I’m Taking A Position

Yes, I am, and I’m going on record with this. Having reviewed all the campaign mail I’ve gotten thus far, talked to friends and acquaintances, and thought about who to vote for, I’m going to vote for Karen Handel for Secretary of State.

I’m leaning toward Brian Kemp in the Ag race, but I really haven’t made up my mind, frankly. I don’t know anything about Gary Black, having gotten nothing from him in the mail, having not seen any ads, etc. I have nothing against Black, but I know Kemp and I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in my mail box.

Reed v. Cagle. Ugh. I really and truly have no idea. I don’t like the thought of spending the next several months listening to more on the Reed-Abramoff connection. But, I’m just not sold on Casey. Part of it, I’m sure, are the large number of friends I have who are supporting Reed. I’m really tempted. But this gives me pause. I want to read McCain’s report. I’ll be very honest with you all — I’m just not sold on Casey. If I don’t vote for Reed, it will have more to do with not voting for Reed than voting for Cagle, I think. Hey, cut me some slack. I’m being honest.

Here, though, is what I think is really telling. The most vocal critics of Ralph are people who use to work for him. But then some of my best friends and acquaintances have worked for Ralph and love him. This is going to be a race that I’m just going to have to decide on when I walk in the voting booth.

And that’s where I’m standing personally right now. No agenda here. I don’t plan on bashing Stephens because I’m voting for Handel. I don’t plan on shifting coverage, etc. of candidates based on who I support. Peach Pundit has never been and will never be about that — though I’ll be sure to get more partisan in the general 😉

1. Tammi Metzler says:

If you’re going to state your positions, I respect you for just stating them and leaving it at that, without any other fluff.

2. Erick – I like your honesty and I feel like you have been fair with your front page posts.

I have a question though, are the friends of yours who you say used to work for Reed and love him former volunteers or former paid staffers?

3. Erick says:

Tammi, shut your pie hole 😉 I’m kidding. Relax. I’ve just never told anyone that before and figured I’d make you a target since you don’t appreciate the pouring out of my soul to PP readers.

But, I do post to the front page. That has its privileges.

How do you like them apples!

4. larry smith says:

Hey, Erick, could you fill us in on some other fun facts, like what your favorite ice cream flavor is and whether you like long walks on the beach?

5. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE RIDING THE FENCE TO ME, THERE IS ENOUGH IMFO OUT THERE TO MAKE A JUDGMENT. I BELIEVE YOU WILL VOTE FOR REED.

6. 4ofspades says:

Eric,
    Just curious, what mail did you get in the SoS race? I’ve heard there’s two Handel pieces, and two Stephens pieces.

7. bowersville says:

“it will have more to do with not voting for Reed than voting for Cagle.” My problem with this is not the TV spot but reading previuosly from press reports. “…mailer from Reed’s firm said…the Chinese workers…’are exposed to the teachings of Jesus Christ’ while on the islands, and many ‘are converted to the Christian faith and return to China with Bibles in hand.’ ” I cringed from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet reading about forced prostitution and abortions. Same here, I’ll vote against Reed and vote for Cagle. But, once I discovered this info, I did my research on Cagle and have no problem in supporting him.

8. Chris says:

Actually Erick, with the LG race seeming to be so close, which side has contracted your services as an election lawyer?

*chrisf prays it doesn’t come down to that……….

9. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

IT’S FOR YOU KOOLAIDERS I KNOW YOU ALL SEE THINGS BLURRY…JUST TRYING TO HELP.. HA HA

10. debbie0040 says:

Cagle’s latest ad is full of lies. Reed did not sell out Chrtistian values, he kept casinos form being built. The Alabama Christian Coalition is happy wiht his work.

Gov. Bob Riley of Alabama,who just defeated Roy Moore in the GOP Primary, is the one that contracted Reed for the Marianas thing. When sleazy Casey attacked Reed he attacked a popular.e Alabama Governor.

The State Senators and elected officials that endorsed Cagle are partially responsible for the despicable ads Cagle is running. They knew what Cagle was going to do and by endorsing Cagle, they put their rubber stamp on the ads. Reed supporters in their areas are pretty upset with them right now…

11. Erick says:

I think had the Cagle campaign used the tag line “His values are for sale” consistently for the past several months, it would have been very, very powerful.

12. Erick says:

You know SouthernComfort, from a business decision I probably ought to vote for Reed. As long as he remains on the ballot, I feel secure knowing traffic at Peach Pundit will be through the roof. 😉

13. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

ERICK, you have a point there, but go ahead and put skin on one side or the other and let the chips fall where they may. Debbie you are a trip you are damn right the senetors knew what CC would do and they support it, when are you RR patsies going to get it, the majority does not care what the cult thinks we are out to save the party and you will see this next Tuesday. CAGLE 06′ RACING TO THE FINISH LINE

14. The Busdriver says:

“Gov. Bob Riley of Alabama, who just defeated Roy Moore in the GOP Primary, is the one that contracted Reed for the Marianas thing.”

Debbie, this statement you made is as ridiculous as it is false. I’ve thought you to be an idiot in the past, but I’m now confident you are without a doubt the root-toot-tootinist most ignorant fool I’ve ever read on this page. Ever. You’re a liar and you’re an idiot. That’s a might dangerous combination, but fortunately it does qualify you to vote for Ralph Reed.

Governor Riley (congressman at the time) DID NOT pay Ralph to lobby against Marianas wage laws, you frickin’ idiot. Riley was Ralph’s TARGET. Riley=target. Abramoff=financial backer.

Debbie, we are all dumber for having read your post.

15. Bill B. says:

The slogan should be CAGLE ’06 LYING TO THE END
    or
    CAGLE ’06 MY BANK STOCK WILL BE WORTH MORE IF I AM LG
    or
    CAGLE ’06 I PAID MARK TAYLOR $1000 FOR THIS JOB
    or
    CAGLE ’06 ME AND MY DEVELOPER BUDDIES WANT YOUR PROPERTY AND WE WILL CONDEMN ANYONE WHO GETS IN OUR WAY
    or
    CAGLE ’06 LESS CONSERVATIVE THAN THE FAMOUS GUY IM RUNNING AGAINST
    or
    CAGLE ’06 THE GAYS LOVE ME
    or
    CAGLE 06 I GOT THE HOTT CAMPAIGN MANAGER
    or
    TAYLOR/CAGLE ’06 I DIDNT SUPPORT SONNY 4 YEARS AGO WHY SUPPORT HIM NOW BESIDES THE BIG GUY THREATENED ME
    or
    CAGLE ’06 LIBERAL PAPERS AND SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS LIKE ME BEST

16. Demonbeck says:

Ralph Reed ’06 – Because forced abortions are ok as long as you have a Bible in your hand.

17. The Busdriver says:

CAGLE TRIPLES REED FUNDRAISING

JACK ABRAMOFF BECOMES REED’S LARGEST DONOR

Gainesville, GA — In the final campaign contribution disclosure reports filed before the July 18th primary election, State Senator and Lt. Governor candidate Casey Cagle raised $1,083,312, tripling the amount raised by his opponent for the disclosure period. This puts Cagle’s total fundraising for the cycle at $2,520,027.

By contrast, Reed raised just $347,095 for the period. And, even AFTER giving himself a massive $500,000 loan from his personal fortune, Reed still lagged behind Cagle by over $200,000 for the period. In terms of total fundraising for the election, Reed has raised $2,522,795, putting the two candidates at parity. However, Reed has raised a large percentage of his funds from out of state, while Cagle has relied on Georgians for support.

“When we set out on this campaign, we knew it would be an enormous challenge. Thanks to the huge outpouring of support from thousands of Georgians and our positive plan for an even better Georgia, we have now passed our opponent in grassroots support, endorsements, polling and fundraising. And, by focusing relentlessly on turning out every single vote possible between now and the moment the polls close, we are going to win this election,” said Cagle.

“With this report, Ralph Reed has now made Jack Abramoff his single largest donor. Instead of returning the money he made by lobbying with Abramoff for casinos and sweatshops, Ralph is spending it in an attempt to buy the Lt. Governorship as a launching pad for his political ambitions. And true to form, he waited until the last minute to make the contribution in an effort to hide the money from the voters. Ralph Reed’s values may be for sale, but thankfully he can’t buy votes in Georgia,” Cagle spokesman Brad Alexander added.

18. The Busdriver says:

Ralphie gave himself 500K and he STILL couldn’t outraise Casey. Talk about David and Goliath.

Big celebrity Ralph with Hannity and Guliani in tow, versus the state senator from Hall County.

And Goliath fell.

19. BahamaBoy says:

Debbie really is clueless about Reed’s involvement with the Northern Marianas Island campaign. The Washington Post
    (May 29, 2006) presents the salient facts in these three selected paragraphs:

[http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/28/AR2006052800964.html]

“In August 1999, political organizer Ralph Reed’s firm sent out a mailer to Alabama conservative Christians asking them to call then-Rep. Bob Riley (R-Ala.) and tell him to vote against legislation that would have made the U.S. commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands subject to federal wage and worker safety laws.”

“An [U.S. Dept. of] Interior report found that Chinese women were subject to forced abortions and that women and children were subject to forced prostitution in the local sex-tourism industry.”

“Reed’s close friend and political ally, disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff, represented the commonwealth as a partner of Greenberg Traurig. The islands’ government paid Abramoff $4.04 million from 1998 to 2002. Greenberg Traurig hired [Reed’s firm] Millennium Marketing to print the mailing.”

At least that time Reed didn’t bother to run the money through Norquist’s ATR group or some other dummy nonprofit.

20. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

BAHAMABOY YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT… HE’S ALL IN AND WE’RE CALLING!!! CAGLE 06′ RACING TO THE FINISH LINE!!!!