More on the Reed Complaint

A source that I cannot name lest Bill Simon throw lamps and telephones at him or her has forwarded a snippet from the complaint against Reed. The two allegations forwarded are more substantive than the speculated one tied into Charles Walker mentioned below, which again is mostly just my speculation from looking at some exhibits.

So, here is what we have. Allegation #3 accusing Ralph’s campaign on its own or with the collusion of Lou Sobh Automotive of doing an end run around the $5000.00 limit on contributions. Reed’s campaign leased a truck for $601.50 a month, but in the final month of 2005, the payment was $180.00, and, despite having millions on hand, several payments were deferred.

Lowering the payments had the effect of keeping the lease payment, which was listed as a contribution, not actually as an expenditure, under $5000.00.

Allegation 4 notes that the Reed campaign collected $47,000.00 in contributions designated for a primary runoff, because there are only two people in the race there will be no runoff, and there has been nothing to indicate the money has been returned. Now, on this one, the Reed campaign must return the money or get authorization for a redesignation, which I don’t think they can actually do because these contributors have already maxed out in both the primary and general. But, since qualifying happened after the disclosure period, I’m pretty sure the campaign can wait and show the returns on the next disclosure statement.

Nonetheless, there is $47,000.00 that can’t be touched.

[UPDATE] Several emailers have pointed out that Lou Sobh is a businessman in Gwinnett County of hispanic descent who publicly denounced the immigration bill signed by Governor Perdue. I’m also told, but have not verified, that Mr. Sobh was also highly critical of State Senator Chip Rogers.

1. Bill Simon says:

WHAT??? How did this information get to you, Erick???

We’re going to have to initiate an investigation into the Delicate Document Management Department at the PV immediately!

2. Demonbeck says:

Par for the course for Reed and his cronies.

I heard Duke Cunningham endorsed Reed last week as well.

3. Erick says:

😉

Allegation #3, as articulated, has solid merit to it. Lots of campaigns have done that and lots of them have gotten fined. While it seems minor, if proven, it really is not.

4. The Busdriver says:

Don’t feign surprise all you Reed people. We warned you: Don’t feed Ralph after midnight. Don’t expose Ralph to bright light. And never, ever, get Ralph wet. But you didn’t listen.

5. Bill Simon says:

LOL! Gawd…all these references to old movies is quite hilarious. Bet anyone born after 1985 has no clue as to what you’re referring to, Bus.

6. debbie0040 says:

Nothing was done wrong by Reed. Allegation 3 is minor and has been done by numerous campaigns. And we don’t know all the facts yet do we? File away…

You keep neglecting the fact a complaint is being filed against Cagle this week and he will have to ammend his disclosure.

7. Bill Simon says:

Amending a disclosure is nothing compared to manipulating payments.

Payments which, by the way, can be found by anyone on his disclosures.

8. debbie0040 says:

How is manipulating payments different from manipulating contributions? You are saying it is ok to manipulate contributions but not payments. Same thing.

9. SouthernConservative says:

I’ll answer for Debbie on this one, since she’s as good at spin as Bill Clinton and Clint Murphy. No. It’s not ok to manipulate payments. Nor is it ok to manipulate contributions. The point is this: Reed’s no choir boy. Neither is Cagle. Now, everyone get your heads out of your a*s, quit b****ing and arguing about the past, and move on to the issues that matter to the people of Georgia. Reed shouldn’t be threatening an ethics action against Cagle right now, nor should Cagle be wasting time on one against Reed. It’s counterproductive to the interests of the people of Georgia.

10. Bill Simon says:

Ah, I love it when people like SC presume to speak for what the “interests” are for Georgians.

SC, are you a dictator-in-training somewhere?

11. SouthernConservative says:

Nope, I’m just as honest an a**hole as you, Bill. And yes, I’m saying that by filing that complaint, you and your cronies are turning the tide of this race to a place that is counterproductive to the interests of Georgians. Though it’s never been disputed that you’ve never really done anything towards benefiting their interests, anyway, so it’s about par for the course. Nothing personal, you understand, I’m just calling it the way I see it, playing blog-ball Simon style.

12. debbie0040 says:

SC, neither Reed nor Cagle has threatened an ethics action against each other. Have I missed something?

It is not ok to manipulate either one. My point is that it is hypocritical of a supporter that turns a blind eye to their candidate manipulating contributions and yell about the other candidate manipulating payments.

No one has even proven Reed did that. Cagle’s team admitted they manipulated contributions.

I stand by the fact, I don’t think Reed broke any ethics law or did anything wrong. Reed made bad choices with Abramoff but had good intentions and he has made it clear that he regrets it.

I would love for this debate to focus on issues but it is naive to think that will happen. If the debate were solely issues, Cagle would not have a chance.

13. Bill Simon says:

SC Sez: “Though it’s never been disputed that you’ve never really done anything towards benefiting their interests, anyway, so it’s about par for the course.”

Please, enlighten this ignorant, honest a**hole of what wonderous and great things YOU have accomplished for the people (or their interests) of Georgia, SC?

14. SouthernConservative says:

Never called you ignorant, Bill 😀 Maybe a little misguided, but never ignorant.

15. Bill Simon says:

Let me re-phrase the question this way, SC: WTF have YOU done for the “interests” of Georgians that “they” would be appreciative of? 🙂

16. GAWire says:

Who cares about that?!? What I want to address is this comment:

>>”””Nothing was done wrong by Reed. Allegation 3 is minor and has been done by numerous campaigns. And we don’t know all the facts yet do we?”””

Tell me, please, that someone else sees the rediculousness of the comment, as well as the appropriateness of its origin and the campaign to whom this person supports!!!!

Let’s see … let me re-word to make it sound better:

“Nothing was done, but what was done was minor and everyone else does it, but it wasn’t wrong. Either way, we don’t know all the facts, so I really don’t know if its wrong, nor do I know if everyone else does it, and most importantly, we don’t know that Reed didn’t do anything wrong.”

To Reed Supporters: It’s too easy when you make our argument that Reed is a fraud for us.

Oh, yeah, and good luck with that filing against Casey … I’m sure that will make you look “real legitimate” (and by “real legitimate” I actually mean “rediculous and lacking any credibility, borderline humerous”)!

17. GAWire says:

That wasn’t constructive or arguing for my side at all, but I just wanted to make sure what I was seeing was being seen by everyone else.

18. Bill Simon says:

GAW, “ridiculous” is spelled with an “i” as the first vowel, not an “e”…you been hanging around MR08 way too much… 😉

19. Bill Simon says:

Re Erick’s “UPDATE” of this thread regarding Lou Sobh and Chip Rogers:

Not sure what the Hispanic ethnicity of Lou Sobh has to do with what you wrote about the payments. BUT, I guess now, the Reed campaign will soon issue a PR accusing the filer of being “anti-Hispanic”…

20. GAWire says:

Thanks for the grammar lesson, Bill … I will be sure to make “add spellcheck” the top of my To Do list for today.

21. The Busdriver says:

Since someone brought it up . . .

Lou Sobh, Ralph’s automotive makeover guy/Donor, had this to say about the Illegal Immigration bill signed by the governor:

From the AJC, 3/28/2006

“The bill, sponsored by Sen. Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock), would prohibit illegal immigrants from getting some public benefits, sanction employers for hiring illegal immigrants and require police to check the immigration status of those arrested for felonies and DUIs, among other provisions.

Until now, Hispanics in Georgia haven’t had anything to rally against, said Mexican-born car dealer Lou Sobh, who moved to the area in 1990 and now has one of the largest Hispanic-owned businesses in the state.

“Georgia has always been very welcoming,” Sobh said, “until 529.”

Plus Sobh is a major donor to the always-zany Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials (GALEO). This group is about as mainstream as Marx. You can check out their “let ’em all in” leanings at galeo.org.

22. GAWire says:

Yeah, right in between: 3. Make absurd comments about topics I don’t understand (just to make RR supporters feel better)

23. George Allen 08 says:

AJC’s Political Insider is reporting that Steve Forbes will be doing a fundraiser for Cagle on June 8.

24. Bull Moose says:

Well, I don’t know many people that are surprised by these latest allegations about Ralph Reed and his campaign.

With so many ethical clouds surrounding him, it’s hard to believe that there could be anything new to further damage his campaign.

Listen GOP people who are supporting Ralph: You can still be public about it, I won’t press you, but for the love of God, please, when you cast your vote in private, exercise some common sense and vote for Casey Cagle.

25. grassrootsguy says:

This is all bullsh*t. It has become the norm that near the end of a heated primary ethics complaints are filed. Its just more dirty tricks from the Cagle campaign. There is nothing illegal about using a company you have a position in if that save the campaign money or time. It happens all the time. Reed is not siphoning off money to put in his pocket. He is using resources at his disposal to run a financially responsible campaign.

On the other side, Joe is running through Cagle’s money as fast as he can and a lot of it is being wasted. Rumors are rampant that Cagle will not even have the money to do his media campaign.

26. SOUTHERNCOMFORT says:

Grass you keep drinking little Ralphie’s punch, it just shows your intelligence or lack there of..CC running out of $$$..ha-ha you are a joke!

27. larry smith says:

Grassrootsguy,

I hesitate to speak for Bill Simon, but the idea that he’s acting at the request of the Cagle campaign is laughable.

The merits of his complaint can stand or fall on their own, but one thing’s for certain about Bill … NO ONE is pulling his strings. And, if you’re going to hold candidates responsible for what their supporters do, then I hope you’ll pound on Debbie for rattling on for weeks about how she’s going to file against Cagle.

Personally, I think Bill makes a good point and that he’s on solid legal ground. But, the Commission will be the final judge of that, won’t it?

28. Michael C says:

Is it me or are names like “grassrootsguy” and “formercagleguy” just a little too contrived? Erick I would be interested to see where these comments originated. I suspect from Reed’s campaign headquarters.