Wa. Times: GOP targets Georgia districts

Hat Tip: Power Line.

“Republicans scored two of our top recruitment candidates in Collins and Burns,” said National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) spokesman Jonathan Collegio.

Most observers see Mr. Collins as the more promising of the two Republican candidates.

“I think Collins is looking better for Republicans than Burns,” said Nathan Gonzales of the nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report.

Part of the new 8th District includes areas held by Mr. Collins when he previously served in Congress. The district’s new boundaries were carried by President Bush 61 percent to 39 percent in 2004. Vice President Dick Cheney and other administration officials already have campaigned on Mr. Collins’ behalf, according to the NRCC.

After serving one previous term, Mr. Burns lost his seat to Mr. Barrow in 2004 by four percentage points. The district has not been redrawn in Mr. Barrow’s favor, but it is still considered to favor Democrats. Mr. Bush lost the district in 2004 with 46 percent of the vote, but carried the new district with 50.4 percent.

“If Republicans are playing too much defense in other areas, they may not have the resources here,” Mr. Gonzales said.

The NRCC disagrees, arguing the redistricting will void any advantage for the Barrow campaign.

“The district had a net eight-point swing. So, that could put Burns ahead right there. And he’ll be running against a candidate who is more liberal,” Mr. Collegio said.

Read the entire article here.

1. landman says:

I would tend to disagree I think Burns has a better shot at winning than does Collins.

2. SouthernConservative says:

I would tend to agree with landman, though it surprises me that the national organization takes such a different view of the race than do people who live in the district. Is the National GOP that out of touch with her people on the ground?

3. GAWire says:

CQ Politics has also had a few good pieces about these races, and the fundraising assistance coming from DC. They had a good one about McKinney’s new opponents today as well.

I have heard through the “grapevine” that Geogia’s congressional races are about to start receiving some bigtime support out of DC. I know, I know … when it comes right down to the nitty gritty, Georgians don’t really care about folks from DC, but when we have 2 congressional races that are going to come down to the wire, all the fundraising we can get will make all the difference in the world.

Personally, we, as GOPers should be focussing a lot more on our Congressional races, than the statewide races this year! What happens in GA could have a significant impact on the makeup of the 110th Congress, and more importantly, who is in control.

4. I’d be concerned about the high burn rate for Burns and to a lesser degree Collins were I in the GOP. In order to keep close to Barrow in fundraising, Burns has so far spent $200K more in soliciation.

Also of note, Mike Crotts reports having $436,500 in debt. I assume that is personal debt, so my second question is how can someone seemingly so dumb rack up $500K in personal assets to blow on politics?

5. Brian from Ellijay says:

I hope the NRCC doesn’t help Mac and Max the same way they forced Calder to campaign.

6. I assume they’ll stick to the standard Bush + Cheney playbook that has worked so well in Georgia these past 6 years. Might still work in the 8th (because it is so Republican) but I doubt it will work in the 12th where Bush’s popularity is probably south of 45 now. That raises an interesting question that I’d like to see answered here — what does the party of Bush above all else do when Bush is no longer the answer to many Georgians’ questions?

7. GAWire says:

Collins might want to focus more on making sure that he is more conservative than his opponent!

8. Brian from Ellijay says:

The Bush Cheney playbook did not work in middle ga in either 2002 or 2004.

9. Erick says:

Landman, I agree. I have real concerns about the Collins campaign and think Burns just might have a better shot.

10. jsm says:

I don’t think there will be any doubt for voters that Collins is more conservative than Marshall. I’m more concerned about the talent in the Collins campaign. His Senate campaign staff in ’04 was the biggest ineffective mess I’ve ever seen–I was a county chair. I know nothing about his staff for this race.

Mac’s popularity is very good in the 8th district, and he is well liked. He just needs a staff who will get him out in front of the voters and keep up an attractive, effective campaign. Here’s hoping.

11. I’m not sure being the most conservative candidate in the race is the way to go. Like him or not, Marshall’s mainstream conservative credentials on numerous issues are well established in middle Georgia. As someone close to the campaign told me (re: Collins), if you want to be to the right of Ghengis Kahn, go for it!

12. Groseclose says:

Most of the local economies within the southern portion of the district (south of Warner Robins) rely heavily on agriculture. The fact that Mac Collins voted against the last Farm Bill will not play well for him in these areas. (See: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2002/roll123.xml). I am not sure Jim Marshall is any better (even though he is on the house agriculture committee), but he has yet to spat in farmers’ face like Collins did with his nay vote on H.B. 2646. I want to vote for Mac Collins, but I am not sure I can support this guy until he shows some interest/concern about such a vital part of the lower part of this district.