RLC endorses Brian Kemp

The Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia has endorsed Brian Kemp for Agriculture Commissioner.

Brian is a successful businessman who has served with distinction in the State Senate. His legislative record reflects consistent support of gun and property rights. He is a member of the Senate Liberty Caucus and a signer of the Liberty Compact. Brian has already identified over $150,000 in wasteful spending at the Agriculture Department.

We believe that Brian Kemp is the best candidate for Agriculture Commissioner. We believe that he will champion the principles of liberty as our next Agriculture Commissioner.

1. John Silage Jr. says:

Why didn’t the RLC endorse Chuck Schied over Brent Brown? I am voting for Brown, but it seems that since Schied is for totally elminating a department that this Libertarian themed caucus would endorse him. Does anyone think their endorsement has any clout anyway?

2. waterboy says:

Nice to know the RLC doesn’t actually care if a candidate is QUALIFIED for the position they seek – yes, the RLC is a JOKE.

3. Cobb County says:

here is the reason why they endorsed Brian Kemp

Fifteen members of the Senate have joined the Senate Liberty Caucus. Founding members of the Caucus are noted with an asterisks:

*Casey Cagle (R-Gainesville)
    *Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock)
    *Nancy Schaefer (R-Turnerville)
    *Mitch Seabaugh (R-Sharpsburg)
    *David Shafer (R-Duluth)
    *Cecil Staton (R-Macon)
    Don Thomas (R-Dalton)

Its the Senate Mafia again. Does anyone else think this Band of Brothers is going to end up hurting them. I have noticed alot of anti-State Senate feelings, mainly in Cobb County.

4. atlantaman says:

I get the feeling that while Shied wants to eliminate the Labor Department, he does not want to eliminate the responsibilities of the department. It is my belief his plan would shift the responsibilities and costs to other State Departments, a little like a street corner shell game.

The Department of Labor like most government departments is definitely bloated, but I don’t think expanding other departments, creating more layers of management and confusion, is the solution. I think the correct plan is to try to make the Department of Labor more efficient, not to pawn it’s responsibilities onto other departments – pushing any hope of containing costs deeper in the State’s bureaucratic abyss.

5. landman says:

REPUBLICANS endorsing a proven Republican Leader sounds logical to me.Did anyone think they would endorse Black with his DEMACRATIC PEDIGREE?PLEASE.

6. Cobb County says:

Landman, you and I just cannot seem to link up on any of these candidates. Maybe Bill Stephens?

7. nunndemocrat says:

Schied’s idea is a sham! He is not abolishing anything–just shifting duties to others!

He even wants the unemployed to apply for unemployment insurance at the local library! Bet our librarians will love that…NOT!

He was kicked off the House Appropiations Committee because he did not pay taxes…and last time i checked, he had about 20 ethics violations…and he wants us to hire him to run a mega million dollar budget. What a joke.

He should not only not get any endorsements, but he should not get any reasonable, thinking Reublican’s vote!

8. John Silage Jr. says:

In my opinion, the only person worth driving to the polls for is Gary Black. Reed VS. Cagle is a joke-they both are clowns. Handel Vs. Stephens is a joke. There is just not a good crop of folks running. I hope things change, and Sonny gets a good team to run with.

9. Chris says:

I’ll answer John’s question because it seems fair and free of insults.

Chuck Scheid does have a plan to eliminate the position of Labor Commissioner. However that doesn’t include eliminating the department. His plan consists of shifting responsbilities to other departments. Its a nice gimick but won’t save the taxpayers a lot of money.

Lets face it, the average voter is getting hit right and left with stories about corrupt politicans. DeLay, Reed, Cunningham….. We need to offer the voters candidates that are above reproach. One of the prime criteria for the candidates we endorse is that they be free of ethical baggage.

10. DTK says:

If Don Thomas, the man who brought us the statewide smoking ban, is in the “Senate Liberty Caucus” then the group is a joke.

I don’t know what these senators mean when they use the word “liberty” but it doesn’t mean dedication to “limited government, free markets, and individual liberty” if such things can be judged by their vote on the smoking ban.

The smoking ban may be justified on other grounds, but “liberty” ain’t one of them.

11. 4ofspades says:

Chris,
    I know that rhe RLC and SLC are two different groups, but are all of the memebrs of the SLC members of the RLC?

12. Cobb County says:

my point is that Brian Kemp is part of the Senate Liberty Caucus, part of the RLC. Of course they endorsed a member. It really means nothing. The organization is a joke. Nevertheless, I cannot blame them for endorsing their members.

13. 4ofspades says:

Chris,
    Thanks for the clarification.

If I look at the list that Cobb County provided, all but two of those Senators are members of the RLC. Yet, the RLC gave Handel it’s endorsement. A logical conclusion would be that people are saying one thing in public, yet doing another in private.

Please tell me if I’m reading too much into this.

14. 4ofspades says:

Sorry, I should have said all but two of the Senators who are members have endorsed Stephens. Yet….

15. Chris says:

4ofspades:

The members listed by Cobb County (good grief, pick a better handle man) are members of the Senate Liberty Caucus. They have been granted honorary membership in the RLC because we share similar goals: reducing the size and burden of government. However it is the RLC, not the SLC, that has endorsed Kemp, Handel, Cagle and Brown.

I have no idea who the individual senators listed above support in the SoS race.

16. Chris says:

Innovative: Yes we look at qualification. We also look at past track record (when we can find it), ethics and what they plan to do in office.

And we are going to be holding them to their words.