Bad Form

Karen Handel’s campaign is circulating a press release with a statement from Bill Stephens’ campaign manager.

1. atlantaman says:

When Stephens was working hard for Bill Clinton and Al Gore there were probably all kinds of behind-the-scenes jokes made about George Bush and Dan Qualye. I’m sure if he went back and read his diary he could come up with all kinds of Democrat insider jokes.

2. Bull Moose says:

VERY POOR TASTE to insult the former Republican Vice President. But, then again, Stephens did work feverishly against him at one time, so I guess I’m not surprised…

Can’t we ever transcend partisanship sometimes?

3. Tommy_a2b says:

I think this is a real moronic move. But I think people are blaming Bill when they should be blaming Stephens’ Campaign Manager. I doubt Bill okayed that statement. If I were Bill I would make a stand and fire him for being an idiot. As bad as I spell I would never have the nerve to make fun of VP Dan Quayle.

4. Bill Simon says:

A) Stephens’ Campaign Manager is a “her.”
    B) I’m certain she cleared it with Bill Stephens beforehand.
    C) Dan Quayle is MORE conservative than Bush ’41 or Bush ’43 put together.
    D) While Dan Quayle certainly had a lot of spelling gaffes, nothing compares to Bill Stephens’ incompetence in keeping his campaign books so bad to the point of getting fined $14,000 for his incompetence.

5. Rusty Paw says:

Sources tell me that his Cash on Hand is somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,500,000.50 or so.

This is a force to be reckoned with. Shyam watch out.

6. Beth says:

Handel’s entire press release:

Is Bill Stephens Still Working for Clinton-Gore?

Bill Stephens takes cheap shot at Vice President Quayle

Atlanta — In an inexplicable reaction from an elected Republican official, Bill Stephens attacked Vice President Dan Quayle yesterday in response to the endorsement of the Vice President and Marilyn Quayle of Fulton County Chairman Karen Handel’s campaign for Secretary of State.

In response to the Quayles’ endorsement, Stephens’ Campaign Manager said (to political newsletter Insider Advantage) “In a Georgia election or a spelling bee, I’ll take Congressmen Deal, Norwood and Westmoreland and 100 state legislators over Dan Quayle any day. At least all of Bill’s endorsers can spell ‘potato.’ ”

Not only is the comment disrespectful towards a Vice President of our country – not to mention one of this nation’s leading conservatives — it also offers some insights into the REAL Bill Stephens. In 1992, Bill Stephens actively campaigned for and supported the Clinton-Gore ticket over President Bush and Vice President Quayle.

Karen Handel said, “While I’ve gotten used to the Stephens attacks, I’m shocked and disappointed that he would stoop to this. The Vice President and Marilyn are dedicated public servants and true conservative leaders. What the Clinton-Gore campaign – and the media – said about them was unfair and disrespectful, and it’s just as bad today. Frankly, I expected better from Bill Stephens.”

Wednesday’s comments from the Stephens’ campaign are just the latest in a year-long series of attacks on the Handel campaign. His negative campaigning started before Karen Handel was even a candidate for Secretary of State and continued this week.

Handel Campaign Manager Marty Ryall added, “We know that Bill Stephens was part of the Clinton-Gore brigade back in 1992, but he is a Republican now and he should start acting like it.

7. atlantaman says:

I think the Handel campaign makes a great point. Stephens switch to the Republican party was fairly opportunistic, but now that he’s a member of the Party he should try to remember which team he’s on. Time to clean the Mondale and Dukakis signs out of the attic.

Clinton and Gore won – you can quit bashing Bush and Quayle now.

8. debbie0040 says:

Karen has a lot of support from conservatives and it will be hard to portray her as liberal. Does anyone in their right mind think Guy Millner would support a liberal? Her list of supporters is impressive:

GEORGIANS FOR KAREN HANDEL STEERING COMMITTEE

Tim Lee, Cobb County Commissioner
    Morris Leverett, Vice-Chairman, Lee County Commission
    Billy Lovett, former Georgia Republican Party Chairman
    Tom McMichael, Vice Chairman Houston County Commission
    Roy Middlebrooks, Rockdale County Commission Chairman
    Bert Nasuti, Gwinnett County Commissioner
    Garland Pinholster, former GA State Representative (Cherokee County)
    Ned Sanders, Chairman, Houston County Board of Commissioners
    Jerry Shearin, Paulding County Commission Chairman
    Al St. Lawrence, Chatham County Sheriff
    Helen Lynah Stone, Chatham County Commissioner
    John Stuckey, former Georgia Republican Party Chairman
    Gary Wisenbaker, Former Chatham County GOP Chairman
    Tom Worthan, Chairman, Douglas County Commission

Finance Committee
    Jeff Cashdan, King and Spalding
    Rayna Casey
    Carol Cookerly, President, Cookerly Public Relations
    Fred Cooper, Cooper Capital; former Chairman Georgia Republican Party
    Dylan Glenn, Former Deputy Chief of Staff to Governor Sonny Perdue; Guggenheim Partners
    Rae Forker Evans, Chairwoman, Ladies Professional Golf Association, and Evans Capital Group
    Rob Garcia, Executive Vice-President of Riverside Bank
    Mark Hennessy of Hennessy Cadillac
    Jimmy Ho, Oriental Treasures
    Charlie Loudermilk, Founder and CEO of Aaron Rents, Inc.
    Guy Millner
    Neal Purcell, (Retired) National Vice Chairman KPMG & former Chairman Georgia Chamber of Commerce
    Joe Rogers, CEO Waffle House, Inc.; former Treasurer of Georgia Republican Party
    Carl Swearigen, (Retired) President Bellsouth Georgia Operations
    John Williams

9. law303peachtreeroad says:

Wow. I see a lot of legislative experience on that list of endorsements. Pretty impressive if you’re running for re-election at the epitome of dysfunction that is Fulton County!

10. Tommy_a2b says:

Rusty Paw, “I’ve just gotten word that Charlie Bailey is going to post ONE IMPRESSIVE DISCLOSURE this period. He held a fundraiser that was co-hosted by Saxby, Johnny, Kingston, Linder and Price. He’s the people’s choice, and he’s got this guy’s support: ”

Not even a funny joke. Charlie’s time has come and gone and gone and gone.

11. Rusty Paw says:

Apologies to Tommy_a2b, and anyone else who takes anything written about campaigns on this site seriously.

Blog’s lose their usefulness because of the anonymity they provide. It should be no surprise though that the majority of the posts regarding any of these races are made by bored staffers with too few tasks at hand.

The Pundit is at it’s very best when it addresses issues that can not be denigrated by intra-party bickering. The fight against Cathy Cox or Mark Taylor will be a fine example of this when primary season is over and the GOP looks united and cohesive.

Until July 18 get used to my sarcasm. It will often be in poor taste, and aim to make such political hacks as Tommy, Skeptical, Law and others feel like the overconcerned, but loyal, campaign staff they are.

Thank you for your time. I’ll leave you with this: My SoS candidate is certainly Bailey, I’m thinking of writing in Dan Quayle for Lt. Gov, and I am ABSOLUTELY TORN between Strickland and Greer for Ag. Hopefully someone as insightful as Tommy will be able to help me decide on that last race.

12. Maurice Atkinson says:

Maybe I was born in a barn or just am a darn yankee but who the heck is Charlie Bailey? har har

And Debbie, my apologies for being rude on a prior thread.