English first gaining support?

It wasn’t that long ago that those who wanted English to be the official language of the U.S. were suspected of being racists.  I think that’s all changed now and I offer as evidenced this blog post by Rick Badie:

I won’t lie: It’s a small annoyance to be asked to choose English or Spanish at an ATM machine. It bugs me when a white contractor pays the initial visit to work on my house, then turns the job over to a crew in which nary a worker speaks English.

The key to assimilation is to learn to speak the primary language of the community so you can operate in it. For us, that’s English. Like currency, it unites us.

And in heightened times like these, when immigration and what to do about it is a red-hot issue, not speaking the same language might drive us further apart.

In Lilburn and Norcross, a Hispanic can function with relative ease and not know a speck of English. Some might say that’s cool, that it’s a sign of progress. It is. On a small scale.

Operating in the shadows isn’t assimilation. It’s isolation. It’s also hinders the purpose for migrating here in the first place. You can’t prosper, truly prosper, if you’re isolated from the larger society, unable to communicate.

Badie is not a flaming liberal, but he’s no conservative either.  So, is “English First” now the opinion of most Americans?

1. atlantaman says:

If a decent size bank ever went to English only on their ATM’s, I would probably switch my accounts immediately.

That picture on the front page of the AJC from the rallies was very poignant. I saw a bunch of Che Guerra posters and Socialist party signs in the crowd. Our country is being invaded without a single shot being fired.

2. jacewalden says:

This is one movement I am glad to see is gaining some support.

It’s not like it’s life changing to have to push “1 for english” instead of “2 for espanol” when I get the automated answering services. It’s not even a real challenge to push that extra button on the ATM…

The point is, it’s a matter of principle. We live in an English-speaking country. Bottom line.

3. atlantaman says:

Yes and I’m fearful of the day it’s “Push 1 for Spanish and Push 2 for English”

4. Bill Simon says:

Actually, Atlantaman…I HAVE run into that on one or more voice systems…I cannot remember who or why, but I did think it was weird.

5. rugby_fan says:

I’ve run into “For Spanish press one” before.

Making it assinine was that the option was in…ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. atlantaman says:

Bill-

You were probably calling the local Atlanta chapter of the Socialist Workers Party.

I think their automated system goes something like this, “Press 1 for Spanish, Press 2 if you’re a greedy American capitalist pig”

7. Demonbeck says:

“Hola”

“Donde esta el bano?”

“Gracias”

“Uno Cerveza, Por Favor”

These four phrases are all you need to know.

8. John Konop says:

Atlantaman,

The scary part of the ATM machines being in Spanish is this is a tool to make it easier and cheaper for illegal immigrants to send money out of our country. The way the game works is that they issue cards to illegal who cannot open bank accounts due to the regular process which would kick them out. The reason it does not kick then out ,the card is a MC/VISA payroll card for the un-bankable.The money for the illegal is sent to the card instead of a check on pay day from the contractor or employer. The spouse or relative can now get the money in Mexico via a ATM machine. Congress helps with loopholes not to enforce with identification laws , which is why we are also doing home loans as well to illegal immigrants.

9. spaceygracey says:

LOL, ATL Man! And you think it’s bad in the ATL, try Miami. I got so frustrated there once in a convenience store trying to ask where the imported beer was and getting only Spanish back, that I threw a little hissy fit, stomped my foot and yelled, “What freakin’ country am I in here?”

The Cubans just laughed their butts off at me.