Cathy Attacks

I’m kind of surprised that Cathy Cox is going on the attack straight out of the box, but more power to her. She’s going after the big guy, a clear reference to you know who.

She’s also trying to make the case that she will not be business as usual. I don’t know though, the ad doesn’t really do much for me. Like with Sonny’s ads, they are good, but they don’t leave me with anything.

1. rugby_fan says:

On a similar(ish) note, I saw not one, not two, not three, but FOUR Cathy yard signs today in front of houses in Ansley Park.

THat being said, they were all within about a quarter square mile radius of each other.

Perhaps her campaign is not as dormant as people have been saying.

2. rugby_fan says:

Also, I think her strategy at this point is to go negative in the hopes that the people who just endorsed/switched to the MT campaign stay at home/rejoin her campaign.

Not so confident it will work, but it will make it closer than it is now.

If this is what she is trying to do, the timing for it is perfect I think.

3. stephaniemills21 says:

I have to agree with Erick **shudder** that the ad did not really leave me with a good impression.

Not a bad tack to take (using MT’s own tag line against him), but the delivery is what ruined it for me. She sounds like someone running for high school Senior Class president. The words are all correct, but she tends to emphasis the wrong sylables, bad timing, etc.

Cathy’s media team sure has a lot to learn from Perdue and Taylor’s.

4. rugby_fan says:

If I may be allowed to say one more thing…Cathy’s supporters (and others) insist that she is the only Dem capable of giving SP a run for his money in November.

Just wondering where people get that perception considering she has run a very bland campaign, filled with blunders in recent months, and taking into account MT’s history of campaigns.

Simply asking cause I think it will be close with either candidate, but I am not so sure about CC now than a month or two ago.

5. atlantaman says:

I don’t think she is going negative right out of the box. Of the ads I’m aware of her first was the feel good rural Georgia homage sitting on the front porch and then her second was the feel good stroll with the diverse group of folks following her in the Capitol.

If I were her campaign manager I would be telling her to do the exact same thing. I’m sure they’ve seen similar polls results that show Taylor breaking away. If there ever was a time to launch an attack it’s now. She’ll probably want to finish the campaign on a high note.

I thought it was an interesting ad, seems to be going after the women.

6. Romegaguy says:

I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that someone who used their first vote as a newly elected state rep to re-elect Speaker Murphy (when Dubose Porter was running against him in hopes to get rid of the good old boys) is somehow against the status quo of government and will work to change it. She became Asst Sec of State (and ultimately SOS) because Murphy pressured Zell to reward someone that had been a part of the good old boy-Murphy group.

This is her best ad to date but it still pales when compared with what Mark and Sonny are running.

7. stephaniemills21 says:

Bill,

I think that is the nicest you have ever disagreed with anyone. ;). As compared to her other ads, it is a good ad, but compared to Sonny’s and Mark’s, I do not think it is even in the same league (as far as production values go).

8. Melb says:

That ad made me laugh. It is so stupid. Nope, I’m not the big guy. REALLY? It was not effective, like everything else on her campaign. Those secret backroom deals…to get children healthcare…how could Taylor do such a thing? Cox is anything, but an outsider. She is an insider!! She took over her dad’s legislative seat and was selected to be asst SOS so she could run for the job a few years later and her HUSBAND IS A LOBBYIST!!!!

9. Once again, her ad isn’t saying anything other than she has a “vision” and will bring change. Insider Advantage said that her commercials were not effective because she has warm and fuzzy feel good commercials compared to Taylor’s “concrete programs” introduced in his. This one is just saying that she isn’t a big guy. Ok fine.

10. Decaturguy says:

If sort of mentioning the name of your opponent is an “attack” then so be it, but I don’t really interpret this as an “attack ad.”

What I interpret it as is a desperate ploy to bring women voters (who’ll make up 60% of the primary) back into the fold. Don’t vote for the “Big Guy,” vote for the woman … that’s me.

11. truerblue says:

Puhleeze! MELB-get your facts straight or get off the blog sites. 1) Cathy did not “take over” her Father’s seat, she ran a winning campaign and was elected by the people fair and square. 2) Her husband is not a lobbyist, he’s a lawyer.

As far as this being an attack ad I disagree. She’s just capitalizing on what he personally chose as his “nickname”, “logo”, etc…. Many people feel that it is demeaning to the “average guy” to be called a “little guy”. Plus, do you actually think that “the Big Guy” could handle 4 years of being a governor. Stress and obesity equals heart attack.

12. Tommy_a2b says:

Commercial was boring and lame. I have not read all the back and forth but I was not impressed.

13. LINDA says:

I think the commercial is to the point. I would love to see a race between Governor Perdue and Cathy Cox. I think she made a mistake by not switching to the Republican Party a few years back like the big guys did, and then she could have ran in the Republican Primary.

14. stephaniemills21 says:

With a name like Truerblue you would think that you might actually say something true.

yes, Cathy ran for a seat on her own, but you cannot deny that it was her father’s seat before it was hers, and that name recognition probably had something to do with it.

Second, her husband is a lobbyist. Even Cathy’s spokesperson thinks so.

From the Athens Banner Herald:

Cox’s husband, Mark Dehler, is a lawyer and former lobbyist.

Dehler had been paid $123,000 over three years by the Judicial Council of Georgia. He halted lobbying at the end of the 2003 session, Cox spokesman Peter Jackson said Friday.

15. Booray says:

The commercial stunk. If you’re going to hit someone in the mouth, then hit them in the mouth.

Give some facts, too – the implicit attack with no facts to back it up just doesn’t get the job done.

16. rugby_fan says:

“I think she made a mistake by not switching to the Republican Party a few years back like the big guys did, and then she could have ran in the Republican Primary.”

I hope you are being sarcastic.

Would have been a terrible idea for her to have switched parties.

A) Her political beliefs make her a dem
    B) She could have ran in the GOP Primary and lost. She has a chance in the Dem to win.

17. UGAMatthew says:

Hey y’all,
    I hear she’s planning on putting coke in the water fountains and installing free vending machines by the lunchroom!!!

That ad is ridiculous; sophomoric.

18. Demonbeck says:

Father’s Day is tomorrow. Geez, you Democrats are so dumb. :p

I accept your Father’s Day wishes though.

19. LINDA says:

Actually, when I wished fathers out there a Happy Father’s Day, I did not think I would post another comment this weekend. I did not want to miss putting forward a gesture of good wishes to fathers out there. But since today is the day, Happy Father’s Day! We are taking my beloved husband to see “Cars” today, and then to the restaurant of his choice.

20. Bull Moose says:

I think it is stunning that Cathy’s campaign kind of fell flat. Most people expected BIG things from her.

By most accounts, many believe she is the best Democrat positioned to take on the Governor, yet her campaign looks like she’s running for amateur hour queen.

She did a great job as Secretary of State and you’d think that she’d play up that record.

I expected a stronger, more cutting age campaign from her.