Endorsement for Stephens

Karen Handel has the Dan Quayle endorsement.

Today, Bill Stephens has picked up the Nancy Coverdell endorsement. Arguably, the GA GOP has had a tradition since 2002 — the Coverdell primary — who can get Nancy’s endorsement.

Chalk up a win of that primary for Stephens.

1. TigerLily says:

Mrs. Coverdell is well respected and loved throughout the republican base. It is a top notch endorsement that any candidate would be proud to have.

2. The Busdriver says:

Endorsements win elections, right? Just like yard signs.

While endorsements from elected officials are important and prove a candidate/elected official’s credibility, they seldom carry an election.

More to the point, endorsements from unelected officials (ahem, Ralph Reed going on Christian radio to endorse his client Mitch Skandalakis) don’t matter at all. I’m sure Mrs. Coverdell is a wonderful person, but I doubt she could articulate a position on how the strength of the US dollar affects Argentina’s economy.

Dan Quayle. Mrs. Coverdell. Ben Affleck. I’m holding off on picking between Handel and Stephens until I learn who the cashier at Just Brakes is endorsing.

3. pathfinder says:

“Arguably, the GA GOP has had a tradition since 2002 — the Coverdell primary — who can get Nancy’s endorsement.”

Erik:

Who all has she endorsed since 2002? I was just curious about her record for picking winners.

4. I’m sure the percentage of people in a Republican primary who even know/care who Nancy Coverdell is is higher than it is in a general election.

That said it’s maybe 15%? Knowing Stephens impressive grasp of math (see: campaign finance disclosures) he probably thinks this is enough to win the primary!

5. The Busdriver says:

That’s rich. Taking shots at Stevens for the Coverdell endorsement? Why? Is the Quayle endorsement a more prestigious honor?

Really people. Quayle versus Coverdell? Who cares.

6. debbie0040 says:

Reed got Nancy Coverdell’s endorsement. In the end though, the only endorsement that matters is that of the voter.
    Karen will win that endorsement.

7. DoubleDawg3 says:

Okay – so Karen Handel was Marilyn Quayle’s Deputy Chief of Staff – which then leads her husband, Dan Quayle to also endorse Handel — how’s that any different from Nancy Coverdell (Plus, . Furthermore, alot of the Handel supporters on here are also Cagle supporters, so you attack Ralph Reed for having so many contributions from outside of GA — what exactly does Dan Quayle know about GA? (Not knocking Dan Quayle)

As for who exactly Nancy Coverdell has endorsed – I’m not entirely sure, but I know that she did support Johnny Isakson for US Senate (I remember his press releases when she signed on – he touted that alot)

Finally, one question I honestly don’t know that maybe someone in the Handel camp can help me with – where did she go to college? I don’t see anything on her site about her education.

8. Bull Moose says:

Mrs. Coverdell is a very gracefull woman and I have nothing but respect for her, but she is just wrong on this race.

Karen Handel is imminently qualified for this position and regardless of endorsements, I think that Georgia voters will see that Karen’s record of accomplishments trumps her opponents record of campaign finance violations and fines.

9. DoubleDawg3 says:

That explains why I didn’t see anything about it then – appreciate that info. I see now on one story about her that she went directly to work.

10. Trey L. says:

I like Nancy Coverdell, but I am not supporting Bill Stephens or Karen Handel. Charlie Bailey has earned the nomination. He made the runoff four years ago and won handily against all predictions. Charlie has never stopped campaigning.

11. HJ Bailey says:

I can say one thing, Handel works hard! She is everywhere and still manages to raise money, impressive. I have been with Stephens but Handel is growing on me.

12. Beth says:

HJ Bailey,
    Looks like Jackets has come over to the good side, why don’t you jump on the Handel band wagon as well.

13. Harry says:

Personally I’ve move from Handel to undecided, but there’s an under-the-radar issue quickly coming to a head that could perhaps cost Handel the nomination and swing the election to the Democrats. It’s known as Bellwood Quarry. If Handel in her capacity as Fulton County Commission Chair kills the Bellwood deal to buy the land from Vulcan Materials, it will cost her some (or quite a lot) of her intown support. In a Democrat primary snoozer, a lot of these people would have come over and voted for her in the Republican primary.

14. Beth says:

Harry,
    Handel has been in the lead for doing the right thing on the Bellwood Quarry, it’s the Dem’s on the commision that are holding that up. If you want to blame anyone, blame Pitts, Darnell, Edwards, and Boxell. I do believe the right thing will happen at the end of the day.

15. Harry says:

I hope you’re right. The city needs to store excess water, and also it would make a pretty nice park to boot.

16. atlantaman says:

“In a Democrat primary snoozer, a lot of these people would have come over and voted for her in the Republican primary.”

A Democrat primary snoozer…you’re joking right? Cox and Taylor are going to have one of the biggest battles of the century. Besides Fulton Democrats are not like South Georgia Democrats, they are about as hardcore as they come and an insignificant amount would have crossed over for Karen.

If Karen is smart (which I believe she is) she’s not spending a lot of time in South Fulton trying to get folks to swing over and vote in the Republican primary.