Signs, alcohol, and video tapes.

Since Erick likes to report on sign sightings, I thought I’d tell you what I saw while traveling to and from Blairsville this weekend. There were a couple of Cagle signs, but none near Cagle Road oddly enough ;-). There were several signs for candidates to replace Cagle in the Senate (District 49). Lee Hawkins had the most, but I did see two for Mark Musslewhite, another Republican in that race and even one for the Democrat Arturo Corso. I must say Mr. Musslewhite’s signs were a mess as it looked like he tried to pack the sign full of campaign slogans – impossible to read while traveling just above the posted speed limit.

While in Blairsville, I saw no signs for any statewide candidates, and very few for local candidates. In fact, the most popular political sign read “Alcohol kills! Vote No on July 18.” Both Blairsville and Union County have liquor by the drink referendum on the ballot, which is the issue on most people’s minds in that County. My in-laws tell me the letters to the editor from the “vote yes” crowd basically tell the Church folks to quit messing with their drinking and in exchange the drinkers won’t mess with the Churches.

Back in Gwinnett, several Reed and Cagle signs have popped up in recent days in and around Lawrenceville. Also, several Kemp signs have appeared, many right next to signs for State Rep. John Heard (District 104) who is locked in a primary battle with Lawrenceville City Councilman David Rodriguez.

Meanwhile, another hotly contested race in Gwinnett was in the news this week. Kevin Kenerly is seeking another term as County Commissioner (his fourth I think) and has drawn two Republican opponents; Butch Poss, a homeowner activist, and political newcomer Jodie Rosser.

Now comes a mysterious video tape mailed to Atlanta TV stations showing Kenerly in Las Vegas gambling with some Gwinnett land developers. WXIA and WSB have video reports on their websites. Apparently what happens in Vegas doesn’t always stay in Vegas (sorry I couldn’t resist). Kenerly produced receipts showing he paid for everything, and accused local political consultant Bill McKinney of being behind the tape. Rumor has it that McKinney is connected to Jodie Rosser’s campaign, but she claim’s he’s only a friend of her father’s.

I have not yet watched the video reports, but I’m told one of the Atlanta stations that aired a report showed Kenerly playing a profanity laced message McKinney left on Kenerly’s answering machine. The rumor is that McKinney is convinced that Kenerly helped recruit Rodriguez to challenge Heard (another of McKinney’s clients). Confused yet? There’s much more, but we’ll talk about it later.

Isn’t local politics fun?

1. Bill Simon says:

What is the problem with people using “profanity” anyway? You folks who think that is something horrible apparently haven’t been exposed to enough idiocy and corruption in the world.

Calling people “jerks” and “scalawags” just doesn’t cut it anymore in the world to express oneself adequately enough to convey a message that will be remembered.

2. stephaniemills21 says:

I saw a lot of Cagle signs over the weekend in Midtown Atlanta. They were all up and down juniper ave on what could be argued the second gayest corner in all of Georgia. (10th and Piedmont being the first).

3. Maurice Atkinson says:

Saw a good amount of Reed billboard signs in Macon. Lot’s of Cagle yard signs. I was impressed with the new plastic Cagle signs. They’re definitely sharp. Erick, I was wondering what you were talking about the other day on your post. They are sharp.

4. stephaniemills21 says:

okay, I thought it was quite a bunch of signs in one location. Thought maybe a cagle staffer lived nearby or the Cagle folks were really buying into the gay voters crossing over into their primary.

5. Brian from Ellijay says:

Are they still up Stephanie? I almost died from exhaustion putting those out midday in a suit. 🙂

6. bowersville says:

Bill, Steph,
    Can I have some fun here? Ain’t no gays gonna cross over and vote for Reed. Steph, do you see a problem with Simmons using profanity? I Don’t.

7. bowersville says:

BOE,
    LOL, I’ve not been the target directly, nor in person, not from Bill, but those who have and survive, are to be admired, because Bill is hell!

8. bowersville says:

Bill
    It’s probably time to let up on Brian and give him a break, I could be wrong, but I think he has come around. Tell me if I’m wrong.

9. stephaniemills21 says:

Brian – When i drove by there today they were gone, though not surprising since most of them were illegally placed.

Bowers – I seriously doubt much, if any, of the gay community will cross over and vote for Reed, they don’t tend to make smart political decisions. If a democrat is going to keep the Lite Gov seat, it will be against Reed, not Cagle.

As for Simon’s profanity, I do not see a problem cause I know Bill is just a bitter old man. 🙂

10. Bill B. says:

Hmmmmm? Gays for Cagle. GAE endorses Cagle. AJC is behind Cagle. Cagle donates to top Democrat running against Sonny. It doesn’t take too long to see who the real conservative is in this race!