Illegals fleeing Georgia?

According to the AJC, they are:

The boot-clad day laborers, many of whom are in the country illegally, have nearly disappeared from two of the usual spots along Powder Springs Road in Cobb County. Their numbers are down significantly at some, but not all, gathering spots in Gwinnett. That includes the lot by Dunkin’ Donuts, which has roughly a third as many laborers as usual, restaurant staffers said.

Police aren’t focusing on the laborers more now, said Rojas and other day laborers. It’s the employers who have changed. Crew chiefs have grown increasingly skittish about hiring illegal immigrants, they said, prompting more workers to try places like Florida and New Orleans instead.

“I think people are just moving to another state,” said Maria Garcia, who runs a labor hall in Duluth as director of Hispanic Community Support. About half the usual number of workers are seeking jobs at the converted warehouse, Garcia said.

Fear of deportation is at an all-time high, she said, as rumors of raids by immigration agents sweep through the community almost daily. “I think it’s created a mental sickness, where people are depressed,” she said. “Who wants to be thinking any minute you’re going to be arrested?”

1. McCain-Rice\'08 says:

I noticed the same thing, and I think it is because of the bill Sonny Signed that would reuire proof of citizenship for non-emergency state sevices. many probably moved to other states b/c were the only one with such restrictions…and they can move as far away as they want, its fine by me!! (lol)

2. jacewalden says:

I agree. I think Chip Rogers’s bill has a lot to do with it. The intent was to make Georgia as unappealing for illegal immigrants as possible. It seems to be working, let’s hope anyway.

3. jsm says:

Good riddance. I was chatting with State Senate candidate Lee Hawkins on Saturday about how the Constitution allows states the freedom to take care of their own immigration issues and how we should make Georgia the last state illegals want to live in. He agreed.

One of two things happens. 1)Each state takes care of business and makes life hard for illegals, and they go home. 2)The Feds take care of business, and the flight of illegals has a smaller impact on our state.

4. debbie0040 says:

Georgia needs to go a step further and have very strict penalties on employers that knowingly hire illegals, even jail time.

Georgia has proven that mass deportation is not needed. You take away government services and jobs and they will “deport” themselves.

5. debbie0040 says:

I think Bush may have at least started listening to the people on illegal immigration. He is going to send National Guard to the borders. I think his poll numbers will start to move up.

He just needs to listen about the guest worker program for illegals and face the fact it is amnesty and won’t solve the problem.

I have a real problem with the fact GOP elected officials are hesitant about going after employers that knowingly hire illegals. That needs to be done.

I don’t believe the Guest Worker Program should inlcude those that will be dependent on pubic health care and other government programs at tax payer’s expense. The employers that rely on the guest worker program for workers should be required to provide health insurance. Why should the tax payers foot the bill?

6. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

As much as I would like to see Bush talk about the immigration issues that matter, you and I both know that is not going to happen. As a matter of fact, I just posted an entire list of things you won’t hear him say on my blog (you can click my username)…

The bottom line is, Bush could care less about the illegal immigration crisis. Although I agree with the proposed use of the guard (being a guardsman myself), I think its a PR stunt. He should have done something about this a long time ago.

7. kspencer says:

Unintended consequences watch.

I’m hearing that a lot of new hispanic citizens are getting registered to vote in the upcoming elections. Now we all know the difference between hearing and knowing, and we are all well aware of “saying they’ll vote” vs actually voting.

Still, it’s worth keeping in mind that this is an issue that’s going to push one group of people heavily to one side or another. While it’s not such a big deal in some counties (like Newton with about 2% of the population being hispanic), in others like Whitfield that’s potentially 25% of the voters.

8. kspencer says:

Jace and Debbie,

The president’s allegedly going to ask for funding to send up to 10,000 guardsmen to the border. I want to know why he’s doing this instead of asking funding for the 10,000 border agents he cut this year.

Serious about the border? He cut 10,000 border agents. You’re right, Jace, this is a PR stunt and it’ll disappear as soon as it’s no longer giving PR rewards.

Kirk

9. jacewalden says:

Kirk,

I couldn’t agree more. He’s had all kinds of time to try and expand the border patrol…but to no avail.

Someone e-mailed me in response to one of my blog posts the other day…He brought up a really good point.

“Jace, why aren’t you blaming state Attorneys General for this problem. After all they’re the ones with the legal power to make something happen. The legislature can pass all the laws it wants, but until the AGs start enforcing and prosecuting, there will be little done.”

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

10. Mojo says:

I hope all the conservative anti-immigration ilk that pollute this earth will slap themselves on the back as the agribusiness falls apart in south Georgia. The onion farms can’t hire anyone else, no one else is willing to perform such back breaking labor for hours on end in the hot, hot sunny Georgia summer. They depend on immigrant labor, but, most likely, they’ll still vote Republican because of the dangers posed by gays and run amok judges.

11. jacewalden says:

Mojo,

It is obvious that your rants are entirely based on emotion as opposed to fact.

Agribusiness will not “fall apart”. No one is dependant on immigrant labor. It might interest you to know that nearly 85% of our agriculture jobs, are filled by American citizens. That doesn’t mesh with your whole “no one else is willing to perform such back breaking labor for hours on end in the hot, hot sunny Georgia summer.” assertion.

But don’t worry, Mojo, if Bush has his way, all of the ILLEGAL ALIENS will get to stay for a “temporary” program.

I also take offense to your insinuation that just because I’m a republican, I automatically pick on gays. Not every Republican is a part of the “religious right”.

That would be like me insinuating that you’re a hippy-liberal-moonbat Ted Kennedy socialist. I’m not saying that is the case…but if it is, well, you suffer from a fate worse than death–complete incompetence and uselessness!

12. Mike says:

Hey Mojo. You might have to pay an extra penny or two for a Vidallia onion, but I can assure you that the crop would be harvested. There are plenty of south Ga. rednecks(and I say that affectionatley as I grew up a member of this class) that would gladly do this work for adequate pay. I’m sure that backbreaking labor in the hot sun is a very foreign concept to a liberal elite such as yourself, but it can be done.

13. Demonbeck says:

Why does everyone assume that most legal hispanics are appalled by these moves. I would argue just the opposite. These illegal immigrants are giving legal immigrants a bad name – just like German-Americans during WWI and WWII.

14. Demonbeck says:

Mojo,

There is a big, important difference between a legal documented and an undocumented illegal migrant worker.

15. Mojo says:

jacewalden,

Just to illustrate my point, I am currently working on a contract in central California and it is the agricultural heart of California. When the immigrant walkout took place a week ago or so, they closed shop. They had no one to work the fields. And, for fact and not emotion, I don’t know where you pulled your statistic from, but illegal immigrants make up nearly 30% of the agricultural workforce. Now, the average wage for a farm worker, nation wide, is $6.18 an hour, and, if there were no legal or illegal immmigrants willing to do this labor, largely Latino immigrant labor, how much do you think that would have to be raised in order to entice native workers to do the same job? Mike said they are willing to pay a few extra cents for an onion and that south Georgia rednecks are willing to work in the fields. How much do you think the price would really go up now that the native workers get paid more, most likely unionized, with overtime, benefits and retirement plans? A few cents? Why is it that those same onion farms are always in need of more and more labor and yet I see no south Georgia rednecks working the fields, I see no African-Americans working the fields? Illegal immigrants also make up nearly 30% of the roofers in this country. I wonder how those roofing companies will survive. I wonder how much it would cost to reroof your house after that.

Mike,

Liberal elite? Backbreaking labor foreign to me? I find it amusing how people are so willing to stick their foot in their own mouth by making sweeping generalizations about someone whose only information they have is a computer handle, like “Mojo.” Thanks, bud.

Demonbeck,

During the 19th century when immigrants began to flood this nation, and the same nativist prejudice was launched, most immigrants were granted citizenship in a short time, as opposed to now when the process can take years. For instance, when the Irish began to arrive during the Civil War they were granted citizenship and enlisted in the United States Army all within a single day (you may remember this from Gangs of New York), and those passing through Ellis Island, the Irish, the Italians, the Germans, were shuttled quickly through the doors to their new life as Americans. There was no long process. There was no test. The only similarity between then and now is the hatred all immigrants have faced from those who were once immigrants themselves.

16. Mojo says:

jacewalden,

But, you support Republicans and their platform quite clearly states that marriage is only between a man and woman, and their Defense of Marriage Act would discrimate against gays and prevent them from marrying, but what is new in America, there was once laws passed legally by our legislature that prevented whites and blacks from marrying. So, you support Republicans, they fight against marriage rights for gays, Governor Ernie Fletcher of Kentucky, a Republican, removed equal opportunity rights for gays at the workplace. You support Republicans and they discrimate against gays. So, by your partisan support for Republicans also discrimate against gays.

And, I do like Ted Kennedy but he is no socialist, maybe Eugene Debs or LaFollette would be more apt, but you, like Mike, make sweeping generalizations. Let me pause here so I can work on a diagram for you on how to insert foot into mouth. You might need the help.

17. McCain-Rice\'08 says:

I just saw the President’s adress, It was good..not amazing but good. I agreed with him mostly. However, I think that Congress is missing 2 key comonents of the problem that needs to be adressed.

1. I think that they need to get rid of the loop hole that makes a child of illegal immigrants an automatuic U.S. Citizen.

and 2. I think they need to break down the wall that prevents law enforcement on all levels to work cohesively with INS…I have heard so many cases of police officers arresting an Illegal for drug possesion or whatever and then all they can do is let them go the next day, they need to be able to deport those that the police catch breaking the law.

18. bowersville says:

Mojo,
    What is your proposal to resolve the illegal immigrant situation and securing our borders at the same time?

19. Mojo says:

bowersville,

I actually like Bush’s guest worker program, well, I mostly like it. The only real problem I have with it is sending the National Guard to patrol the border. This forces a third role upon the Guard, first they have to participate in the war in Iraq, second they have to provide aid and assistance in their home state for natural disasters, and, now, they have to perform the duties of a border police force. This would seriously overextend them, and I am curious as to the financial cost.

And, Bush’s guest worker program doesn’t cover one of the most serious problems with immigration in this country, and that is the lengthy delay that exists for an immigrant to become a citizen. This should be shortened to a reasonable time frame.

The cost of illegal immigrants in this country is overstated. There is no reason, especially with the implementation of Bush’s guest worker program, that these same immigrants, while providing certain services in the course of their jobs should not receive health care and benefits, and, especially, education for their children.

In terms of border security I don’t have an answer. The National Guard proposal sounds expensive and dangerous and how many times can you constantly increase funding for the Border Patrol until you realize that they just aren’t up to the task. The whole fence idea just sounds stupid stupid stupid.

So, I guess, my “proposal” is Bush’s program with a few changes.

20. bowersville says:

Mojo,
    I am confident the Guard can handle the third role. I don’t have the answer to border control either, nor the lenghty delay in citizenship, I am of Irish decent of the 1820’s. Have you considered Anarcho-capitalist theories in it’s purest form in the eyes of those operating in northern Mexico?

21. Mojo says:

bowersville,

Could you please explain these anarcho-capitalist theories concerning nothern Mexico? I’m not sure where you’re going with this.

22. Mojo says:

bowersville,

But, you must know, that I am not a big fan of anarcho-capitalism. I find it not only dangerous but also inhumane and unworkable. If I must join the horned throng and label myself with a particular ideology, then I must call myself a social democrat.

23. bowersville says:

I actually do not believe the capitalist of northern Mexico, nor of Mexico would allow a terrorist into the States.

24. jacewalden says:

Mojo,

I was completely wrong. And I apologize. You rants are not based on emotion. They are based on raw, unadulterated partisanship…which is far worse than emotion.

It might also interest you to know that a recent study concluded that if all illegals were replaced by citizens (which is possible), the average cost of vegetables per year/per household would only increase by $100. That’s about…oh, 37 cents a day, roughly. I’d say I can manage that…as could you.

I still say that Ted Kennedy is a socialist. He has done absolutely nothing to disprove that. And I also appreciate the fact that you didn’t refute my assertion about him being a hippy-moonbat liberal.

And, I still take offense to the “you’re a republican you hate gays” generalization. While I do think being gay is wrong, I don’t think its something that can be legislated away. You making that generalization is like me saying that just because you’re a democrat you want to take away everyone’s guns. I know that’s not true. But it follows the same logic.

McCain-Rice,

Although I typically I agree with you on issues. I think the President’s speech was a sham. It was filled with empty political rhetoric void of anything that could be considered a logical solution.

Bowersville,

How’s it going? If you want to see a real solution to the immigration problem, just follow this link: http://jacecommonsense.blogspot.com/2006/05/comprehensive-reform.html

Yes, that’s a link to an article on my site. MOJO, you might find it interesting as well. But I have to warn you, its not socialist or communist or void of common sense, so you may not get it.

25. jacewalden says:

Just to clarify…Bowersville, I was not calling you a social, communist, or someone lacking common sense. That was intended for MOJO JOJO

26. jacewalden says:

***CORRECTION***

The average increase of 100 dollars per household/per year would make it roughly 28 cents per day.

***Note to Self***

Don’t try to do math right after PT.

Sorry for the confusion.

27. debbie0040 says:

I am glad Isakson is going to try to add ammendments to the Senate Bill. Isakson is a fighter. Bill Frist might as well turn his back to Harry Reid and bend over. He is totally useless.

Any Senator that votes for Guest Worker/Amnesty for illegals deserves to be voted out of office.

Bush was WRONG in his speech about mass deportation. You take away the incentives and they will deport themselves. Georgia has already proven that.

Illegals drive the salaries down for everyone.

Amnesty for illegals has never worked to discourage people coming to this country illegally and it will never work.

28. jacewalden says:

Debbie,

I am out of the loop on Isakson’s amendments. Could you tell us about them?

And, yes, Bill Frist is pathetic. He is the leader of the MAJORITY party and is still taking it from Harry Reid. Now that is what you call a wuss.

Does anyone know where Saxby Chambliss stands on the “Temporary” Guest Worker Program (Amnesty)?

29. Three Jack says:

Debbie, Without a guest worker program, how would you propose identifying and deporting 12M – 25M illegal immigrants? Do you really believe they will deport themselves, going back to an impoverished country with no work available? If that happens, guess which country will step forward with billions in aid to help the illegal immigrant refugees?

Secure the border, setup a visa program for the non-unionized blue collar workers already here. Then maybe we can get on to real issues like high taxes, big government, etc.

30. jacewalden says:

Three Jack,

There is only one way to deport 11 million people…

ONE AT A TIME!

Bottom Line: If you take away state services, actually punish employers who hire illegals, and demonstrate resolve to execute mass deportation, they will deport themselves.

If we keep them from working and receiving state services here, they would be better of in their own countries. At least they could get state services…

31. Three Jack says:

Jace, how do you propose to enforce punishment against employers? Will there be another new government police agency? How much money will it cost? Can it be done with some fairness and equality?

Beyond all that, what happens to America’s economy if all of a sudden 12M – 20M hard working, low cost laborers are removed? Do you really believe that there are replacements just waiting for an opportunity to fill these roles in a country with essentially full employment? Or will it result in among other things a major recession caused by a decline in new home building numbers?

Call me skeptical based on witnessing so many reationary laws being passed over the years without due consideration given to unintended consequences. I think President Bush is basically on the right track, but we better be extremely careful when putting military on the border, going after private businesses, instituting national ID cards, etc. This could turn out to be one major boondoggle.

32. debbie0040 says:

What some of our elected officials are saying:

“Thinly veiled attempts to promote amnesty cannot be tolerated,’ said Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga. “While America is a nation of immigrants, we are also a nation of laws, and rewarding those who break our laws not only dishonors the hard work of those who came here legally but does nothing to fix our current situation.”

Supporters of the measure said they had the votes to block the first of several expected attempts by critics to rewrite the measure. Advanced by Sen. Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., the proposal would require the government to certify that border security provisions were fully operational before any illegal immigrant could receive a change in legal status.

“We must have a more permanent solution for securing our borders,” Isakson said in a statement after Bush spoke, reaffirming his intention of seeking a vote on his proposal.

Chambliss Statement:

CHAMBLISS: ISAKSON BORDER SECURITY AMENDMENT CRITICAL

TO CONTROLLING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

“To disagree with this amendment sends the message to the American people that we are more eager to give illegal immigrants a path to citizenship than we are to secure our borders from further illegal immigration.

33. debbie0040 says:

Three jack, A verification number should be available so employers can call and verify social security numbers.

Employers that knowingly hire illegals should be severly punished. Employers that hire illegals are lining their pocketbooks at the expense of taxpayers.

Illegals are paid low wages and don’t have health insurance. Their health care is paid for by tax payers. IE:Pre-natal, emergency

Once you take away incentives, illegals will begin deporting themselves. We can simplify and speed up the process for those guest workers that follow immigration laws to take the illegals place.

34. Mojo says:

jacewalden,

Partisanship? Where have I stated an unadulterated devotion to a particular political party? I’ll wait as you try to invent an answer.

That is an interesting study. I’d like to see who conducted the study. There is an old saying, that there are three types of lies…lies, damn lies and statistics.

Ted Kennedy is not a socialist, if he is then he is the worst socialist in history b/c he consistently votes in favor of capitalist policies. When is this so called socialist going to attempt to dismantle the capitalist state? Also, I didn’t attempt to prove you wrong about the hippe moonbat comment b/c it is so ridiculous. Cynthia McKinney maybe, but not Teddy. Your comment speaks more about you then about him.

Nowhere does the Democrat platform advocate the removal of all guns from the hands of Americans, so that analogy does not wash, however, Republicans have stated in their national platform a support for discrimination against gays and since you vote for Republicans then, by your vote, you are supporting discrimination against gays.

35. Three Jack says:

Debbie, Who will pay for this new verification number call center along with the technology needed? Should end-users of services supplied by illegal workers be subject to the same fines as employers? Should every homeowner be required to call a verification number before contracting with a landscaper, painter or other home service? How far will you as a supposed conservative allow government to grow in the name of border protection? Will you support tax increases if needed?

Great story by Lee Harris on Tech Central about the complexity of this issue — (very long, so here is a link instead of copy — http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=051606B).

Small excerpt from Harris’s story relating to Debbie’s post:

It is little wonder then that so many people think the solution to the problem of immigration lies in the second method — enforcing the current laws and thereby increasing the real cost to businesses of hiring illegal immigrants through fines and the threat of costly legal action. But what those who take this approach fail to understand is that, in order to make the second method work, it is not enough to make examples of certain businesses who hire illegal immigrants — the government would have to make it clear to each and every business that it cannot risk hiring illegal immigrants because of the certainty of the fact that they would get caught. But how can the government make thousands and thousands of small businesses feel certain that they would get caught except by actually monitoring, on a virtually day by day basis, their hiring practices? And how much bigger would our already big government have to get in order to achieve that ability to micro-manage all the independent businesses that use illegal immigrants as laborers? And who would pay for this new army of bureaucrats, but the American people themselves?”

36. bowersville says:

Jacewaldon
    Going great, I’ve been following your website for a while. I was simply trying to get Mojo out in the open as a Social Democrat, he beat me to it.

37. debbie0040 says:

Employers should face jailtime if they knowingly hire illegals.

I believe it should be a crime for a company to hire illegals. There are not enough jobs from individuals to make illegals to want to come to this country.

38. bowersville says:

Jace,
    Also, take the time and Google “Socialist Democratic Party of Mexico.” You will find they are further left than Fox who is viewed as the conservative candidate for President of Mexico. Fox is similar to Chirac in his “conservatism.” Mojo refers to the “horned toads,” those are the pheasants. The point about the capitalists in Mexico? Simple, to show him and like minded people that if they vote in that Mexico City Mayor, Hugo Chavez type candidate, the Nationalism in us will be brought to the peak, and we will close the border, and we will drill our on oil. GREAT WEBSITE YOU HAVE!

39. McCain-Rice\'08 says:

The guest worker program is a good idea..however, I can see some obvious loopholes with it as it stands now, and I think if they’d just hurry up and pass it, it’ll be a nightmare…Im glad after years we’re finally having a serious debate about this..and we need to take advantage of this opportunity and try to fix every thing possible in reguards to illegal immigration..b/c who knows when it’ll be back on the floor

40. Three Jack says:

Apparent party line – Shoot ’em all and let God sort ’em out. This includes employers, end users and of course those darn wetbacks determined to provide for their families no matter the obstacles.

If only America’s welfare queens had as much desire to work as hispanics crossing our porous border to fill the jobs no longer performed by recipients of wealth redistribution. End welfare, force work, problem solved.