It’s Getting Ridiculous

Reguiar readers know I’m a huge fan of Joel McElhannon’s work. He does good races. But, I’m starting to think the Cagle campaign has jumped the shark. He has a MySpace site.

Of course, I do hold MySpace in low esteem, but still. Seriously?! MySpace?! Come on guys, your time is better spent elsewhere.

Thanks to the person who sent this on the tip line. I’d never have found it otherwise. I avoid MySpace. Paris Hilton goes there. You could catch something.

1. Fiddes says:

Well, I know I’m going to sleep better at night knowing (per his myspace.com account) that he is a Capricorn. Geez, Erick-Woods, inquiring minds want to know important facts like that (grin)!

2. Rusty says:

Hahahahahaha, awesome. I reluctantly put up a MySpace after caving to pressure from friends. The bizarre thing about is how many computer-illiterate people I know who have never really done anything on the net other than send email but have MySpace accounts.

3. jsm says:

Can’t fault the guy for reaching into the MySpace/youth market. It’s free–why not? Every vote counts.

4. SouthernConservative says:

What’s hilarious is that Casey has all of 40 or so friends, and three comments, one of whom is from Brian Laurens. Real successful.

5. SouthernConservative says:

The more logical thing to do would be to tap into the Facebook network, and start working the CR/campus activists crowds. Oh. I forgot. In order to do that, you have to either be enrolled in school or be a college graduate. Bummer for Cagle. No wonder he had to go with MySpace.

6. The Busdriver says:

Southern Conservative, they let you the computers at Just Brakes to send email? Get back to work.

7. Jason Rizner says:

Is there anyone out there that honestly looks to MySpace and Wikipedia for information on political candidates? Quite frankly, I’ve never been on MySpace – I don’t even know what exactly it is. I have been to Wikipedia a few times, but never to look up info on candidates.

If I’m looking for information on a candidate, I read the candidates website and keep an eye on reputable news sources (i.e. newspapers, magazines, television, etc). I consider myself a political junkie and I wouldn’t even think to look on MySpace and Wikipedia for candidate info.

I agree with Erick . . . A campaign’s time is better spent elsewhere – anywhere else.

8. atlantaman says:

Hopfully, for Ralph’s sake, they won’t be discussing his salary on the Indian Affairs Committee.

9. debbie0040 says:

Cagle is trying to reach out to young people and be “hip”. If they want to do that, it is their choice. It doesn’t really cost anything.

The only thing is that the age demographics that would be attracted to something like myspace doesn’t turn out to vote in large percentages.

10. UGAMatthew says:

As a college student who is also a “political junkie” and does not get his campaign data from Myspace, I also see the apathy of my peers. I also see the INCREDIBLE number of students using online social networks. Any new strategy to energize younger voters is great; especially if its free. If he can garner any votes through it, why not?

11. Bull Moose says:

You people are the same ones who probably though Jack Kingston was crazy when he embraced blogs and other forms of nontraditional media…

Come on, get with the program…

My Space is the new frontier in connecting with people and information exchange

12. Jason Rizner says:

UGAMatthew said:

“If he can garner any votes through it, why not?”

The reason why not is that campaigns have limited time and resources. I’m just not sure that MySpace and Wikipedia are the best uses of a campaign’s resources.

On a related note, I’m ABSOLUTELY sure that posting comments on PP is not the best use of my resources.

13. Jason Rizner says:

Bull Moose,

You’re living in fantasy land. The vast vast majority of voters do NOT read political blogs, and they do not look to MySpace and Wikipedia for candidate info.

Talk to your friends that aren’t involved in politics (or otherwise politically inclined). Ask if any of them read political blogs, and ask where they get their information. Let me know what you find out.

14. UGAMatthew says:

Wikipedia-I agree.

However,
    It literally takes 15 minutes to set up a MySpace account. I don’t imagine Cagle’s got a point man on the MySpace account, but I am sure he’s got a number of students working with his campaign…students do have spare time (although with exams this week, it’s decreasingly available) and I think if they can get some help approaching a new electorate, its amlost a no brainer. I doubt they’re paying big bucks for MySpace.

15. UGAMatthew says:

Sorry, you can’t check Cagle’s facebook unless you have an account. I apologize. Regardless, point is he has one.

16. Fuzzyslippers says:

“Is there anyone out there that honestly looks to MySpace and Wikipedia for information on political candidates? Quite frankly, I’ve never been on MySpace’

Just curious, how many people on this blog are over 40?

17. Fuzzyslippers says:

I’m guessing the majority of this blog is.

As for Jason, I don’t know what to tell you. The disconnect on myspace/facebook seems to be around 25. I don’t think I know anybody under 25 that doesn’t have at least one profile, a lot have both.

By discounting the biggest social networks for younger VOTERS (outside of the bars) you do your candidate a disservice. I say this as someone who doesn’t give two flying f’s about either of these guys.

One last beef.

You oldhats need to stop writing paper checks too. It’s infuriating.

18. JaseLP says:

The main reason I’ve been using MySpace is to connect with old friends from high school and so on…and for the record I’m 25.

19. Brian from Ellijay says:

Cagle has had a Facebook group at Kennesaw State for over a year. Over 75 members. Mostly CRs. Cagles myspace looks like it is brand new. I think it has a created date on it of 3 days ago. Hence the 40, now 70 people on it. I am sure the Senator appreciates all the free publicity. That being said, I am also sure that it is not anything offficially done by the campaign. Several Teenage Republicans have started myspaces for Sonny, George Allen and I’m sure many others. Justin Tomszak has also started groups on there for the GOP.

20. Demonbeck says:

“It’s Getting Ridiculous”

Erick,

I got news for you. It’s been ridiculous. Of course ridiculosity seems to be a trend in races where Reed is involved.

Remember Skandalakis?
    Remember McCain’s Black Baby?
    etc, etc, etc.