RLC Endorses Cagle

This is good news for Casey.

The Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia has endorsed Senator Casey Cagle for Lieutenant Governor.
With our leaders in Washington losing their focus on traditional conservative Republican values – fiscal responsibility, limited government, free enterprise and strong ethics – it is vital that the candidates offered up by the Republican Party in Georgia be true conservatives. The Republican Liberty Caucus of Georgia believes that Casey Cagle is such a conservative.
Casey is a successful, self made businessman who was elected to the State Senate in 1994 at the age of 28. He has compiled an impressive legislative record fighting for lower taxes, free markets and private property rights. As Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, Casey was a leader in the legislative effort to simplify Georgia’s corporate tax code. He sponsored an income tax cut that passed the Senate in 2006 and has cosponsored legislation that would completely phase the state income tax out of existence. He has voted against every proposed tax increase.

It is also interesting in light of Reed’s eminent domain attack against Casey. The libertarian leaning caucus that puts property rights ahead of all else has just endorsed the guy Reed says is soft on property rights.

[UPDATE] Chris Farris, the RLC Chairman, sent me a statement which reads, in part:

We are saddened by the Reed campaign’s false television attacks on Sen. Cagle. Eminent domain abuse is a serious issue. Sen. Cagle has been a champion of private property rights, and we dismiss and rebuke Mr. Reed’s misrepresentation of his excellent record.

1. Tater Tate says:

How is this good news for Cagle and bad for Reed? This group is controlled by Cagle people, and particularly Sen. David Shafer.

Things are getting rediculous, but surely no one could be surprised by this?

They may excuse Cagle for missing the SB 86 vote, but obviously the Meeks don’t. They endorsement of Reed speaks volumes and more loudly than this meaningless group.

I join the Meeks in supporting Reed, the true champion of private property rights for Georgians. Let Cagle go show some children around the capitol.

2. JaseLP says:

I’m glad to see the RLC endorse Casey Cagle.

I’m sad to see that Ralph Reed has resorted to mistruths and falsehoods in this campaign.

3. bowersville says:

How is it good for Cagle? Reed lied, Reed looses. But you blindly follow, so it means nothing to you. So what does that mean to you?

4. rugby_fan says:

it seems as if GA GOP activists believe the fate of the party rests in this campaign.

Moreover they believe the winner will create a Republican utopia in Georgia regardless of if they win the GE, although, that’s probably gonna happen.

This creates for a very interesting race…

(btw: IMO two best races this year will be Gov–if, and only if MT is nominated–and Lt Gov. Sorry PP fans, no republican will *ever* defeat Irvin…no matter what)

5. debbie0040 says:

Give me a break. Cagle is counting on libertatian, moderate vote and left wing crossover vote to win the primary.

This proves the more moderate GOP groups are supporting Cagle. No suprise.

Cagle is the one that lied not Reed.

Rugby Fan, famous last words. I hear Roy Barnes thought the same thing. I heard the Dems thought the same thing about the GOP taking over both State Houses..

It is rather humerous to see you Cagle supporters upset about Reed’s ads. Well be prepared, Cagle is NOT the squeaky clean candidate you thought he was…

Reed is just striking back against Cagle. Cagle bought this all on himself when he went negative. You now the old saying, “If you live in a glass house, it is not a good idea to throw rocks….”

6. Chris says:

Debbie,

Repeating “Cagle Lied” doesn’t make it true, any more than the left’s chant of “Bush Lied” makes that claim true.

7. Maurice Atkinson says:

Debbie,, Ralph has spent a lifetime throwing rocks, some legitimately and many illegitimately. He’s reaping a harvest of his antics.

I remember the grade school bully well. The kid used to taunt myself and others for various reasons. One day we had enough. The kid was whipping up on another and everyone just piled on in the sand pit. As I recall, he had an attitude adjustment. Ralph’s getting his.

8. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

You are dead wrong with your description of the Republican Liberty Caucus.

You once stated that you considered yourself a “Reagan Republican”. Yet you tend to to shun all the values that Reagan promoted.

Can you tell me, Debbie, who is responsible for saying this:
    “I believe that the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. The basis of conservatism is the desire for less government interference and more individual freedom.”

I’ll answer my own question: Ronald Reagan

So please, Debbie. Spare us of all of your Neo-Con holier-than-thou banter. The RLC is not a “moderate” group. It is a group that promotes the traditional values of the Republican Party, small government, personal responsibility, and individual rights. I’m tired of neo-cons attempting to subvert the traditions of the GOP by labeling all traditional republicans as “moderates”.

If you consider group that promotes fiscal conservatism, free markets, individual rights, and personal responsibility to be liberal or moderate than you are NOT a Reagan Republican, nor are you a true conservative.

Jace

9. debbie0040 says:

Jace, Reagan was also a social conservative, the RLC is not. You need to investigate Reagan’s beliefs.

Reagan withheld funding from international contraception programs. Reagan declared 1983 to be the “Year of the Bible”.

Reagan was a Christian and often referred to his beliefs in speeches. “”[Not] until now has there ever been a time in which so many of the prophecies are coming together. There have been times in the past when people thought the end of the world was coming, and so forth, but never anything like this.”
    –President Reagan December 6, 1983

At a 1971 banquet for California state senator James Mills, then-Governor Reagan broke it all down for the honoree during the dessert course:

“In the 38th chapter of Ezekiel, it says that the land of Israel will come under attack by the armies of the ungodly nations, and it says that Libya will be among them. Do you understand the significance of that? Libya has now gone Communist, and that’s a sign that the day of Armageddon isn’t far off.
    “Biblical scholars have been saying for generations that Gog must be Russia. What other powerful nation is to the north of Israel? None. But it didn’t seem to make sense before the Russian revolution, when Russia was a Christian country. Now it does, now that Russia has become communistic and atheistic, now that Russia has set itself against God. Now it fits the description of Gog perfectly.

“For the first time ever, everything is in place for the battle of Armageddon and the Second Coming of Christ. It can’t be too long now. Ezekiel says that fire and brimstone will be rained upon the enemies of God’s people. That must mean that they will be destroyed by nuclear weapons.”

In an interview published in a December 1983 issue of People magazine, the most powerful man in the world revealed that:

“[T]heologians had been studying the ancient prophecies — what would portend the coming of Armageddon– and have said that never, in the time between the prophecies up untiI now, has there ever been a time in which so many of the prophecies are coming together. There have been times in the past when people thought the end of the world was coming, and so forth, but never anything like this.”

Since it is run by Shafer, it is not suprise they endorsed Cagle, duh.

I am a true Reagan Conservative. I am sick and tired of moderates like you trying to label social conservatives as crazy or extreme.

I am not a neocon. I hear Cheney and Bush described in that way by liberals. I guess you are upset by them as well.

10. debbie0040 says:

Chris, Cagle retracted his statement about Taylor not threatening him. How is that not a lie? Cagle told numerous stories about why he missed the vote on eminent domain, all but one was a lie.

11. HSC Republican says:

Debbie,
    What about Ralph lying in his TV ad! He bashed the whole Republican State Senate and Sonny! Is every Republican in the state liberal except Ralph????

12. BB says:

Ditto what Jace submitted. The RLC IS the conservative wing of the GOP representing a much larger faction of strict constructionists…less government, lower spending, tax reform.

13. debbie0040 says:

HSC, you have the two Lt. Governor candidates confused. Cagle is the one that gave $ 1,000 to Democrat Mark Taylor then lied about Taylor threatening him. Cagle even retracted that statement.

Reed should do what it takes to win, period. Let the chips fall where they may….

Everytime Cagle mentions Abramoff, he bashes the Bush Adminstration and other Republicans because they all had ties with Abramoff so stop being a hypocrite!!

14. debbie0040 says:

The RLC is socially moderate and controlled by Sen. Shafer. What do you expect? I guess the Primary on July 18th will determine how many Georgia voters consider themselves in line with the RLC or other groups that are both fiscally and socially conservative…

15. HSC Republican says:

Debbie, Bush did not take MILLIONS from Reed KNOWING the money came from the gambling tribes! Reed has proved he will do whatever it takes (Remembr Mitch) The problem is Ralph’s tricks always backfire! Will you say though that Sonny, Eric Johnson, Tommie Williams, and other leading State Senators are LIBERAL because they supported the Bill Casey voted for. Ralph is gasping for air! Debbie open your eyes!

PS Casey would not have had to give Taylor any money if Ralph ran ethical campaigns!

16. stephaniemills21 says:

I think these latest polling results from Strategic Vision say it all:

24. Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Ralph Reed, a Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor? (Republicans only)
    Favorable 38%
    Unfavorable 47%
    Undecided 15%

25. Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Casey Cagle, a Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor? (Republicans only)
    Favorable 43%
    Unfavorable 20%
    Undecided 37%

If your unfavorables cover almost half of the primary voters, you will not win.

17. Maurice Atkinson says:

Debbie, in my opinion, the Abramoff issues has tentacles that spread all over. You’re seeing the effects in various states. It’s unfortunate that some of our leaders have subcombed to the lure of big money. It is an issue that is not going away.

I’ve heard and spoken to highly credible people who have indicated that the lobbying scandal is fueling the anti-incumbancy flames. There is a significant trend for more than a year. One highly credible person said, unless there is a dramatic unification of conservatives to promote a solid agenda there will be a tsunami effect in November.

Ralph happens to be in the thick of it with one of the key players. He can’t escape it by decrying the liberal media. The facts are well documented.

Debbie, The RLC has endorsed some of Ralph’s senate supporters. Does this concern you? I wouldn’t attempt to discredit this organization for 1 candidate.

18. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

There is nothing wrong with quoting the Bible. Nor is there anything wrong with declaring a year “The Year of the Bible”. Being a Christian and demonstrating your beliefs is not a bad thing. And it doesn’t necessarily make you a social conservative.

When you get to the point where it causes you to restrict individual liberty, then you become a social conservative.

Debbie. Quit Lying. You are not a true Reagan Conservative. You are a NEO-CON. Bush and Cheney are NEO-CONS. I personally don’t care if liberals labled them as such…even a broken clock is right twice a day, but that doesn’t mean we keep time it by though. Bush is a fiscal liberal and believes in MORE, not less government. He has created MORE government departments, not less. And he has EXPANDED not decreased the powers of government. That is fact, Debbie, not fiction.

They say “everything comes back around in time”. Well, to quote you, GET USED TO IT! The time of the Neo-Cons is fading fast. The time in which Neo-Cons abused the Reagan legacy is fading fast. The traditional Republican party is making a comeback and there is NOTHING you can do about it. Sorry.

19. debbie0040 says:

Jace, when you say traditional, be honest and label it for what it is. You mean Rockefeller Republican. These Republicans opposed Reagan when he ran in 1976 and in 1980. I find it extremely ironic that you now embrace part of Reagan’s legacy. You Rockefeller Republicans were opposed to Reagan’s defense spending.

I embrace all of Reagan’s legacy, not just the fiscal part..

If you think true Reagan conservatives will just sit still, then I would advise you to think again.

I disagree with the pork spending in Washington. I disagree with the Prescription Drug Plan. I disagree with Bush’s stance on illegal immigration.

I agree with the Iraq War. Does that make me a Neo Con?

20. debbie0040 says:

JAce, I bet you believe in legalizing marijuana too. After all the drug laws restrict personal liberty. I bet you are in favor of letting gays marry. After all we don’t want to restrict their personal liberty. Tell me, what do you think Reagan would have thought about gay marriage?

21. HSC Republican says:

Debbie, I bet you voted against Isakson in the primary because he was to liberal for you

22. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

I do not believe in legalizing drugs. I support defense spending, and I agree with the Iraq War. Don’t make assertions that you can’t back up with fact, NEO-CON!

As for gay marriage, I think being gay is a sin. But it isn’t a crime. And gay marriage has no effect on me, nor will it affect my children because unlike most NEO-CONS I will take the personal responsibility to raise my children right. I won’t blame my parental shortcomings on gays or liberals.

I don’t know how he would have seen Gay Marriage. I assume he would have been against it.

But, if you look at the candidates that the GA Republican Liberty Caucus has endorsed, most of them are against it too.

That’s the thing about you, Debbie. You’re a holier-than-thou NEO-CON. You can’t accept anyone who doesn’t pander to the far right. You label them as liberals over one issue. By endorsing its candidates, the RLC demonstrates that true conservatives are not defined by one issue.

Face it, Deb. Neo-cons may be able to pull off one or two more national elections tops. Your breed is dying out, and the true conservatives are making a comeback. GET USED TO IT! 😉

23. Briardawg says:

I think the RLC’s vision is in step with Reagan’s vision of American to be the City on a Hill. I say kudos for Cagle for receiving the endorsement.

24. Jimbo says:

Jace, you had better hope we are not dying out. Reagan was a social AND fiscal conservative. Until we became active the GOP did not control both houses of Congress and the Whitehouse. The GOP did not become the majority party as it is today until we became active.

I am not suprised that you support gay marriage.

Quit trying to betray Reagan’s legacy. He was both fiscal and social conservative.

Jace, are you a bit touchy today? Could it be you know the Cagle Race Teams has wrecked?

SouthernComfort, Jace and Briardawg, get your refills of Prozac. You will need it when Reed wins.

This race IS the battle for the heart and soul of the Georgia GOP. Maybe the best side win .

25. jacewalden says:

Jimbo,

You’re either a dumbass or a poor student of history…I’ll let you decide which.

You NEO-CONS are not the reason Reagan won. I’ll give you credit for George H.W. Bush, but not Reagan. Hell, maybe not even him. Weren’t you guys backing Pat Robertson?

You’re breed is dying out. To quote a Neo-Con hero, “this insurgency is in it’s last throes.”

I hope you’re used to disappointment in life, Jimbo. You’re going to be in for quite a bit of it over the next few years.

26. jacewalden says:

BTW Jimbo,

You have NO business talking about fiscal conservatism. The Congress and the white House (both controlled by Neo-Cons for now) have been fiscally wreckless, I’d even go so far as to say “liberal” in their spending habits. The also raised the debt ceiling, and have managed to plunge us into record deficits…

To quote you, “Reagan was a social AND a fiscal conservative”.

If that is true, then how can you possibly say that the NEO-CONS are “true Reagan Conservatives”? Have fun spinning that one.

27. Cobb County says:

stephaniemills21

I am glad that you brought up the Strategic Vision poll. You, however, forgot to list question # 23.

23. If the Republican primary for Lieutenant Governor was held today, whom would you vote for Ralph Reed or Casey Cagle? (Republicans only)
    Ralph Reed 44%
    Casey Cagle 41%
    Undecided 15%

Funny how you included questions 24 and 25, but forgot 23. I’m sure it was an honest mistake though. It looks like the race is going to be very close. It should be fun.

28. debbie0040 says:

Jace if your definition of a neocon is to be against the fiscal policy that Washington has exhibited the last few years, then I am a neocon. If a neocon believes the less government is the best government, then I am a neocon. If a neocon believes that the best government is the one closest to the people not Washington, then I am a neocon.
    If a neocon believes that pork should be cut out of budget, then I am a neocon. If a neocon believes that if an elected official ads pork to the budget, then the money should be taken out of the official’s paycheck or campaign fund, then I am a neocon.

Jace, You should not be calling anyone a dumba**. Robertson was in 1988 not 1980. I supported and was a delegate for Bush 41 at that time.
    I also supported Bush over Reagan in 1980 and I then became a Reagan convert.

29. debbie0040 says:

HSC Republican, We will know way before July 18th who is the one that has crashed…And it ain’t Reed

30. debbie0040 says:

Cobb County, or someone, can you please give a us a link to that poll?

Reed has just begun to run his ads. It won’t be that close

31. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

You need to take lessons in critical reading:

(1) I didn’t call Jimbo a dumbass. I said he was either a dumbass OR a poor student of history…the jury is still out on that one.

(2) Neo-Cons SUPPORT the current spending habits of the administration. After all, it is a neo-con that hasn’t vetoed a single spending bill (Reagan Vetoed over 80) and, for now, neo-cons do control the budget. So, if you hate the current spending habits, then you might not be a neo-con.

(3) Neo-Cons SUPPORT creating MORE GOVERNMENT. Take a look at what Bush has done…creating Dept. Homeland Security, Expanding the Powers of the Executive Branch. Supreme Court: KELO DECISION–Need I say more? If you don’t support these ideas, you may not be a neo-con.

(4) I know when Pat Robertson Ran for office, Debbie. His attempt in 1988 is the attempt I was referring to.

Debbie, can’t you see? If you care at all about the Reagan legacy, then why are you letting neo-cons piss on it and drag it through the mud?

32. debbie0040 says:

This poll is very intersting….

You mentioned Reagan along with Robertson.

I am not letting them do that. I am very vocal in my disapproval of the fiscal policies, but I do think they are beginning to turn around.

That poll had an intersting question about Bush being a conservative like Reagan. I agree with the results.

I do agree with Bush on a lot of his policies though.

33. HSC Republican says:

If Cagle is the one who has crashed how come in every poll he keeps moving up, while Reed keeps going down. This time last year it was a cake walk for Reed. Now he is going to loose. Reed has not only crashed he is burning! I would also bet Sonny and the GOP will not take Reed critizing their bill. I think Reed is in over his head!

34. debbie0040 says:

HSC, Reed has just begun to run his ads. The next poll will be interesting… Reed will win by 15 %

It looks like Gov. Perdue and Pres. Bush lost ground as well. This poll shows Taylor doing better against Perdue than Cox and the previous polls showed the opposite.

What is interesting is the question about overturning Rowe vs. Wade. 55% in favor. That was all voters not just GOP voters. That is a good sign for Reed.

35. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

What I meant by that was, I’ll give the Neo’s credit for George H.W. Bush, but not credit for Reagan. Hell, maybe not even credit for [George H.W. Bush] weren’t you guys backing Pat Roberstson.

BTW, thanks for that poll. It was pretty interesting. But here was my favorite part:

9. Do you view President Bush as a conservative in the mode of Ronald Reagan?
    (Republicans only)
    No 54%
    Undecided 15%

Debbie, it’s okay not to be a Bush/Cheney fan and still be a Republican. If you’re displeased with Bush, then you should probably look a little more indepth into his policies. I’ll submit to you this:

Here is my friend, Jason’s quote about this publication:
    “you are a big Bush supporter…well…it’s going to piss you off. If you are like may conservatives that I know who are fed up with Bush, then you will probably just get more angry. If you are a liberal or a Democrat…you probably won’t like it either because it actually makes Constitutional arguments against Bush’s actions rather than just ranting for 31 pages about much they hate him.”

Enjoy.

36. HSC Republican says:

Debbie,
    I am pro-life and support Cagle! It is crazy to think that Reed will win all the pro-life vote. It is also crazy to think Reed will win by 15. It is going to be a close race no matter what. Cagle is just starting to run his adds as well. If Reed is doing so well with Republicans why were his unfavorables so high, much higher then his positives? Let me guess the Liberal Media…..lets hear a new excuse!

37. HSC Republican says:

I think Purdue will stay neutral as well….but it is not smart for Reed to be bashing a bill Sonny signed into law either!

38. debbie0040 says:

HSC, Reed had been getting slammed with negative publicity from the liberal press and from the Cagle Campaign and has just started running ads. The next poll will be different. Reed will win by 15%. You also need to look at the other questions and the results.

39. debbie0040 says:

HSC, it is not smart for Cagle to keep bringing up Abramoff when Republicans and the Whitehouse have ties to Abramoff as well.

It is not smart for Cagle to slam Reed when he himself is ethically challenged.

40. HSC Republican says:

Debbie,
    Bush did not take MILLIONS from Abramoff, to make sure a gambling tribe can continue making huge profits. Bush did not go on a golf trip to Scotland. Bush did not use Abramoff to “hump into” corporate lobbying including Enron. Bush did not help tarnish the College Republican name/image. I think you are just saying Bush to try and avoid anwsering the tough questions.

41. nfire says:

Debbie has no reason to say that Reed’s going to win by 15%. It is a phony number she invented because another guy on here kept saying Casey by 9%.

42. stephaniemills21 says:

Cobb County,

I have no dog in this fight, as I am a democrat (though i wish Reed will win cause he will be easier to beat), but did not include #23 cause I believe that folks will get to know cagle more and more as the ad war goes on and that the small lead that Reed has now will disappear. To me, #23 is basically about name recognition, while Reed’s unfavorable rating is more telling of the direction the numbers will go. 37% do not even know enough about Cagle to give him a rating, favorable or unfavorable – the closer we get to election day and with more air time for Cagle, that number will go down.

If 47% of the voters do not like you it is really hard to get enough votes to take the race.

Thanks,

Steph.

43. Chris says:

For the sake of civility, I’ll ask that Jace and the other RLC supporters refrain from the name calling. The phrase neo-con has multiple meanings and mean different things to different people.

For example, one of the charges against the neo-cons is that they lied to get us into the Iraq war. I think, and some may disagree, that the Iraq war – although there were many mistakes made – is a good thing.

For some people the label neo-con means a Republican who believes in massive social spending (think medicare part d). These things I, and most of the RLC caucus, disagree with.

Our purpose is that to make sure the fiscal/limited government side of the GOP is heard from when our elected leaders are making decisions to create new social programs.

44. MountainDawg says:

Reed will fight for property rights until some group gets him to lobby to put a casino on it!!

45. LINDA says:

I had to comment on Debbie’s assertion that Russia fits the definition of GOG in the Bible. Russia has Putin as the head of their country, and he is a born again Christian, just as our United States has a born again Christian as a leader. Russia is not our enemy, and unfortunately we had foolish leaders that established Zionist Israel after World War II. The Lord knows the time of what will be, as no man knows this. Out of a lust for power and money, Palestinians were forced out of their home land. It was not done by the will of God. Now, we have no choice but to fight the terrorism that was created by Europe and the United States after the bloody massacres of World War I and World War II. Istael was established for strategic monetary reasons, and it has nothing whatsoever with the prophecy of the second coming of Christ. These leaders that were involved in this were not interested in making way for Christ, as it was done for power in the Middle East. Christ does not empower greedy leaders with his divine will. Christ alone will set the time and the place of the final battle.

46. PeachQueen says:

Debbie 0040 seems to have it straight in her head, too bad there is not a soul alive that agrees with her.

She is a naive, misinformed fanatical Mother Earth-worshiper and fervent America-hater— and those are her good traits.