1. McCain-Rice\'08 says:

Cathy Cox has done a great job as Secretary of State and is a formitable candidate for Governor, Im 100% behind Sonny..but I still respect and like Cathy Cox. That being said, I think from reading her interview..I get the sense that she is almost to nieve to be Governor, her plans on bi-partisianship and ethics reform sound good..but thats it, they sound good. I didnt see any proposals for inicietives that would make our state better. Its like she can recognize the problem, talk about working together to fix it..but dosnt put in detail plans to fix it. I would not be suprised if Taylor starts to lead her in the polls. His comercials are ran frequently and he brings up points that are appealing to all Georgians. I have said it to many people, I am a Sonny Supporter all the way but I must say I have never seen 3 candidates that are more likeable in my life, no matter who wins, Georgia will have a great person as Governor..and I hope Its Sonny!

2. bowersville says:

McCain-Rice
    You are full of it!! Put up or shut up!!! Give me the statement of your “close friend” that can explain Handel’s views. Give me the one that can explain what the meaning of “IS….IS. I don’t want to hear cr#p about Taylor/Cox.

3. ugadog says:

Just so long as she’s ready to support Taylor after the primary I don’t care what she says.

4. midtowndem says:

Perdue a former Democrat promised Georgia a vote on the flag and changed his position once he won the Governorship. During his campaign kickoff in Marietta this week Perdue was hounded by flagers holding signs that said “Sonny Lied

5. Beth says:

MTD
    Where do you get this stuff? Show specific examples, instead of spewing venom.

Handel is a straight forward, hard working conservative republican, who has demonstrated her leadership skills in the private sector as well as an elected official. I have heard Sonny say that she has the toughest elected position in GA.

6. 4ofspades says:

Cox a good SoS? She spent $70MM on voting machines that can’t be upgrade and are no obsolete. She refused to implement the voter-id law. Customer service in the organization stinks.

She did do a good job on the website, and a nice job giving herself free publicity in the TV ad’s she ran.

7. Romegaguy says:

I am glad to see that she wants to save us from the good old boys and change how government is done. I guess that is why her first act as a state representative was to vote for Tom Murphy as a voice of change for Speaker.

Oh, and lobbyists are bad except for the one you are married to…

8. Bill Simon says:

4ofSpades,

Since hindsight is 20-20, I’m going to play along with your statement that Cox “wasted $70 million” on voting machines.

1) She probably figured buying the machines back then would mean they would be good for years and the Diebold technology (a firm run by Republicans) would be the standard in the country. It didn’t turnout that way.

2) AND, the most important 20-20 observation is quite simply this: Had those machines NOT been in place in 2002, we would not have won the State Senate enough to get 4 Dems to switch AND Sonny Perdue would not have won Governor. We would have still had rampant cheating going on in those South Georgia counties (of which Sonny won nearly all, I believe).

SO, while I understand the propensity of some people to forget the past and bitch about the current situation (i.e., the investment in those machines is basically a sunk cost), I’m thankful those machines WERE in place on a statewide level in 2002. What about you? 🙂

9. rugby_fan says:

wow she clearly said what she would do while in office–oh wait…no she didn’t.

10. 4ofspades says:

Bill,
    Interesting point about the 2002 elections. I’m not sure I agree with you, but still a good point.

I do agree that we needed a change in the state. We had numerous types of voting systems from punch cards to optical scanners. I’m not sure that we should have jumped in with both feet on the new machines.

One thing to consider in any technology purchase is the ability to upgrade and maintain the systems. These systems can not be upgraded. It should have been a consideration in the purchase.

11. midtowndem says:

David Sirota’s new book: Hostile Takeover: How Big Money & Corruption Conquered Our Government – and How We Take It Back was recently released. The book describes how big business’s has taken over every major issue that matters to Americans.

Sirota shows how corporations have used their power to tilt the playing field toward big business on taxes, wages, jobs, debt, pensions, health care, prescription drugs, energy, unions, and legal rights.

Twenty-two corporate hacks are identified in the book with our own Governor Sonny Perdue (R-Georgia) as one of the top contributors to corporate welfare. But over in Alabama Governor Bob Riley (R-Alabama) is listed as a public hero. To bad we have been stuck with Perdue for 4 years.

12. bowersville says:

Midtowndem
    I’m not even going to comment on the “vomit” of your education which qualifies your “broad understanding” of our needs as georgians.