Reed It And Weep

I’m still in Louisiana and in and out of email checking ability.  The other day I got lots and lots of emails about some awful front page post at Peach Pundit.  Reed people across the state were sending me demands for its deletion, nastygrams, etc.

Frankly, I didn’t think it was a bad piece — though clearly it was against Ralph.  We’ve tried getting pro-Ralph people on the front of Peach Pundit.  I told the Reed campaign if they had any recommendations to let me know.

In any event, I got to feeling guilty that Debbie had to waste her time emailing me to complain along with about thirty other people — I didn’t know that many Reed fans read Peach Pundit!  It seems like majority Cagle fans in the threads.  Well, a friend who is voting for Ralph volunteered to do a rebuttal at my request — just to make it fair.  Click below for why you should vote for Ralph.  Since GAWire wrote under a pseudonym, I’ll let this guy go anonymous unless he wants to identify himself in the comments.

Surprisingly enough, on the 4th of July, Ralph Reed won his second metro Atlanta straw poll in as many weeks, just two weeks to the day before the primary elections.  This tracked the momentum of the last couple of weeks, as Reed’s natural resiliency has shown forth.  I was talking to a good friend and trusted colleague who has been a strong Cagle supporter just a week or so ago, and she was explaining to me her evaluation of the Lt. Governor’s race, and stated to me her belief that the momentum had shifted into Reed’s corner. “ We were hoping the Abramoff issue would stick,

1. JP says:

I still say a Reed victory–even in the primary–will gain Georgia quite a bit of well-deserved mockery. Christian Posterboy doesn’t need to be Lt. Anything.

2. LeftOFLeft says:

Remind Cagle that Cher is ready for a comeback tour and will be happy to do a commercial with him singing “Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves.” LOL

that’ll put the icing on the cake.

3. Bull Moose says:

Just when you thought it was safe to step away from the computer, Erick finds a poor brain dead Reed follower to tow the line for the man.

I’m not going to break down the ladies arguement line by line. Let me say that first off, these so called “straw-polls” are a crock. They are not in any way demonstrative of anything. In fact, the one in Cobb County was run by one of Reed’s stalwart supporters, our own “Debbie”. No wonder Ralph won. Funny, more people voted for Ralph than attended the event…

Secondly, I don’t know any Cagle supporters that are going around bemoaning anything about Abramoff. Most of us, by and large, are for Casey Cagle because he is the most qualified candidate for this position hands down. It doesn’t matter who Ralph laundered money with or worked for to help expand casinos. Casey Cagle has the leadership and experience to be the Lt. Governor of our state.

Ralph Reed began his campaign on a negative note, making up accusations about Casey Cagle to hide his own ethical shortcomings. He hoped that Casey would take the bait and spend time setting the record straight so that Casey wouldn’t be able to let voter’s know about Ralph’s baggage. That’s sad. Ralph can’t run on his own credentials. He has to create negatives out of thin air against his opponent and hope that they stick. Ralph Reed is to ethics what Saddam Hussein is to law enforcement.

Ralph offers rhetorical sound bites, whereas Casey Cagle has real, hands on experience. It’s one thing to talk about service, it’s another to serve.

Finally, to the woman who has opined in favor of Reed here, I think you are underestimating Georgia Republican voters. I don’t think our state is ready to go down the path of nominating candidates who are potential felons and caught up in the largest corruption of congress investigation in our nation’s history and participated in laundering money through non-profits to hide it’s source so he could be paid to expand Indian casinos. No, I think Georgians are just a tad bit smarter than that.

I encourage everyone to go to http://www.caseycagle.com and read about Casey’s plan for Georgia’s future. You will see that he’s a real leader we can trust.

We just can’t gamble on Ralph Reed, he lacks the integrity and character to serve.

4. John Galt says:

The irony in the comments from Reed supporters is that they tout how much he has done for “The Party,” yet it is the election of Reed that will do the most to split and destroy “The Party.”

5. MountainDawg says:

Erick-Don’t worry about a little heat from the Reed crowd. In the south there is a saying: “a hit dog hollers”. The best response I’ve seen out of that crowd so far is the cut-and-paste where they take Reed’s emails and just cut and paste it on the posts. There are no original thoughts or comments by the Reed crowd. I’ve yet heard a single reason why I should vote for Ralph-they just try to destroy the other candidate(s). That’s OK-that’s the pattern of activitiy Ralph shows with our national Republicans too. Maybe if Reed had a legislative record or legislative experience or something to run on, all his attacks wouldn’t be needed. While I personally don’t like it, Cagle has needed to go negative. He is fighting a known political strategist that has a pattern of well-documented activity. Whether you personally like Cagle or not, at least he has a legislative record to attack. Reed has a habit of running negative campaigns for everyone else (1998 in Georgia), and everybody knew what would happen if he were the one on the ballot. For every issue, Reed will end up with 2 or 3 positions if it will get him elected. For the sake of our Republican party, and our state, we cannot stand by and watch our future be destroyed. We won’t only end up with a Democratic Lt. Gov, Reed will hurt Gov. Perdue as well as our majorities in the House and Senate.

6. The Busdriver says:

Good Lord, the liberal media chant rears its ugly head again.

Hey anonymous, you forgot such liberal publications as the Wall Street Journal, the Weekly Standard, the Washington Times, National Review, and WORLD magazine.

7. Chris says:

Out side of the “Reads PP and attends GOP breakfast meetings” crowd, does anyone know what the expected turnout will be for the primaries? Thats what is missing in these straw polls: The a-political moderates.

Georgia has flipped from being a one-party-Democratic state to being a one-party-Republican state. I think that fact will be obvious when you see the number of GOP primary ballots cast vs the number of Dem primary ballots cast.

More and more people are realizing that if you want a say in who will be serving in office, you get that say in the primaries.

So amoung these a-political moderates, who I believe lean republican, will Reed’s name recognition help or hurt him? Will the fact that the Cagle attack ads are backed up with news stories about the abramoff indictment(s), congressional reports, etc work in his favor. Most of the Republican leaning a-political moderates acknowledge a left leaning slant to the MSM, but don’t buy into a vast-left-wing-media-consiracy.

I should put together a taxonomy of the GOP… I think that would be an interesting excercise to figure out all the different interests that converged to elect Bush and Isakson with 58% of the vote in Georgia……

8. debbie0040 says:

Bullmoose, you must have flunked math in school or you just like spreading lies. There were over 1075 attending the BBQ and only a little over 500 votes cast.

I purposely stayed away from the straw poll at the BBQ because I knew whinners and poor losers like you would have something to say. I was not in charge of the poll and in fact when the counters requested of me that they needed more volunteers to help out, I asked the Cagle campaign to provide one and the Reed campaign to provide one.

I would strongly advise you to get used to losing

9. debbie0040 says:

Thanks for posting this Erick. I know you try to play fair and sometimes “children” misbehave when their parents are away on vacation. 🙂

10. larry smith says:

Debbie,

Since we know that you’re the kind of person who would stuff a ballot box when no one was looking (and that your boss Anthony Scott is even crazier than you are), why would we not expect you to now lie about having done it?

As I’ve said before, numbers don’t lie, and the LG returns were reflective of neither the people in the room nor the performance of other candidates on your ballot. You obviously faked the results, and the amazing thing to me is that you did it so ham-handedly.

But, what do you expect from the county organization that has spent the last year embarassing the entire state GOP time and again?

11. Nativeson says:

Hey, did you guys see this great Garrison Keillor piece about Reed in Salon? I think Keillor is an “L-word” — that is, a Lutheran! Ha, ha. You may have thought I was going to say “liberal”!

“If a preacher secretly accepts a bucket of money from a saloonkeeper to organize a temperance rally at a rival saloon and maybe send in a gang of church ladies to chop up the bar with their little hatchets, this would strike you and me as sleazy, but others are willing to make allowances, and so Ralph Reed’s political career is still alive and breathing in Georgia. He has bathed himself in tomato juice and hopes to smile his way through the storm.”

12. SouthernConservative says:

Who’s Garrison Keillor?

Ya’ll hear what Newt Gingrich said about Ralph Reed?

““I have worked with Ralph Reed over the years on many key conservative projects. Together, we worked to make sure that this is a country that understood that our rights come from our Creator, that this a country that has a tax code that favors families and favors the ability of parents to raise their children, and that this is a country where schools teach about America and American history and the great values that have made America unique, and that this is a country that has the kind of health care system so that every American can have a better future.

I know that in the times that Ralph and I have worked together, the energy, the intelligence, the courage, and the moral clarity that Ralph brought to those projects was stunning and historic. He has already made a contribution to America’s future. I am confident that Ralph both for Georgia and America that he will continue to make a contribution so that his children, your children, and my children can live in a better future. “”

13. debbie0040 says:

I did not go near the ballot box. As I have said repeatedly there both Cagle and Reed people assisting with every step of the process. Both Reed and Cagle workers watched every step of the process.

Question 1 on the BACK of the ballot had 454 responses which indicates voters skipped over candidates and voted on the back.

You are the one that is an embarassment to the Georgia GOP.

Give it a rest. Your side lost fair and square. Deal with it.

14. The Busdriver says:

Yes, the paragon of morality that is Newt Gingrich . . . Hearing Newt talk about “moral clarity” . . . makes me all warm inside.

For the record, didn’t Newt issue a press release the very next day saying he hadn’t in fact endorsed Ralph? It was in Political Insider, I believe.

15. CynicalGeek says:

I’m sorry but I just can’t bring myself to vote for Reed. There is enough muddy water with the money involved with the Abramoff deal to make me stay far far away.

16. The Busdriver says:

Dear Reed Ghost Writer,

How did you assemble the following sentence while keeping a straight face:

“Senator Cagle has placed himself at the same table as the Howard Deans and John Kerrys who have joined with the liberal media in attacking conservative leaders like Ralph Reed, George Bush, and James Dobson with campaigns of misrepresentation, personal grudge attacks, and reactionary leadership.”

It was your guy, Ralph Reed, that dragged Dobson into this mess. It was Ralph who used Dobson, without telling Dobson that the money funding his radio and print spots were being paid for with casino money. It was Ralph’s fault that Dobson got slimed, even though Dobson had done nothing wrong.

Check the emails. It’s all in there.

17. Philly says:

Larry, I attended the BBQ and I can tell you that Hobbs and Co. bent over backwards to insure a fair straw poll. I saw both Cagle and Reed workers calling supporters to come vote. The voting process was fair. You had to be over 18. When you turned in your ticket you got a voting slip. I saw big Cagle supporters, Sallye and Herb Bricker, at the front desk handing those out. Once you got your slip you took it to the table to pick up your ballot. I saw a big guy with glasses there. I did not know his name, but I had seen him sporting a Cagle stickers at other events. After you voted and turned in your ballot your finger was stamped with purple ink.

The ballots were taken to a table a the back of the room where around 8 – 10 were doing the counting. I saw someone with a Cagle t shirt at the table and someone with a Reed t shirt at the table.

This was all watched by both Reed and Cagle people. Your allegations sound just as far fetched as the ones O.J. used in his murder trial. I think I will start calling you O.J. You two have a lot in common…

18. SouthernConservative says:

Just like certain legislators from Casey’s endorsement list, eh, Nativeson?

What about the glowing comments from Senator Zell Miller, Sean Hannity, Bo Callaway, Roudolph Giuliani…shall I continue?

19. Smillican says:

I’m going to defend the folks in Cobb. I was there with Mr. Reed’s group, and finally got the opportunity to meet Debbie 🙂 She seems alright to me 😀

Besides that, I happened to run into a couple who are old friends of my family, I actually grew up going to church with them. They were involved with the vote counting process, and I know them well – it’s highly innacurate to accuse them of vote rigging.

20. debbie0040 says:

This is the battle raging within the Georgia GOP today with the Lt. Governor’s race. Reed is the most like Reagan and Lincoln. Cagle is the most like Bush 41 and Taylor.

Senator Tom McClintock
    Date: December 9, 1998
    Publication Type: Column GO BACK

For California Republicans, whose fortunes are lower now than at any time since 1958, there is the best of news and the worst of news.
    The best of news is that eight years after 1958 Ronald Reagan swept the governor’s race, carrying virtually every constitutional office. The worst of news is that eight years is also the period between the election of the last Whig president and the demise of the Whig party. Both cases are important for Republicans to understand as they contemplate their party’s future.

Reagan often urged Republicans to “paint our positions in bold colors, and not pale pastels.” There is an element in the Republican Party today that would have called – in fact, did call – this approach “divisive” and “polarizing.” Indeed, it was. Reagan sought to draw a sharp distinction between two ideologies: one that embraced the bureaucratic state as the best provider of happiness for the prevailing coalition, and one that embraced liberty as the best guarantor of happiness for the individual.

He knew that until these two ideologies were clearly delineated, voters had no basis upon which to choose.

Reagan was divisive in precisely the same way that Abraham Lincoln was divisive. “It is the eternal struggle between these two principles – right and wrong – throughout the world,” Lincoln said in 1858. One was freedom, the other was “the same spirit that says ‘you work and toil and earn bread, and I’ll eat it.’ No matter in what shape it comes…”

In the early 1960’s a great debate arose within the Republican party. On one side were those who sought to keep the party on a “moderate” path, closely mimicking the agenda of the ruling Democrats. On the other were those, like Reagan, who believed that the loyal opposition should stand clearly and forthrightly upon uncompromising principles of liberty.

Reagan’s wing prevailed, though not without serious obstacles. In 1964 Republicans learned anew that change does not come easily, especially when that change is from the security of the welfare state to the responsibility of freedom. “All experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed,” the Founders warned in the Declaration of Independence.

But Reagan was undeterred and unafraid to speak for a cause bigger than himself. “We’ve come to a moment in our history,” he said, “when party labels are unimportant. Philosophy is all important.” To the Republican establishment, Reagan was an ideologue destined to drag the party down to defeat.

The same debate raged within the Whig party in the 1840’s and 1850’s. The moderates of that age were determined to distance their party from the polarizing questions of slavery. In 1848 the Whigs elected slave-owner Zachary Taylor, who quickly transformed the party into a pale reflection of the opposition. Fearful of controversy that might alienate one group or another, the Whigs did not even adopt a party platform that year.

Within eight years the Whigs had vanished, while a new party emerged made up of widely disparate elements united in a single principled and highly controversial cause.

Reagan’s genius lay in his willingness to embrace principled causes, though they might be controversial, while uniting those disparate elements around a central tenet: that free men and women can decide their futures better as individuals than government can decide for them collectively. This was the ideological pillar that held aloft the so-called Republican “Big Tent.” When George Bush in Washington and Pete Wilson in California destroyed that pillar in the 1990’s by massively increasing taxes and regulations, the tent came crashing down and the diverse groups within it began brawling with each other.

Now a ruling party has emerged in California after sixteen years of stalemated government. It has the charter to govern. Its ideology is clear: to use the power of government to provide collectively for the demands of its constituencies.

The question is whether the Republicans understand the role of the loyal opposition: to offer a contrasting agenda of liberty and to take that agenda aggressively to the people.

Ronald Reagan and Abraham Lincoln understood that role. Zachary Taylor and George Bush did not. Which style of leadership the Republicans choose could well decide whether eight years from now the Republicans sweep the state as they did in 1966, or whether they go the way of the Whigs in 1856.

21. northside elephant says:

Bill B., Debbie

You are a bad copy of Ralph, you are cut off.

I really get cracked up by Debbie’s cut and paste abilities posting anything to steer the conversation away from Ralph’s weaknesses and Bill B.’s half-baked rumors that he tries to start.

22. Bill Simon says:

Sean Hannity is an annoying, whining idiot.

Zell Miller works for McKenna Long Aldridge which is the law firm banking on Ralph winning so that they can get even MORE access to state government activities than they already do. Also, MLA is the law firm being paid by the Reed campaign for election law guidance.

Rudy is kissing-up to Ralph so that Ralph will turn his “pastors” and other lemmings in favor of Rudy’s presidential bid.

As far as Bo Callaway, who knows why? I’m not even sure Bo knows, except he has probably been conned just like the Alabama Christian Coalition was conned into laundering money for Ralph back in 1999.

Got any others, SouthernConservative? Don’t waste my time putting Newt Gingrich’s name on the list….there’s another ass-kisser for votes.

Hell, instead of a sex-offender law that prohibits them from living 1000 feet from a school bus stop, they should pass a law that forbids disgraced politicans from being within 1000 feet of a microphone and a TV news camera.

23. tobin smith says:

Good piece and right on the money. I will look forward to reading the pudit on the morning of July 19 and to welcoming all the former Cagleites to the Reed team.

Cagle and his sidekick Joel have been outclassed every step of the way.

24. Demonbeck says:

Forgive me if this has already said, but the rebuttal states that we should vote for Reed because the media hates him and Reed was not charged with any crimes?

Is that the level that politics has stooped to?

25. Bull Moose says:

Debbie, I didn’t mean to question your role, other than I was told you were in charge of the straw poll. That’s all. No harm no foul.

We do agree on Karen Handel.

26. debbie0040 says:

Bullmoose, I am many things but I am not stupid. I distanced myself as far as I could from that straw poll. I knew if I was involved it would be controversial.

We do agree on Karen:)

27. Maurice Atkinson says:

Who really gives a rip about some straw polls. eh

Eh, they are simply for a good time. Eh, Ralph got his people there, good job. Eh, Reed voters vote on the 19th. Eh, now go put up some more signs and quit whining eh.