Bob Greer

I’ve mentioned Gary Black, Brian Kemp, and Deanna Strickland, but I’m pretty sure I have not mentioned Bob Greer running for Ag Commissioner. He is a known quantity, but his money is way down below Gary Black’s. Still, it is increasingly apparent that we are going to have a runoff in this race.

Technorati Tags: Georgia, Bob Greer

1. 4ofspades says:

In his latest disclosure he was $112 in the red. He has loaned himself $75k. It will come down to Kemp and Black. I agree that it looks like a run-off

2. Billings says:

What do yall politicos think that Bob Greer is thinking running in this race? He got his ass handed to him in 1998 and how does hethink he is going to win now with a tough primary? All he will do is stregthen Tommy Irvin by driving this thing into a run-off. But he thinks since he is a Vietnam Verteran, we should elect him.

As for Deanna, what a nut. She didnt even get 40% of the vote in 02 and she is -6000 dollars or more now. I mean, why would she do it? What a nut.

He have 2 candidates that broke out of the crazy house and a democrat lobbyist. Things couldnt get much more interesting in this race.

3. George Allen 08 says:

Yeah, I don’t really understand Greer and Strickland here. Both have less than an outside shot of winning the primary and even less of a chance of ousting Irvin. This is certainly a two horse race between Kemp and Black.

4. Pinetop says:

Billings, you forgoet to mention that we also have Developer who has abandoned a Senate Seat that has resulted in a redistricting nightmare. Not picking on anyone just getting all the facts out there.

5. Billings says:

Yes Pinetop blame Kemp for Ralph Hudgins mess up. If I remember right, Kemp didnt sponsor that bill, and furthmore, the reasoning Hudgins gave was to make Madison Co whole.

6. Pinetop says:

Go back and the read the Athens Banner Herald article about this where Senator Chip Rogers stated that he would not touch a person’s district without the approval of the Senator whose district was getting redrawn. Correct me if I am wrong, but that would be Brian Kemp

7. bowersville says:

Pinetop & other candidate suppoters

What is your candidates position on whether NAIS remains voluntary?

8. Groseclose says:

Bowersville, I suppose you are referring to the National Animal Identification System. I support Gary Black, but I am not sure what position he has taken on the issue. So, I will only speak from my personal perspective.

The advantages of NAIS are twofold: 1) we must have such a system if a Mandatory Country of Original Labeling within animals is going to be feasible (which I am not sure COOL is a good idea for animals) 2) as the possibility of Foot and Hoof Disease and Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy remains ever-present, such a system gives an opportunity to track infected animals that only have latent symptoms.

The challenge is who is to bear the cost of implementing the program. I believe the animal industry, not just the federal government, should bear a significant portion of its implementation. But private funding of the program will most likely be disproportionately felt by animal producers rather than the slaughterhouses, distributors, and retailers. As price-takers, farmers have little opportunity to shift their cost up the distribution chain.

As a cattle producer, I lean toward supporting NAIS, but I am concerned about the increased cost. Thus, mandatory NAIS is probably not immediately the answer. Rather, let the market dictate a movement toward this innovative practice.

Bowersville, by your question: Sounds like you have an opinion? Would you like to share?

9. Groseclose says:

I disagree, Erick,I don’t think it is clear that we will have a run-off in this race. Bob Greer takes votes away from Brian, and Dee takes a few votes away from Gary in the Statesboro area. Overall, Bob hurts Brian more than Dee hurts Gary. Though I am not sure, I would place odds on Gary getting at least 50% plus 1 on July 18th.

10. bowersville says:

Groseclose
    I was refering to the National Animal Identification System. I do have an opinion, but I want the candidates to share their position first. You anticipated my next question “Cool” , the Country Of Origin Labeling.

11. Groseclose says:

Bowersville, I don’t expect the respective campaigns to say too much on this website or on their own about this issue. This “mandatory

12. GAPeach says:

If you haven’t heard Bob Greer talk, you should definitely try to attend a speaking engagement. It’s always entertaining. I heard him blame bird flu on illegal immigrants once.

13. DoubleDawg3 says:

Billings — Not that this is really the place to get into the redistricting discussion (or that I’m bothered by it, b/c I kind of like it personally) but I’d say Kemp definitely had a hand in the Athens redistricting – considering, oh say, that Bill Cowsert (Who benefits from the redistricting) is his BROTHER IN LAW! Getting a family member elected might be enough to convince someone (Hudgens) to do a little “district tweaking” — But that’s not the focus of this thread so I’ll stop.

14. bowersville says:

Groseclose
    You’re probably right about keeping the NAIS specific stance low profile. I also understand this policy mandate would come from federal policy and not GADOA. However, I believe the Commissioner of Ag. from each state would have a tremendous influence as to whether this policy becomes mandated. I’ll share my concerns, briefly. I’m in a niche market. This policy, if mandated, drives me out of the niche. It’s too costly and complicated for smaller farms like mine.

15. aggie says:

IRVIN HAS DRIVEN MANY INDUSTRIES OUT OF THIS STATE WITH HIS USUAL HAND OUT POLITICS

GARY BLACK IS HIS EVIL TWIN

KEMP HAS NO IDEA ABOUT ANYTHING LOOK AT THE STATE OF THE STATE SENATE

BOB GREER IS A GOOD MAN, A SMART MAN AND A GREAT LEADER.