Carter strays from the party line.

I’m guessing Jimmy didn’t clear this with Bobby Kahn:

The former president said requiring voters to show a free photo identification at the polls was just as “practical” as the many identification needs of daily life.

“Americans have to remember you have to have the equivalent to what we’re requiring to cast a ballot to cash a check or board a plane,” Carter during the event at The Carter Center.

1. bird says:

President Carter took this stance some time ago. However, if I am remembering correctly, his proposal required that national ID cards would be free and readily available.

Which brings up another of Perdue’s strokes of genius. Someone asked me the other day what Perdue has done in office. All I could come up with was that he closed every DMV office in the City of Atlanta! There was a run down office on Moreland I used to have to wait 3+ hours to get through. Obviously there was a demand. Perdue’s solution? Close it!

Then, get this, he required poor folks without transportation to go to a DMV office to get an ID card so they could vote. I wonder why people got mad about that.

Perdue ’08, because it’s better to Perdue nothing than to go out like Governor Barnes.

2. atlantaman says:

“Then, get this, he required poor folks without transportation to go to a DMV office to get an ID card so they could vote. I wonder why people got mad about that”

Well these same folks manage to find transportation to go vote, something tells me they can find the transportaion to get an ID card.

3. bird says:

Wow.

In Atlanta, there are myriad precincts, many within less than a mile of each other. Until Sonny had to open a DMV TRAILER because of the lawsuit against the voter ID bill, there was not one office for getting an ID in the city of Atlanta.

This is an important distinction, and I’m miffed that you don’t see it. Let me give you another example, I personally met a 21 your old parapalegic confined to a chair in Middle Georgia. He could take his chair to the voting precinct just a few blocks away, but had no way to get to the ID office many miles away because his family was too poor to afford transportation that would fit him and his chair.

President Carter’s proposal would drasitcally increase the number of ID offices. Any precinct could issue a voter ID. This might be a good compromise. By the way, Carter’s plan was developed in conjunction with James Baker.

4. Fuzzyslippers says:

“He could take his chair to the voting precinct just a few blocks away, but had no way to get to the ID office many miles away because his family was too poor to afford transportation that would fit him and his chair.”

This story is ludacrisp.

You want me to believe this “guy” never goes further than a “few blocks” of where he lives? Hell, I can’t even get a decent sandwich within 15 minutes from where I live.

Where does he shop? Is his doctor/dentist/clinic all within a few blocks? Where does he work? Or does he work? Are his disability checks mailed to him?

Look, I think this whole thing is a little misguided, but please don’t spoonfeed me stories like this.

I feel just a little more dumb for reading it. May God have mercy on your soul.

5. atlantaman says:

Good point, folks find ways to get around when they need to. Were not talking having to make a trip the ID or DMV office on a weekly basis here. What does someone do if they have a problem with their SS, they catch a ride to the SS office. Heaven forbid if they need a ride to the VA hospital in Atlanta.

I’m sure if this law goes into the effect both parties will organize ID drives.

When the Dems complain about this they describe their base as if they are a bunch of incompetent boobs, who live under rocks, that have never heard of public transportation.

6. HJ Bailey says:

Who really cares what Carter thinks anymore? It is time for him to go to some retirement community.

7. bird says:

You are wrong Fuzzy. First, I’m not a liar, which is what I would be if I made this story up. I personally met this guy in Ft. Valley, Georgia, where public transportation is basically non-existent. I know the guys name, but I am not going to post it here.

And, of course, he occassionally has to go more than a few miles from his home, but I assume a special hospital bus is arranged. It is extremely difficult and time consuming.

On that note, there are many people in Georgia who haven’t been more than a few miles from their home. Doing volunteer work near Bankhead Highway, I have met two teenagers that claim to have never been more than one or two miles from their home. I don’t think they are making this up because both of these kids admitted it with obvious embarrasment. These kids had not ideas of the opportunities in our country because every other kid they know drops out of school by the 6th grade.

If you don’t believe these things it is because you live in a bubble. Please, take the time to do some volunteer work and get to know some of these people–they live in almost every community.

8. Fuzzyslippers says:

Bird,

I don’t think the “guy” would appreciate you referring to him in this way. Afterall, he’s paraplegic, not bed ridden.

In addition, you don’t know a thing about me…including where I live or how much I do for anyone or any cause. So put a cork in it. This discussion isn’t about me. It’s about these ridiculous examples of people that “can’t get anywhere”

In addition, unless things have changed recently, students are required BY LAW to go to school until age 16 in the state of Georgia. So yeah, I guess I’m calling you a liar.

The bubble in which I live is called realitiy. You should try it.

9. bird says:

Thanks for that reality check. You don’t think kids stop going to school before they are 16. Not in your neighborhood maybe but try Vine City and Bankhead Hwy. Of course it isn’t legal, neither is dealing drugs. That doesn’t stop people from doing it.

And I’ve met a parapalegic who I wont name who told me he couldn’t get to the DMV. I talked to him for about half an hour as part of a legal proceeding, and I believe his story. I would be happy to let him know everything I’ve said about him hear. What is so derogatory? He has a problem, and it needs to be addressed.

By the way, I’ve never called you a name. So much for civil discourse.

10. Fuzzyslippers says:

No. I don’t think “every other” 11 year old is dropping out of school.

Could a FEW slip through the cracks? Sure.

Maybe you can convince me otherwise? Can you link an article that would back up your claim? I mean if 50% of middle school kids weren’t in school shouldn’t Channel 2 Action news get involved?

You seem to be so trusting of a person when these people tell you their stories.

To be truthful, I will concede that there ARE people who never leave their homes. Bariatric patients, agoraphobes, etc. That said, using a paraplegic in this case is not the same. The only thing that one could argue is that it is an inconvenience. I believe that.

Why don’t people just say that? But no. We get, “I know of a guy that is so poor he can’t get to the DMV.” “I have a friend that has a broken pinkie toe and can’t get to the DMV.” Like I said before, I think the voter registration card is bunk. But please save me the drama.

Finally, if calling someone on their bull is uncivil…then I am a neanderthal.