10 Questions for Ruth Malhotra

One of these days I’ll learn how to use the “more” feature to shorten long posts. I tried in vain last night. In the meantime I posted the article on my blog where you can read it in it’s entirety.

I asked ten questions of Ruth Malhotra, Chairman of the Georgia Tech College Republicans, who in March filed a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit against Georgia Tech. Below is Ruth’s answer to the first question. You can read the entire article by clicking here.

BB: Why did you file a lawsuit against Georgia Tech?

RM: I, along with another student Orit Sklar, filed a Federal Civil Rights Lawsuit against Georgia Tech for its blatantly unconstitutional policies. Our love of liberty and our love for Georgia Tech have compelled us to take this stand so that every student’s rights to free speech and religious liberty will be respected.

The suit was filed 1) to hold GT accountable for the fact that mainstream conservative speech is often considered “hate speech” and “intolerant,” while politically-charged, far-out-of-the-mainstream Leftist speech is considered part of the “intellectual diversity” purportedly valued by the Institute; 2) to challenge GT’s discrimination against religious and political groups by refusing to fund them with the Student Activity Fee; and 3) to confront why GT evaluates and endorses certain religious views through the school-sponsored “Safe Space” program. In other words, I want free speech for all students, equal rights for all organizations, and I want the Institute to respect the Constitution by getting out of the business of promoting certain religions over others.

1. larry smith says:

You should’ve tried asking:

Is the academic program at Georgia Tech sufficiently weak that you can spend most of your time focusing on your delusions of persecution and still pass?

Two words … Anita Hill.

2. UGAMatthew says:

I’m not usually one to take one for Tech, but Larry, are you seriously calling into question academic rigor at Tech? Or are you advocating for intolerance? What’s your intent there? I really am curious…

3. larry smith says:

I think Tech is a top national school. I also think it’s relatively conservative in terms of higher education.

The idea that this student’s rights are being violated sounds like hyperbolic BS to me. Frankly, it’s an insult to people everywhere who really are being oppressed.

4. Decaturguy says:

I love it how when liberals file lawsuits in federal court they are being “activists,” but when conservatives file lawsuits in federal court they are protecting “civil rights.” Yeah, right.

I also love how she condemns the “racial name-calling and threats” against herself, but the whole basis for her lawsuit is to be able to do the same thing against other people.

If she respects the “marketplace of ideas” so much, then what is her problem with the Safe Space program. She should welcome it.

5. UGAMatthew says:

Larry, I agree that there is far more egregious oppression in the world than that of what may be occuring at Tech. However, it’s not just Tech and it’s not just hyperbole. UGA is an overwhelmingly conservative campus, but the visibility of the left is commanding. Sometimes on campus, the support the administative elements lend to far-left wing programming without considering the same for the right, is overwhelming.

I don’t know if this is al earth-shattering and I’d venture and hope not, but I do think that higher education in America that has been traditionally dominated more by the left than the right and currently, that contingency of faculty and administration are becoming mor vigilant in their attempt to “promote tolerance.” Or in other words, promote liberal theory through stiffling conservative participation. Tolerance is a tricky idea. If “tolerance” is the goal, than it must be a two-way doorl; Your tolerance of my beliefs and my tolerance of yours. But this seems the hang-up with many liberals. They preach that we must all be tolerant of everyone and so on, but does that not include their acceptance and tolerance of the fact the not everyone will agree with them?

6. UGAMatthew says:

I don’t know if this is all earth-shattering and I’d venture and hope not, but I do think that higher education in America that has been traditionally dominated more by the left than the right and currently, that contingency of faculty and administration are becoming mor vigilant in their attempt to “promote tolerance.” Or in other words, promote liberal theory through stiffling conservative participation. Tolerance is a tricky idea. If “tolerance” is the goal, than it must be a two-way doorl; Your tolerance of my beliefs and my tolerance of yours. But this seems the hang-up with many liberals. They preach that we must all be tolerant of everyone and so on, but does that not include their acceptance and tolerance of the fact the not everyone will agree with them?

7. Decaturguy says:

My problem with the lawsuit is that it seems to equate “tolerance” of gay people, just as an example, as promoting a particular religious view. And that is total bullshit.

8. techdawg says:

The examples given by Ruth are by no means isolated to the GT campus. I tend to agree that college campuses overall are heavily left-leaning and it is only through the efforts of courageous people like Ruth, that administrators & professors alike, are being taken to task. I applaud Ruth on her efforts to bring the conservative view back out of the ‘condemned closet’.
    Threats, name-calling…she has every right to be concerned, but not silenced.