NRA Endorsement?

We’re getting lots of buzz that the NRA intends to enter the Secretary of State’s race and endorse Bill Stephens. It will be interesting to see if they actually do this and if it can help him.

Speaking from personal campaign experience, when you have a group rushing in at the last minute to help you, it seems to be an admission that you are in second place. But, the NRA, being a credible organization, would not come in guns blazing (pun intended) unless it really thought it could give Stephens the push he needs.

This will be an interesting seven days.

[UPDATE]: A tipster tells me Katie Grove worked at NRA. That might have something to do with this.

Being a powerful, influential member of the blogosphere, I have done some digging. While the Stephens campaign is apparently expecting this, they probably ought not to hold their breath. What once was will not be.

[UPDATE] An emailer points out that while Bill Stephens has Katie Grove, Karen Handel has Bob Barr.

1. atlantaman says:

I’m a hardcore 2nd Amendment and NRA supporter, but the possibility of their getting into a Secretary of State race seems to border on the absurd.

2. NWGAgunguy says:

Just heard that they are going to stay out. Just a rumor or a failed effort by Stephens bunch

3. NWGAgunguy says:

my source is reliable as any source is in this business. which basically means they could be completly full of sh**.

4. Give me a break.

I supported Stephens until about a couple of weeks ago. His campaign has been less than impressive, and he is focusing on issues that have NOTHING whatsoever to do with the office he wishes to hold.

At that point, I wasn’t entirely sold on Handel, and I have NO idea who the other guy is, so I guess you could say I was riding the fence. Then Stephens put up the whole “Extreme Makeover Handel” thing. Besides the fact that it was completely pathetic, it had NOTHING to do with the office he wishes to hold, his plan, or anything else that might make me want to vote for him.

I’m a proud life-time member of the NRA. But even if they supported Stephens, it would be because of an issue that, get this, has NOTHING to do with the office he wishes to hold. It has become abundantly clear to this former Stephens supporter that Bill is in it for one reason–Bill Stephens. He wants to be Governor, so he figured SOS would give him a good platform to do so.

Sorry, but I’m not buying it. I’m casting my vote for Karen Handel.

5. Bill Simon says:

Yes, Katie is/was working with the NRA. Don’t hold that against her. I’m certain that outside of this race, she’s a sweetie.

Besides all that, she went to Georgia Tech, which, on the one hand makes her very smart, but on the other hand, leaves her gullible to believing anything people like Bill Stephens tells her.

You know the old joke about Tech women having problems with numbers, right? They’ve been told during their college years that [hold your thumb and forefinger about 2 inches apart] is 8″….

6. Bill Simon says:

Oh yeahhhhh…I forgot about the “Old Roommate from 10 Years Ago Filing A Complaint Against Our Opponent Trick”…

Will they ever have the Get Smart series on DVD? That show and Green Acres deserve to be re-run on prime time today.

7. Bill Simon says:

On the Bob Barr endorsement of Karen Handel, I just gotta sing!

“Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba…Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba…Oh, Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-Bob Barr…” (sung to the tune of Barbara Ann from The Beach Boys.)

Which, perhaps Bob Barr should buy the rights to and make that his song. Just a thought.

8. Tammi Metzler says:

Erick, I think your commenting on it being an admission of being in second place is a bit biased since you support Handel. At least you dud cross it out.

4 of spades, remember, you’re Steve Handel, so nothing you say is important or has validity.

9. So Tammi,

I guess you know all about credibility and/or validity, huh?

Yep, anytime I need a credibility or validity check, I consult Tammi Metzler, the most trusted name in stupid.

10. PeggyP says:

Um, I think these days I’d take Katie Grove over Bob Barr. What is Bob known for? Losing embarassingly to Linder and not being able to handle a firearm safely.

11. Batman says:

I believe Zell Miller is also a member of the NRA board, and he supports Stephens. Zell holds much more clout than Bob Barr.

12. Tammi Metzler says:

What is BFE?

I am not saying I am the marker of validity, but you have assured yourself as the highest marker of jackass.
    The point is that anything 4ofspades says doesn’t have any clout, because he is Steve Handel, and inherently biased.

13. NWGAgunguy says:

Zell Miller is not on the NRA Board but did speak at the NRA Annual Convention last year. He also is an A+ rated by the NRA in all elections.

14. atlantaman says:

I think Erick’s referring to Stephen’s being in second place is based on the fact he’s been no better then second place in every major recent poll. Yes, I know polls don’t always predict the outcome, but I don’t think it represents a particular bias to refer to Stephens as being in second place.

15. CobbGOPer says:

I very seriously doubt the NRA will issue an endorsement in a down-ballot race for a position that has nothing to do with firearm regulation in any way. Nothing either candidate does in this office would affect gun policies in this state one iota.

16. Ben Raspail says:

CobbGOPer – Why don’t ya’ll ask Stephens’ campaign manager how they decide endorsements since you said she used to work there…

17. 4ofspades says:

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Fairfax, VA – The National Rifle Association, the nation’s oldest sportsmen’s organization, will open 2005 by hiring new lobbyists in it’s political arm (National Rifle Association – Institute for Legislative Action) in preparation for an active and successful legislative year. One of those new hires is Katie Grove, whom NRA has named as a state lobbyist.

“I am pleased to have Katie rejoin our team. She’s a talented individual who will face challenges head-on. We need employees of her caliber as we face an increase in legislative challenges in state capitols across the country,

18. Tammi,

BFE is Brian From Ellijay. BFF is Best Friends Forever. Since BFE (once again, Brian from Ellijay) is the only PP (peach pundit) poster who has said spades is Steve, then it is a perfectly logical to assume that you got your info from BFE’s post about it. If that is the case, either you and BFE are BFF and you believe whatever he says, OR your just some random dumbass who bought into it.

Which is it Tammi, BFF with BFE or Dumbass…?

19. Ben Raspail says:

Wow. That Grove sounds well-rounded. So why does Bill Simon say she is probably “gullible?”

Just looking at Stephens’ website. Did ya’ll see that he just received an award from the NFIB? Pretty impressive…

20. Bill Simon says:

Ben, it’s an inside Tech joke. Go call the Tech administrative offices and ask for George P. Burdell, and he’ll let you in on the history of it.

The number is: 404-894-3361.

21. 4ofspades says:

Bill,
    Don’t forget, Raspial graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology in 2000 with a Bachelor of Science in International Affairs.