ:

Another Stumble for Ralph Reed’s Beleaguered Campaign

By Thomas B. Edsall
    Washington Post
    Monday, May 29, 2006; A05

In August 1999, political organizer Ralph Reed’s firm sent out a mailer to Alabama conservative Christians asking them to call then-Rep. Bob Riley (R-Ala.) and tell him to vote against legislation that would have made the U.S. commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands subject to federal wage and worker safety laws.

Now those seven-year-old words are coming back to haunt Reed, the former executive director of the Christian Coalition and a candidate for the Republican nomination to be Georgia’s lieutenant governor.

“The radical left, the Big Labor Union Bosses, and Bill Clinton want to pass a law preventing Chinese from coming to work on the Marianas Islands,” the mailer from Reed’s firm said. The Chinese workers, it added, “are exposed to the teachings of Jesus Christ” while on the islands, and many “are converted to the Christian faith and return to China with Bibles in hand.”

A year earlier, the Department of the Interior — which oversees federal policy toward the U.S. territory — presented a very different picture of life for Chinese workers on the islands. An Interior report found that Chinese women were subject to forced abortions and that women and children were subject to forced prostitution in the local sex-tourism industry.

It also alleged that the garment industry and other businesses set up facilities on the Northern Marianas to produce products labeled “Made in the USA,” while importing workers from China and other Asian countries and paying them less than U.S. minimum wage under conditions not subject to federal safety standards.

Lisa Baron, a spokeswoman for Reed’s campaign, said Millennium Marketing “was hired as a direct-mail subcontractor to assist in encouraging grass-roots citizens to promote the propagation of the gospel.”

“As a defender of the unborn, Ralph was unaware of any allegations regarding inhumane or illegal treatment of workers, and he would strongly object to such practices, if true,” she added.

Reed’s close friend and political ally, disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff, represented the commonwealth as a partner of Greenberg Traurig. The islands’ government paid Abramoff $4.04 million from 1998 to 2002. Greenberg Traurig hired Millennium Marketing to print the mailing.

Reed is running for the GOP nomination against state Sen. Casey Cagle. The old mailing was brought to a reporter’s attention by former employees of Reed, who said the support on behalf of Northern Marinas leaves their former boss exposed as a hypocrite.

The Mariana mailing adds another hurdle to Reed’s campaign, which already has been plagued by the disclosures that Abramoff paid Reed more than $4 million to conduct grass-roots lobbying on behalf of Indian casinos seeking to prevent potential competitors from getting approval to open new facilities.

5. Bill B. says:

It’s just that scuttlebut. Because the Cagle team uses lies and runs a dirty negative campaign, they need to act like Ralph Reed is too. He’s not. But when the Cagle folks do that, they turn off voters with their negativity and lies.

When will Cagle get a plan for Georgia? How bout never since he can’t read or write! Sorry, let me spell it out for him: know plan fer jawja cuz kasee cannt reed or rite.

6. Bull Moose says:

Oh Good God Bill B. are you that naieve?

Your candidate is the definition of the politics of personal destruction. He used these same strategies in South Carolina back in 2000 against John McCain. It took months for them to be traced back to Reed.

Your candidate essentially sold his values for personal gain. I guess you’re okay with that?

But you know what, I don’t even care, cause I feel confident that this David vs. Goliath campaign that Casey launched will be victorious on July 18th.

7. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

ERICK YOU SHOULD HAVE PUT YOUR SKIN ON CASEY NOW YOU WILL EITHER BE A LOSER OR VEIWED AS A CLING ON, I TRIED TO TELL YOU, OH WELL……

8. GOPeach says:

If you want the TRUTH about Ralph Reed.
    Go to: http://www.REEDFACTS.com

You will see the story without the Racey Casey Spin.

Casey builds a new web – site every few days to
    slam Ralph Reed. It is getting old now.

I find it so ironic that EVERYTHING YOU THINK
    RALPH REED is doing like decieving people…
    It is exactly what Casey is doing! BIG TIME!

Somebody send Casey these scriptures:

Matthew 7:2
    For in the same way you judge others, you will be
    judged, and with the measure you use, it will be
    measured to you. – Jesus

Luke 6:37
    Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. – Jesus

9. GOPeach says:

Bill B-

You made me laugh out loud. LOL

When we heard Casey debate Ralph on GPTV Sunday-
    Casey said

” Rahyulf You Raised Ovah Two Meeyan Dawlahs.”

Everytime Casey said ” Dawlahs” … We got the
    biggest laugh…. I haven’t heard a Suthun
    accent like thayat in a long time.”

It reminded me of Foghorn Leghorn. LOL
    I am sorry. It was funny.

We have to laugh to keep from crying..
    Lord have mercy.

I know Casey can’t help the way he talks.
    Once the camera went to Ralph and Ralph
    had a puzzeled look on his face like..
    ” What is this guy talking about???” LOL

My my my …. We nearly fell off the couch
    laghing at the whole situation. LOL

Poor guys. It was a dog and pony show.

10. duluthmom says:

GOPeach, just for you… (I even used two separate Bibles= translations.)

Romans 2:1 Therefore you have no excuse or defense or justification. O man, whoever you are who judges and condemns another. For in posing as judge and passing sentence on another, you condemn yourself, because you who judge are habitually practicing the same things [that you censure and denounce].

or

Romans 2:1 So no matter who you are, if you pass judgement you have no excuse. In judging others you condemn yourself, since you behave no differently from those who you judge. We know that God condemns that sort of behavior impartially; and when you judge those who behave like this while you are doing exactly the same, do you think that you will escape God’s judgement?

11. GOPeach says:

There you go!

That is another great scriupture.

I need to remind you all Ralph has repented
    for the bad business decosions. He has done
    that in my presence two times. He did it on
    GPTV also.

Now if you all will not forgive him-
    That is your choice.

Once someone appologizes and repents-
    It is best to ask God to show us how
    to release the offense even if we are mad
    and hurt about it. It is not easy. It is
    really hard. But we can forgive people.

I am not going to let people keep accusing
    Ralph of something he has asked forgiveness for.

I have never heard Casey ask for forgiveness
    in public. I would like to though. It would
    make me respesct him more.

12. Bull Moose says:

Okay, this really is news worthy. The online gambling bill that Ralph lobbied against is about to be passed in the US House as part of the Republicans values agenda. Thank goodness that Ralph’s too busy to help defeat it this time. Funny, Ralph was against it and so is Liberal Democrat Barney Frank.

House seen approving Internet gambling ban

By Peter Kaplan
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. House on Tuesday was expected to approve a Republican-written bill to crack down on Internet gambling, in what critics said was an election-year appeal to the party’s conservative base.

The bill aimed to ban most forms of Internet gambling, which generates some $12 billion annually worldwide. It is part of the Republican party’s emphasis on moral values as congressional elections approach this fall.

“This is a scourge on our society. It causes innumerable problems,” Rep. Bob Goodlatte, one of the bill’s sponsors, said in a speech on the House floor. Goodlatte, a Virginia Republican, has sought to pass an Internet gambling ban for nearly a decade.

Opponents, meanwhile, criticized the bill as a politically motivated bid to stir up social conservatives and boost Republican prospects in the November elections.

“It’s politics, plain and simple,” said Michael Bolcerek, president of the 30,000-member Poker Players Alliance, which is willing to support some regulation of online poker games but opposes an outright ban.

Debate on the bill began on the House floor on Tuesday morning, with a vote expected later in the day. Backers expressed confidence that the bill would win approval.

Prospects for similar legislation in the U.S. Senate remained unclear with relatively few work days left before the November elections. Arizona Republican Sen. Jon Kyl was said to be seeking a Senate bill to which he could attach anti-gambling language.

The House bill, sponsored by Goodlatte and Iowa Republican Jim Leach, would make it illegal for banks and credit card companies to make payments to online gambling sites.

BROAD SUPPORT FROM CONSERVATIVES

It has broad support among conservative and religious activist groups, which want to keep gambling out of easy reach of minors. To win more backing among lawmakers, the bill included language specifically exempting horse racing and lotteries, and dropped enforcement provisions for banks that fail to block credit card payments, according to congressional aides.

The bill would have broad impact on the Internet gambling industry, which gets half its revenue from American gamblers. Lawmakers say an estimated 2,300 gambling sites now exist on the Internet.

Investors in some British-based gaming companies such as Partygaming Plc and 888 Holdings Plc have closely monitored U.S. legislation. In Tuesday trading on the London Stock Exchange, 888 Holdings was up about 1.5 percent while Partygaming was unchanged.
    A spokesman for Leach, Greg Wierzynski, denied suggestions that the move was politically-motivated. He noted that Leach has been pushing Congress to take up the issue for many years.

“It’s not an effort to assuage or pander to a specific interest group,” Wierzynski said.

Democrat Barney Frank of Massachusetts said he thought the bill was “outrageous.”

“If people want to do something, and it doesn’t hurt anybody else, we ought to mind our own business,” Frank said on Monday. “This is a bill to tell adults not to do something because people in this body disapprove of what they do.”

House lawmakers will debate one proposed amendment, which would eliminate the exceptions in the bill for horseracing and state-owned lotteries. “Let’s get rid of all of this if we are going to do it,” said Democrat John Conyers of Michigan.

13. Andrew says:

I don’t know, but the recorded telephone call could be the worst advent in the new political age. I know it is being heavily promoted, but its turn off factor is huge. Let’s see the candidates actually start making the phone calls in person to the voters that would be worth my time.

14. Personally, if I wasn’t as interested in the races on the democratic ticket as I am, I would love to cross over & vote for Ralph. Too many republicans, in our state & nationwide have been banging the radical right wing drum for so long that I would love to see the republican party reap what it has sown.

Come on Georgians! Let’s show the country what we are really all about! Let’s all come together & elect Ralph, who pretty much the entire nation recognizes is one of the most corrupt, discredited, shady hatemongers to darken the doors of American politics in recent times. Lets prove to the nation that being a ‘republican’ just means that you line your own pockets whilst trashing the other guy & claiming that god is on your side.

Ralph Reed is a joke. It pains me that evidently we in GA are the last ones to realize it.

15. bowersville says:

It’s not a matter of forgiveness. It’s my God given ability to decide which candidate I wish to support. What do you want Cagle to ask for forgiveness for? By the way, you stated on another thread that Reed supporters would be at church Wednesday night. Because I support Cagle, am I barred from church? Will no Cagle supporters be in church Wednesday night?

16. Bull Moose says:

Just FYI there are 741 negative stories about Ralph Reed on Google News today from different papers all over the country.

And yes, Sonny’s Chatham County Chairman supports Ralph Reed. Great!

17. duluthmom says:

Bowersville-
    After reading the heart-wrenching post on your wife’s pregnancy, I usually have had nothing but compassion for your POV, even if we disagree politically.

My point in quoting Biblical verse to GOPeach was that I would never presume to justify any of my political opinions using the Bible as justification because there are so many verses that could be used to counter almost any position in the end.

As for GOpeach–where exactly is it prescribed in the Bible that all sins must be publicly announced in order to obtain forgiveness, as you’ve proclaimed here twice? My parish priest found the confessional (just the two of us) to be public enough for forgiveness.

18. duluthmom says:

BV-After reading your most recent post it appears we are on the same page (I think your response about Cagle was tongue in cheek to GOPeach instead of me.) At least I hope so.

19. GOPeach says:

So Duluth Mom-

You think that Casey has confessed his sin for slandering
    Ralph to a priest?

Then why doesn’t he stop slandering him???
    It would seem that would be the reason for confession.

Now anyone who can separate basic Christian morals
    founded in scripture from political views does not share
    my ethics.

I do not use the Bible to argue and debate. I use it
    to base behavior upon. I think public appology from
    Ralph Reed on GPTV is as valid as a confession before
    a priest.

Confession is confession!

Now if Bowersville decides to vote for Cagle based on
    a personal choice – fine. That is the AMERICAN WAY.

I few says ago this blog was a feeding frenzie. It
    was like Ralph had been tossed into a shark tank.
    Everyone was going at him like he was Osoma Bin Laden.
    You’d think it was Ralph Reed who blew up the twin towers.

He was accussed of everything from soup to nuts.
    Based on ????????????????

When anyone says ” I appologize” – Don’t crucify them!
    Just forgive them and vote for the candidate the best
    suits you. No need to have Fried Ralph for breakfast,
    lunch and dinner.

It’s fine to discuss political opinions
    without going for the jugular vein.

Flush the toilet and go vote!

20. debbie0040 says:

This negative campaigning is backfiring. Ralph’s negatives are going down and Cagle’s are going up.

Being the smart campaigner he is, you can expect some suprises from Reed. I think you will have other GOP trusted celebrities doing automated phone calls letting voters know they can trust Reed. Whatever strategy the Reed campaign has in store for Cagle, it will be well earned by Cagle. Cagle can’t cry about it because of the way he has conducted his campaign.

Voters will be confused and won’t go vote. It is a low turnout so far. Reed’s people will turn out because the hard core Republicans will turn out.

This race has polarized the Georgia GOP. This race is affecting the SOS race and the AG race. Most Reed supporters that I have talked to will not support a State Senator in either of those races.

21. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

REED IS DAMAGED GOODS AND THE MAJORITY WILL SPEAK TO THAT ON TUESDAY, DEBBIE WE DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU AND YOUR FELLOW PATSIES THINK, YOU ARE LOSERS. THE HARDCORE WILL TURNOUT ALRIGHT AND YOU IDIOTS WILL BE OUT. YOU ALL ARE THE WEAKEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN ANY ARENA, WHO WILL BE YOUR CULT LEADER WHEN WE SEND RALPHIE BOY HOME? IT WILL BE SOMEONE, THE WEAK ALWAYS NEED TO FOLLOW…

22. duluthmom says:

GOPeach-
    Your posts are getting loonier by the day.
    You state (Quote): I do not use the Bible to argue and debate.

Yet it was you who handily pulled out these Bible verses:
    And I quote (again):

Somebody send Casey these scriptures:
    Matthew 7:2
    For in the same way you judge others, you will be
    judged, and with the measure you use, it will be
    measured to you. – Jesus

Luke 6:37

Then there was this gem: (Quote) I think public appology from
    Ralph Reed on GPTV is as valid as a confession before
    a priest.
    And this(Quote): He said that he made a mistake to do buisiness
    with Abramoff. He said he would never do that
    again!

In case you missed it before, here was my reply to you when you stated the latter:

Promising never to do business with Abramoff again means nothing. It would be like my husband saying “I made a mistake and slept with my secretary. I promise never to sleep with her again.

23. Philly says:

Duluth Mom, you are such a hypocrite. You just overlook the fact Cagle made his fortune while serving on the Senate Banking Committee. Increased his wealth 900%. Cagle donated $ 1,000 to Democrat Mark Taylor, then LIED about it. Cagle calls it back tracking but a lie is a lie.

Casey Cagle is scum and not fit to hold public office. If he wins the nomination I will vote Democrat all the way to protest the way Reed has been treated. And nothing will change my mind, no pleadings from Sadie and others, absolutely nothing…

24. Bill B. says:

Casey Cagle and his campaign have taken campagining to a new low in Georgia. NEVER has a campaign been so negative and dirty. That speaks to the values of the candidate. But then again, he’s a liberal.

Not to mention a fake christian. Who has photographers come into their worship services? Or was he just pretending to pray for the photos and no one else was there and so he faked a whole church service.

25. politicalwidow says:

Debbie–
    Have you seen the strategic vision poll? Ralph’s negatives are nearly 50% which is defintely more than they were a month ago. Of course Casey’s have gone up too because of everything Ralph is doing against him. Saying Ralph’s are going down and Casey’s are going is nothing but pure ignorance.

26. BahamaBoy says:

Since when does Debbie’s “pure ignorance” get in the way her having a good time at the keyboard?

27. HSC Republican says:

Is my dad a criminal because his business has grown more then 1000%? 20 years ago he did not have a pot to piss in, now he has over 3,000 emplyees! Let hear some real prooblems with Cagle! Cause you can not say anything Ralphie has not told you to say!

28. duluthmom says:

Philly-
    Just what makes me a hypocrite (a word that Reed supporters ironically love to use)? Have I stated in any of my posts that Cagle was perfect? That he was a pillar of virtue like so many Reed supporters say Reed is? I dare you to find any of my posts that state this because the truth is they aren’t there.

Here’s what it comes down to for me.

I hear all these claims that I should vote for Reed because he’s such a good Christian man just like my neighbor claims I should use her handyman because he’s a good Christian. In the latter case, religion doesn’t mean a thing if he can’t fix a drippy faucet; and in the former case I’m certainly not going to hire someone without a lick of legislative experience. Besides, I’ve always believed that you should be able to tell someone is a person of faith by the way they live their lives, not by them having to extol to all in television and print ads that they are a believer.

So let’s look at your other charges (yawn). Cagle legally GAVE Taylor $1,000 bucks—which is a pitiful sum of money for people to get all worked up about, while Reed illegally TOOK millions. Did Cagle back peddle about the donation fearing he’d be annihilated for it? Perhaps. Has Ralph come clean on any of the charges of illegal activities? Not by a long shot. He either claims it was a mistake or that he didn’t know; and no one is buying the last excuse, which of course is a repeated lie because emails have proven that. And as for the 900% ad nauseam rant– I certainly don’t hold it against Cagle that he made money legally. It wasn’t Cagle that had to go to great lengths to cover up where the money came from.

29. Bill B. says:

DuluthMom(Duluthbi*** seems more appropriate),

You are a liar. Cagle’s donation was legal as was Reed’s work. Quit lying. I know its the standard for your campaign, but you could be different!

30. duluthmom says:

Gee Bill B., I’m not sure which of your nice little nicknames for me that I prefer more, Jane Fonda or Duluthbi***. Every time I state my personal perspective the best you can do is resort to name calling. Grow up!

31. HSC Republican says:

Bill B.
    You must be a yankee because REAL MEN from Georgia would never use that kind of lanuage when talking to a lady. And it has yet to be seen if Reed’s work is legeal. If it was legeal why run it through non-profits? Why say “I did not know” when it is clear he did know in emails? Also Reed made this campaign nasty and dirty….just like every other campaign he has been a part of! For example McCain and the black baby….and do I even need to go to good ole Mitch?

32. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

SHOW ME THE MONEY PATSIES.. THE BIG NAME MONEY YOU CLOWNS TOUTED TWO MONTHES AGO HAS DRIED UP AND RALPHIE HAD TO DIP INTO THE DIRTY MONEY. AS FAR AS NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNING WE MAY HAVE ANOTHER SUPRISE FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT THAT MAY TAKE THE CAKE COULD IT BE ESCORTS, YOUNG BOYS OR THE BIG ONE… RALPHIE BELLIEVES IN DARWINISM… HAHAHAHA

33. Andrew says:

Sen. Barry Goldwater is looking down and can’t be happy about this race from either side. And just reading these seriese of posts shows why, remeber the Republican Party will need to come back together after July 18th.

34. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

ANDREW THE PARTY WILL BE FINE JULY 18TH WE ARE JUST SICK AND TIRED OF THE LIES AND ARROGANCE OF A GROUP OF PEOPLE WHOSE TIME HAS COME AND GONE. THIS WILL BE PROVEN ON TUESDAY AND THESE RADICALS WILL BE PUT ON THE SHELF

35. Bill Simon says:

GOPeach

Well, HAD Ralphie actually been raised in the “North Georgia Mountains” as he claims, he would have been able to recognize Casey’s drawl in a heartbeat.

SO, has he “repented” for claiming he grew-up in Toccoa when he really didn’t?

36. Bill Simon says:

Philly,

YOUR pitiful vote for all Democrats in November because Ralph has gotten his just desserts won’t mean a thing when the full vote of the state comes into play.

You and Bill B sound like you’re both under 30, far too young and stupid to have any consequence to outcomes.

37. SpaceyG says:

Hmmm… that transcript sounds very familiar. Likely the Buckhead bimbo my last husband ran off with. She wouldn’t know a sweatshoppe from Spa Sydell.