Debbie Wasn’t Kidding

I had completely missed this until this afternoon when I was stumbling around for more news about how the gay vote will affect the Democratic primary. Yes, apparently Christie Ayotte is encouraging gay voters to cross over into the Republican Primary and vote for Casey Cagle. She writes:

[W]hile a mass crossover would constitute an undeserved gift to Republican State Sen. Casey Cagle in his bid to become Georgia’s next lieutenant governor, I have come to believe it is the smartest thing gay voters could possibly do in the July 18 primary.

Ayotte goes on to say that this would be more a protest against Cathy Cox than actually anything for Cagle — who she hopes loses. But, nonetheless, there is a movement afoot to get gay voters to vote for Cagle. Debbie wasn’t kidding.

Here is more from Friday and I’m told over the weekend a gay newspaper out of Athens had the same idea of voting for Cagle because Reed winning would be bad for the gay agenda. However, I have found nothing online about that.

1. Jeff Emanuel says:

Hmm. Nice tip, Debbie. So what (if anything) does this being public do to Cagle’s base? Could he lose some conservative votes? Or would his followers welcome more riders on the Anti-Reed Brigade bandwagon?

2. Chris says:

If the gay community wants to help us re-elect Sonny Perdue, I’m not going to complain. Reed on the ticket is going to hurt us with a voting population that is sick and tired of K-Street corruption and trickery.

3. Chris says:

“But if gay voters are interested in electing Democrats who are likely to be more supportive of their causes, University of Georgia political professor Charles Bullock believes they might consider voting in the Republican primary for Reed, considering the ethical baggage Reed carries from his lobbying days.”

4. northside elephant says:

I invite cross-over voting if it helps the party. Ronald Reagan never would have won without attracting a large number of Reagan Democrats. Sonny Perdue expanded the GOP base in south GA. John Linder acknowledged that his campaign was accepting the help of Democrats who wanted to oust Bob Barr in 2002.

Like Chris said, Reed on the ticket brings serious ethical problems.

5. Bill Simon says:

Jeff,

I wasn’t aware that the terms “gay” and “conservative voter” were mutually exclusive terms…does a person who is “conservative” a person who is only heterosexual in your mind?

6. GrandOleDawg says:

Wow, northside. You are you really comparing the Georgia gay lobby to the Reagan Democrats? The Reagan Democrats were politcal moderates or even conservaties who were still locked into the Democratic party through habit, or the “solid south” mentality. Reagan was able break through to them with his message, and his artful delivery of it. The Georgia gay lobby, on the other hand, is reacting in fear to a strong conservative leader who they know is a threat to their cause.

So, has the GOP LG race really boiled down to “Who would a gay-rights activist vote for?” 🙂

7. northside elephant says:

I didn’t make gay voters the issue, you and Debbie have. I am not making a comparison only stating a few facts. There have been many situations where non-traditional constituencies supported a Republican.

You cannot assail Cagle’s record as a State Senator. Cagle is a pro-business, pro-family leader with the highest rankings by conservative groups. If a gay dude or chick vote for him who am I to stop them. Are you worried?

8. Bill Simon says:

Jeff,

This post was initiated because of articles promoting gays to go out and vote for Cagle.

YOU said this: “Could he lose some conservative votes?”

Your premise is that Casey might lose “conservative votes” because gays might crossover and vote for Casey. THAT presumes that gays are not conservative.

WHICH leads me to my question to you (again): Do you think that the terms “conservative voter” and “gay” cannot co-exist in the same person?

9. northside elephant says:

Bill, they aren’t familiar with the big tent. They would prefer to keep the GOP lilly-white, suburban, straight and old.

10. LINDA says:

Well Christie’s campain organizer posted a comment on my blog last week, and goes by the blog name “The Originalist.” The blog was created in July 2006 and has less than 20 profile views, and no posts. This is pretty much a propaganda stunt by Ralphie’s campaign organizers. Christie, you go girl!

11. Jeff Emanuel says:

That’s correct, Bill. I do wonder if Cagle could lose some conservative votes over this, not because I necessarily think that being homosexual and being conservative are mutually exclusive, but because many folks–especially on the “Christian right,” which I believe you’re not a big fan of–may think that, in a race between two Republicans, the one getting the (self-describedly liberal Democrat) gay vote in the primary may be seen as the wrong choice for office.

You seem to want to stick me with the “anti-gay” tag; however, my question addressed those who may take into account the sexual and/or political orientation of those who are supporting a candidate (i.e., those of whom Northside speaks, be it seriously or facetiously), and the question still stands: could Cagle lose some GOP primary votes as a result of this potential crossover vote being made public?

12. LINDA says:

Oh, and she the “Originalist” posted this lengthy letter written supposed by Christie about how her Dad would feel if he knew what she was doing. Some baloney that I did not read.

13. northside elephant says:

Jeff,

I think that you ask a fair question. I was not being sarcastic in any way when I said that Reagan, Perdue and Linder each attracted an organized and public movement of Democrats. It can be verified.

But in light of Ralph’s well known ethical problems will something like what Debbie alleges factor in? I seriously doubt it unless the Southern Voice is more popular among Christians than I realize.

14. debbie0040 says:

I did not allege it, Northside. Erick, there is more out there about this crossover voting. It has been floating around for time.

This statement in particular, “The man is a political genius, and that’s why we need to keep him out of office. A Ralph Reed victory would have a dangerous impact here and on the national level, and it is the fastest route to making Georgia Democrats take a hard right in November.”

If played correctly, this can drive out vote for Reed like the gay marriage ammendment did in November 2004.

Once GOP voters see that these gay and left wing groups hate and FEAR Reed that much , they will vote for Reed. The voters will not want to let these groups claim a victory.

15. GrandOleDawg says:

“Bill, they aren’t familiar with the big tent”

northside, who were you refering to when you said “they”?

16. Maurice Atkinson says:

That’s a weird conspiracy. I don’t see it happening. Now unless the Cashutta’s start funneling money through Norquist’s organization and buy some air time to scare the heck out of Christians, then it might happen. Yeah, Ralphie did something similar with Channel One against his own client Senator Shelby back in ’99. Didn’t work though.

17. LINDA says:

Well, I can only answer for myself and Christians that I converse with. And the most important issue would be the appearance of scandal involved with Ralph Reed, and the issue of victory for gays if Cagle is elected is a non-issue and actually an outlandish claim from the Reed camp. There are many people that are not happy with Governor Perdue, and Ralph in tonight’s debate sure tied himself to Perdue’s apron strings many times.

All of the McBerry voters will cast a vote for Casey Cagle, and the other undecided votes will swing in Casey Cagle’s favor. This is especially true, since the Atlanta Journal Constitution picked up on Erick’s post about Ralph’s affiliation with NIF.

Those angry voters in Cobb County that are opposed to illegal immigration are not going to be happy.

18. BlackVoters says:

To all BLACK READERS:

I hope you see what we are up against here. The white gays
    are teaming up with the Brokeback rednecks to elect Mr. Cagle.

We do not have a candidate in this race who care about us.
    We have been completely ignored! However the closed man who will connect with our values to mobilize the grass roots, it would be RALPH REED.

All kidding aside. All joking aside.

I challegne all BLACK VOTERS to VOTE for RALPH REED.
    Even if you typically vote democrat.

Should Cagel get elected by the gays, he will owe these
    people lots of special favors.

Ralph Reed is holds the BLACK FAMILY VALUES.

19. BlackVoters says:

REED for Lt. Gov.!

REED is the best candidate for BLACK people who are
    tired of being scammed by the White Good Ole Boys Club.

We need and OUTSIDER. The STATE SENATE is a WHITE GOOD OLE
    BOYS CLUB.

REED is an OUTSIDER. HE IS THE BEST CHOICE!

20. BlackVoters says:

Black Voters-

Bill Simon is confirming what I am trying to tell you. You know what I am telling you is the truth.

You will see several racist comments by the Cagle people.
    That will be the sign to VOTE for REED!

They are letting us see THEIR TRUE COLOUR!

Ralph Reed is NO BILL CLINTON. That is a racist comment!

21. BlackVoters says:

Reed is OUTSIDE THE GA SENATE BOYS CLUB!
    He is not kissing ass like Cagle.

Reed is his own man. The real leader.
    He is not having a pissing contest like Cagle.

Cagle in INGROWN. He is out of touch. He has no
    real vision… He is a yes man.

You Cagel people are so afraid of Ralph Reed.

R A L P H R E E D is the M A N !

Get used to it people.

He will be the next Lt. Gov!

22. LeftOFLeft says:

Geez Blackvoter,

Get a grip, yur antics are crazy! why waz you kissing up to old Ray McBerry yesterday in Dublin. been sipping that mad dog 20/20 too much. why you were telling us when you waz doing the limbo that you waz voting for Cagle…you must got rocks for brains.

23. debbie0040 says:

Leftoleft, you get a grip. I know black voter and I can assur eyou he was not kissing up to McBerry. I find it interesting you slam McBerry when his Southern Party endorsed Casey Cagle whom you support.

24. northside elephant says:

I think that everyone can see through the desperate attempt to tie Casey to some sort of scandal. It is laughable to sit back and read some of the unbelievably shrill comments.

Trying to tie Casey Cagle to gay rights? Come on even the most deluded Reed supporter knows that is an outright lie.

25. debbie0040 says:

They are supporting Cagle because Reed is greater threat to their cause than Cagle is. Even these left wing groups know Cagle is weak and spineless.

26. northside elephant says:

Reed sold out to Indian Casinos
    Reed sold out to E-Lottery
    Reed sold out to the pro-immigration special interest
    Reed sold out to Jack Abramoff

27. Brian from Ellijay says:

It is great when you try to make the most conservative member of the Senate a liberal.

28. debbie0040 says:

Linda, I am from Cobb County and the voters will not believe Cagle’s lies. Especially when respected leaders like Zell Miller, Sean Hannity, Rudy Giuliani and Newt Gingrich start defending Reed.

Reed won the Cobb GOP Straw Poll . Reed garnered 64% of the vote to 36% for Cagle.

Voters will not like the fact if Cagle wins, the gays and left wing groups will be able to declare a victory.

29. Mrs. Adam Kornstein says:

Ok, back to the issue at hand, cross over voting.

I have been to a great many meetings and coninue to hear this being promoted. I suspect that this suggestion came from deep inside a R strategy session, possibly the work of Mark Davis again?

30. northside elephant says:

Mrs. Adam Kornstein,

This is a stupid rumor promoted by Reed’s blog director Debbie and tabloid columnist Lisa Barron. They are desperately trying to make the most conservative senator look liberal.

Check out http://www.caseycagle.com and look at his proven conservative record. Also look at Project Vote Smart to see Cagles high ratings among conservative groups.

31. Bill Simon says:

Respect for “Newtie” in Cobb County is pretty close to zero in a lot of households. So, imagine what these folks think of his opinion on a Lt. Governor’s race.

32. debbie0040 says:

Northside, I did not not write that column for Southern Voice and there are other columns written by another columnist aluding to the crossover voting. There was alos something in the AJC alluding to that

You would have people believe that I conspired with gay activists to make Cagle look bad?

That is really funny !!!

33. LINDA says:

Debbie,

I thought that you were strong on immigration issues, and that was one of the platforms of Ralph’s campaign. It puzzles me that now that this information has been released relating to splitting an immigration bill in 1996 with Ralph being instrumental in defeating any efforts to curtail the illegal immigration problem, that a “private citizen

34. LINDA says:

Chris Simcox is a Minuteman that Debbie said she met at a meeting in Georgia that said Reed was a good man or that she was supporting a good man. This is what Debbie wrote on the AJC link.

35. LINDA says:

At present, Herman Cain, is on 940 am sitting in for Neal Boortz speaking about the difference between diversity and multi-culturalism. Herman is backing up what many of us believe is that this new immigration problem is that it is a new group that wants to change our culture. Diversity means that yes we are all different, but when in America you are an American and learn to speak english.

People like Ralph Reed have escalated the U.S. into a disaster mode in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, and most drastically California by killing legislation in 1996 to curtail the problem. Now, in California public schools are teaching in dual languages. Oh and let us not leave out Florida that has an immigrant problem, too.

Georgia is on the brink of a disastrous situation, too with the illegal immigrants causing economic hardships on taxpayers. Shame on Ralph Reed! Tune in and listen to Herman Cain. Cagle 2006!

36. LINDA says:

On a side note, Bil Shipp of the Macon Telegraph, has written a good article about how the Republican Party has made Ray McBerry invisible in this election. Since Debbie is such a GOP activist or “Citizen Kane” why is it that McBerry has been left off the GOP website and shunned when so many Republicans are backing him. This is one of many reasons why I throw away every thing that I get from the Georgia GOP, and basically tell them to take a hike when they call me for donations. The Georgia GOP has been railroaded by a bunch of elitist snobs that do not represent the Republican voters. Just like Ralph Reed did not represent the interest of the CC.

Well I vented that message, and before some ridicule me, I will give my reply too. As Rhett Butler said in Gone With the Wind, “Frankly my dear I do not give a ****!

37. Bill B. says:

What do the following all have in common?
    The Democrats.
    Mark Taylor.
    New York Times.
    AJC.
    Anti-Sonny Party of Georgia.
    Gays.
    The Developer/Bankers who want to take away private property rights.
    They all are not true conservatives and hate Ralph Reed because he has been, is and will always stand for our values.

38. debbie0040 says:

Linda, I disagree with the Georgia GOP’s decision not to put McBerry on the site. Nothing I can do.

39. LINDA says:

Dear Bill B.,

Well trust me none of those categories of people that you identify are real. Your propaganda is a figment of your own biased imagination, and is so far out that it is actually laughable. Ralph Reed does not stand for my values or those educated about what he has been involved with.

Real people with real issues will vote for the only logical patriotic choice that can be trusted to not sell out Georgia to special interest groups. And that real people’s choice will be Casey Cagle!

40. debbie0040 says:

Linda, the fact that Ralph Reed does not stand for your values is great. I don’t think Ralph would be supporting Ray McBerry or the Southern Party of Georgia as you do. I don’t think Ralph would say that David Duke is a genuine Christian either.

41. LINDA says:

Well of course Ralph would not be supporting Ray McBerry because he is trying to run on Perdue’s tail. And DD being a genuine Christian has nothing to do with my values, as God has not ordained to be a saint to judge over fellow humbans. That judgement rests with Christ himself. Now if you are like the Pharisees that Jesus addressed when they were going to stone the harlot when he commanded to them “let he who is without sin be the first to cast a stone,” then pick up a stone and start throwing. That is not what I, as a Christian, will do is which judge whether or not someone is indeed a christian.

Anyway, the patriot’s choice is Cagle!

42. Rick Day says:

While not gay, and having never ever voted Republican, I am considering a crossover vote against Reed.

The man reminds me of the Armagedden candidate in the Stephen King Movie (and TV show) “The Dead Zone”. I do not trust christian politicians. period.

Yes, Reed creeps me out so much, that I am willing to do this.

Oh yes, and while I’m at it, I’ll vote against every incumbent, as hopefully will most cross-over votes.

Then, come Nov, I return to my typical voting pattern: Libertarian, if none then Green, if none then Indie, if none then Demo non-incumbent.

43. LINDA says:

Now if I were a multi-millionaire, I would put up billboards myself supporting Ray McBerry to be the next governor of Georgia. I have found out things that disturb me about Governor Perdue, and you and I both know that he would not have won had he not had the southern Georgia vote, as well as North Georgia vote. I voted for Sonny because I was brain-washed into the GOP bs campaign of lower taxes, values issues and the attack against the morality of President Clinton. The Republicans have done a disastrous job when it comes to protecting our borders, and the sell out was to get President Bush the electoral votes in Texas. I am saddened by the lenghts that people will go to in order to sell out our future. And the Democrats are not any less guilty for this deplorable condition our United States is in, most especially with the “Big Deal” of President Roosevelt that caused entitlement programs to spiral into a monstrous devouring situation of misappropriated pork barrel spending.

We need a new direction for our United States and Georgia. I am supporting Tom Tancredo for President in 2008 and Casey Cagle for Lt. Governor of Georgia.

44. LINDA says:

You see, I know that when it comes right down to it that politicians that run on a campaign ending their closing statements, which ask the voters to pray for them is going over the top. Why should voters pray for Ralph? Ralph should have ask the voters to pray for the deplorable condition that he has helped to create in this state and every other state. Pray for our very survival, and I have read Zell Miller’s books (well some of them as I have so many books), and Zell Miller’s very essence is how the Roman Empire fell and that if we do not change our direction, we will fall too. I simply cannot imagine Zell Miller supporting Ralph now that this information about the immigration bill that was defeated with Ralph’s help.

I want to know where are the real patriots anymore? Where are the people like my parents’ generation that were so moved by John F. Kennedy’s enlightening words: “ask not what your County cand do for you, but what you can do for your Country.”

Yes, times have changed into one where special interest groups control our destiny, have controlled our past and will continue to destroy our future if it goes unchallenged. God save America!

45. debbie0040 says:

I can promise you that Zell is still standing strong with Ralph and supports Ralph. So Linda, I guess Zell will be the next politician you start bashing…

A vote for McBerry is a vote the Democrats. Everyone needs to rally behind Gov.Perdue. McBerry has no chance of winning.

46. debbie0040 says:

Thanks for helping prove my point, Rick. You Cagle supporters sure are in good company….

47. debbie0040 says:

He has a problem with Christian politicians. I have a problem with that. Not all Libertarians think like him.

48. debbie0040 says:

By the way Linda, GOP Voters will be getting automated phone calls from Zell Miller asking them to vote for Reed.

49. LINDA says:

Well, Debbie, maybe most have the new zap phones that zap out direct marketing calls. Grassroots Debbie, Grassroots! Emails, personal calls to friends, talking at church, talking at work that is how the game is played. The ball is in Cagle’s court now, and it is time for a full court press. Cagle and his team need to go full steam ahead, as they have the ammunition to win. Fate is on the side of Cagle.

50. LINDA says:

Ralph Reed played a high stakes poker game, and got caught with the stash and having to explain it all away and saved only because of related party players that cannot vote for charges against him. When you play you pay!

Cagle 2006!

51. Concerned Taxpayer says:

I have learned today that the following are supporting Cagle over Reed: 1) GAYS, 2) So-called Ray Mc Berry supporters(the Southern Party and other forget hellers)(By the way, Ray Mc Berry won’t pledge alligiance to the American Flag) and Bill Simon(gay marriage and abortion on demand are okay by him)( He has never know a Republican that he wouldn’t attack)(He rarely attacks Democrats). I would say those are three good reasons to support Ralph Reed.

52. Bill Simon says:

Crooked Taxpayer,

Ralph Reed is a crook, plain and simple. Whether or not he gets indicted, he will STILL be a crook.

That alone is why I will not vote for him…EVER.

The fact that you are afraid to post a note under your own name demonstrates that you are likely just as crooked as Ralph Reed.

Do tell us, what business are you in, Crooked Taxpayer?

53. Demonbeck says:

He owns a couple of nightclubs in South Beach and San Francisco, Bill. You may have seen his ads in the Blade.

54. GOPeach says:

Why are you all so CHRISTO-PHOBIC.

If Christians “creep you out”…

Move to Iran or Iraq!

55. GOPeach says:

Do you think Casey is lily white.
    Do you think that his campaign is spotless.

Do you think that Casey is not exagerating?
    Do you think he is above reproach, squeeky clean?

Have you ever met a perfect Christian?

Jesus said if anyone says they have no sin,
    they are a liar.

I think Ralph has confessed he was wrong. He
    already said he has asked God to forgive him
    for bad business decisions.

Cagle keeps digging for dirt. Why doesn’t he
    just say… I have 12 years in the Senate.
    That should be enough.

He is going to be sorry for all this.
    I know it.

It’s funny how this works –
    The one who is the victim of the bully ususlly
    gets the sympathy from the optomistic and they
    rally with the one who is getting picked on.

Ralph does not strut around like a banny rooster.
    He is cheerful and kind. He is smart and he
    is a really nice guy. You should get to know
    him!

56. debbie0040 says:

Cagle is trying to distract from the fact he used his office to feather his nest. Nothing illegal that I am aware of there but that does not make it right.

57. Philly says:

A vote for Cagle is a vote for gays and left wing groups. A vote for Cagle is a vote against Christians. All the anti Christian factions in the GOP are supporting Cagle.
    The battle lines are drawn.

Let’s Roll!!

58. Demonbeck says:

GOPeach,

Jesus said, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.” I believe it was John 8:7.

And Ralph does strut around like a banny rooster.

59. Demonbeck says:

Matthew 6:

5: “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.”

6: “But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.”

7: “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”

8: “Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.”

60. Bill B. says:

Demonbeck,
    See Cagle’s website and brochures for his FAKE praying or either his obvious praying in church with cameras all around. Then re-read your post. Hmmmm?

Demonbeck
    Jul 12th, 2006 at 8:31 am

Matthew 6:

61. Demonbeck says:

“I know you are but what am I?” – Bill B.

I’d love to debate with you Bill, really I would, but the above is not debate.

62. Bill B. says:

Correct, it is not a debate. You and your boy are shown to be hypocrites. No debate…no discussion.

The only question is it FAKE prayer or an interuption of true worship? Either way, hypocritical.

Tell Satan hi Demon. 😉