No charges for McKinney

A grand jury has decided not to indict Cynthia McKinney.

A grand jury declined Friday to indict Rep. Cynthia McKinney in connection with a confrontation in which she admitted hitting a police officer who tried to stop her from entering a House office building.

The grand jury had been considering the case since shortly after the March 29 incident, which has led to much discussion on Capitol Hill about race and the conduct of lawmakers and the officers who protect them.

“We respect the decision of the grand jury in this difficult matter,” said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Wainstein.

His statement, released late Friday, also included support for the officer involved, Paul McKenna, and the Capitol Police. He said, “This is a tremendously difficult job, and it is one that Officer McKenna and his colleagues perform with the utmost professionalism and dignity.”

With that, Wainstein closed a case that has simmered with racial and political tension.

The Smoking Gun has the original police report.

1. Ellis Wyatt says:

Hopefully McKinney has learned a lesson and will learn to respect the police officers that put their lives on the line to protect her… and if she stops being such a racist, that’d be cool too.

2. buzzbrockway says:

McKinney hasn’t learned any lesson. In fact I predict it won’t be long before another incident along these lines takes place. McKinney views herself much more highly than she ought to.

3. Demonbeck says:

As much as I hate C. McKinney, I have to say that if Patrick Kennedy and William Jefferson can get away with their misdeeds, the she should be allowed the same treatment.

Personally, though, I think all three deserve to have the book thrown at them.

4. RiverRat says:

Demonbeck, that is a pretty pathetic attempt to single out Democrats when the number of Republicans currently under investigation or even convicted of worse behavior is incredibly larger. Personally, I’m glad that Dem leadership stripped Jefferson of his committee assignments – I don’t think he’ll get away with anything. I wish the GOP would respond as responsibly when one of their members runs afoul of the law.

5. buzzbrockway says:

Uh RR, the GOP has a rule that if your indicted you must give up your leadership post, – hence Delay was replaced. I don’t think the Dems have such a rule, nor do I recall them having such a rule when they controlled the House for 40+ years.

There are a some Republicans and Democrats under investigation, but to pretend the GOP turns a blind eye GOPers who get into trouble is silly.

6. Buzz, we might not have the rule but it hasn’t been an issue. McKinney and Jefferson haven’t been indicted yet and Kennedy’s DUI hardly sets him apart from the rest of Congress (both parties).

With the exception of Jefferson, the Democrats misdeeds in the press have been mostly personal – punching a cop, drunk driving. Sure it hurts the people involved, but it isn’t part of a systematic corruption that robs the tax payers of their hard earned dollars.

I in no way mean to diminish what some Democrats have done, but the Republican attitude seems to be: you are an upstanding citizen as long as you don’t drink and drive or punch a cop. Not so.

7. The other thing is, we are incapable of being involed in systematic corruption because the Republicans have removed us from the system as the majority party. Probably the biggest idiot in a Democratic bribe incident is the briber.

8. midtowndem says:

McKinney should have been charged with a felony, the fact that an elected official would strikes a police office makes me very angry.

McKinney like Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard both appear to be above the law and have used race as a tactical maneuver to avoided prosecution.

I started posting at http://midtowndem.blogspot.com

9. GAWire says:

chris, I would advise all of my dem friends just to not try and defend McKinney or Jefferson … those are two you guys need to just write off – the same way that we don’t putting any stock in Duke Cunningham or Bob Ney (and hopefully Ralph Reed).

As for Cynthia, I heard that the grand jury finally decided not to pass an indictment b/c when they talked to her, she apparently wouldn’t shut up about how Tupac is still alive and is such a great American, so finally the jury folks got tired of it and just decided to stop their misery by declaring an end to the whole thing.

Who can blame them … if I had to be around someone as absurd as Cynthia for any given time, I would do whatever I could to get out of there, too … even if that meant going to hang out with Shirley Franklin!

10. Demonbeck says:

RiverRat,

If I missed anybody, I am sorry. This is not a partisan issue for me. The last two scandals similar in nature involving Republicans were Duke Cunningham and Tom Delay – both were constantly slammed and hounded by the media and both recieved the punishment they deserved. Now the last three scandals – involving McKinney, Jefferson and Kennedy (curiously all Dems) – have received little press (in comparison to Cunningham and Delay) and no charges that I have seen.

Frankly, no elected official should be above the law. They should all be treated the same way you or I would be treated in these situations. It disgusts me to no end that any of them might get off.