Labor Commissioner: GOP Primary

While trolling the web I saw some pretty damaging information about Chuck Scheid at Georgia Unfiltered.  I don’t know Mr. Scheid from Adam’s housecat, and anything found in the internet must be looked at skeptically, but if true it’s not good news for Mr. Scheid. Perhaps a friend or supporter can clear the air.

1. McCain-Rice\'08 says:

Chuck Scheid has no hope, the man is running simply to get rid of the Department of Labor. I doub’t Brent Brown will win in November, but Im voting for him. Our current labor commisioner, Michael Thurmond was the first Public official from Georgia to endorse Howard Dean for President, the man is way to liberal and I have no clue how he got elected in the first place.

2. MrGOPJr says:

I will also be voting for Brown. Scheid may do better than expected if his home county, Cherokee, supports him. For us (GOP) to have a shot at winning in November, Brown needs to be the nominee. Thurmond needs to go. The guy can barely complete a sentence.

3. atlantaman says:

Brent has raised a sizable amount of money, but will have to spend a good bit of it to beat Scheid. It means he won’t be as strong as he could have been against Thurmond. It’s not like you can keep raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for a Labor Commissioner race.

I would give Brent a very good chance of beating Thurmond. It’s a down ballot race in a State that has been trending Republican. Just look at the PSC, 4 out of 5 are now Republican. One doesn’t need to look any further then Angela Speir to see that in the State of Georgia, in a down ballot race, the Republican always has a shot.

4. Three Jack says:

While Chuck may not have the best record in filing disclosures, his ideas to modernize DOL are to be commended. He has an uphill battle ahead but should receive fair consideration as a candidate attempting to do something most Republicans would never do…eliminate an antiquated government agency.

I encourage everyone to check out Chuck’s stump speech because he has done his research. DOL under Thurmond has failed to implement even the most basic IT solutions that would improve operational capabilities and service to its customers. Chuck will force change, reform and modernization.

5. MikeS says:

Michael Thurmond will have problems because he fought to weaken the bill on Illegal immigration and like many Democrats he has worked with the activist groups who are now fighting for amesty. However, we still need a strong and active candidate to beat him. Chuck does not raise much money, does not campaign work hard, and is a unknown even in Cherokee. I like Brent Brown and he has the drive to make this a good race. If we have a solid slate, we could beat several incumbent Democrats.

6. nunndemocrat says:

I have heard Chuck’s stump speech and he makes no sense. Is he trying to eliminate the Labor Department or reform it?? With his awful track record of not paying his taxes and of numerous ethics violations, he should help the Republican Party and withdraw…let Brent Brown sail to the nomination and have more money to beat the incompetent Thurmond. Brent Brown can be our first Republican Labor Commissioner, if we all unite around him…including Chuck.

7. Romegaguy says:

If I remember correctly, the fine and disclosure problems arose from his house being burned down two years ago when he was re/elected to the House. The reason he didnt file a disclosure at the end of March of this year for DOL (after announcing he was running in Feb of this year) is because as a legislator he couldnt raise money while the session was in. That being said, yeah he isnt the most agressive campaigner but I do like some of his ideas for the DOL (including making it an appointed position instead of an elected one). I also think that the Insurance Commissioner should be appointed but that wont happen any time soon.

8. McCain-Rice\'08 says:

I thought Chuck Scheid was elected to replace Chip Rogers in the House back in ’04…If Im not mistaken he was only elected once, why would he have been RE-ELECTED.

9. atlantaman says:

Don’t know about the symantics, but Scheid served in the House for a few terms previous to winning Rogers seat.

10. atlantaman says:

I think you have to file a disclosure regardless of whether you raised money or not. I also think Scheid was having some problems before his house burned down.

11. Brian from Ellijay says:

No, Chuck served in the House until redistricted into a district with Bobby Franklin, Bobby then kicked his tail in the primary.

Chuck ran and was re-elected after the districts were changed back.

Charlice Byrd now holds Chip Rogers seat.

12. Bill Simon says:

The suspiciousness of Chuck’s house burning down aside, that wasn’t Chuck’s excuse to the state for not paying his taxes. He stated that he HAD paid them and his records of such got burned-up in the house fire.

But, I’m not sure what bank Mr. Scheid banks at, but most banks have snapped shots of checks that pass through their processing department…so, it seems to me that were Chuck to go ask his bank, they would be more than willing to help provide evidence of his supposed checks paid to the state.

13. jsm says:

I saw Scheid and heard his stump speech on Saturday. I like some of his ideas about shifting some of the Labor Commissioner’s responsibilities (i.e. elevator inspections), but getting rid of the DOL is a little heavy. He also mentioned closing Unemployment Offices and moving their function to library internet stations. I’m not sure we want job seekers crowding libraries. Leisurely readers, students doing research, and parents of small children probably would balk at that.

I haven’t seen Brent Brown yet. I hope his ideas are a little more realistic.

14. nunndemocrat says:

I heard that Shied has decided to pull out of the Labor race…does anyone know if this is true?