Reed and Barbour

I hear the Reed event with Governor Barbour turned out nicely. Though I got the invite, I didn’t have the cash to attend. In any event, Governor Barbour, who should in my estimation be put on the 2008 short list for his competence in handling Katrina, spoke highly of Ralph, as expected. I don’t know about the money raised, but I do know from one of the skeptics present that those in attendance are fully still with Ralph, despite rumors to the contrary.

Now flying monkeys, launch your assaults in the comments section ๐Ÿ˜‰

(I assume you all read National Review faithfully enough to know flying monkeys are not a derogatory reference. The good Lord knows some of you are hyper-sensitive when it comes to saying anything favorable about particular people including Reed)

1. larry smith says:

Savannah Morning News: Ralph Reed rides on taxpayers’ nickel

Sheriff’s car took him from the airport to the St. Patrick’s Day parade.

Larry Peterson
    (912) 652-0367
    [email protected]

–>
    The sheriff’s department drove lieutenant governor candidate Ralph Reed from the airport to Savannah for Friday’s St. Patrick’s Day parade.

Chatham County Sheriff Al St Lawrence said he had a car pick up Reed at Signature Aviation and take him to the parade’s starting point.

The Republican candidate then rode with St Lawrence, a Reed supporter, in the parade.

Parade officials let statewide or local elected officials such as St Lawrence join the procession in their own cars, but not candidates such as Reed.

Reed is in a hard-fought contest with state Sen. Casey Cagle of Chestnut Mountain for the GOP nomination.

Cagle spokesman Brad Alexander questioned whether it was right for taxpayers to pay for transporting a candidate in a contested election.

“It is particularly disappointing,” Alexander added, “that Ralph Reed chose to ask a uniformed deputy to waste time driving him around on the busiest day of the year in Savannah.

“If this is any indication of Ralph’s approach to law enforcement, every criminal in Georgia should endorse his candidacy.” St Lawrence said he acted on the request of Jerry Loupee, Reed’s Chatham County co-chair and a former local Chatham County Republican chair.

The sheriff said it was part of his traditional practice “of trying to get people to where they need to be on St. Patrick’s Day.”

“It’s not like he (Reed) could get in his car and drive to where he needed to be,” St Lawrence added.

St Lawrence said he provided similar assistance to U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss and U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston, both Georgia Republicans.

Loupee said he asked St Lawrence for help “after I found out that Ralph could not be in the parade by himself.”

Loupee acknowledged it would be wrong for taxpayer money to be spent to take a candidate to a campaign event but said the parade is different.

Nor is driving Reed to the parade any different than giving Chambliss and Kingston rides, he said.

“They’ve been doing this sort of thing for years, all over the state and not just in this county,” he said, “I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

But Frank Murray, the local GOP’s first vice chair, disagreed.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate for taxpayers’ money to be spent one way or the other (when there’s a contested race),” Murray said.

2. Three Jack says:

Wonder if the good sheriff was assisted in writing the following while transporting his buddy around Savannah — (sent out by Reed campaign Sunday)

“Ralph Reed: A Conservative Leader We Trust”

Casey Cagleโ€™s recent opinion column in the Savannah Morning News is a case study in attempted guilt by association and is proof-positive of one fact: the only thing this man has to talk about is Ralph Reed.

The very first press release Casey Cagle sent out as a candidate for Lt. Governor personally attacked Ralph Reed. Since then he has engaged in a negative and deceptive campaign to try to distract voters from his own lackluster record as a state legislator.

Casey says he values honesty, but he has not found time to answer several questions that have been asked of him over the past months.

Casey was asked why he walked off the Senate floor when S.B. 86, a critical bill that protected property rights and curbed eminent domain abuse, was being voted on. His answers have ranged from, โ€œI had a speaking engagement,

3. Chris says:

Was Barbour really good, or did he just look good when compared to Blanco?

(My job is crisis management – I’m always interested in positive examples)

4. Bill Simon says:

Several points need to be made here for the Sheriff:

1) Saxby Chambliss and Jack Kingston are elected dignataries. Any defense by Sheriff St. Lawrence or Jerry Loupee that includes their names as part of the defense of this act is utterly ridiculous.

2) If Ralph Reed is “unable” to navigate himself to a parade via other forms of transportation (cab, taxi, limo, etc.), then that demonstrates someone who isn’t too well connected with life. In other words, someone who is quite the elitist.

5. GAWire says:

Oh, my goodness, Erick! How could you refer to us as flying monkeys!?! That is just so …

Not really. I’m just kidding. It just didn’t feel right yet, without someone crying outrage, so I stepped up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyways, how many of that 50 were rank and file Reed? How many have maxed out already? And finally, I have always liked Haley, since he was Party Chair, but Chris brings up a good point …

I thought when you were referring to flying monkeys, you were talking about all of those that looked good during Katrina when compared to Blanco!

6. Bill Simon says:

Wrong movie, wrong analogy, Erick.

We’re not flying monkeys. We’re hobbits in a life and death struggle with Sauron Reed for the future of our state and our party.

The Nine Ringwraiths are, in no particular order: Sadie Fields, Judi Quigley, Cathy Hilderbrand, Linda Hamrick, Elizabeth LaVack, Pat Tippett, Kay Godwin, Linda Parker, and there’s one other I cannot remember at the moment. It’ll come to me.

7. Bull Moose says:

If 50 people is a success, then yeah, Ralph had a rousing time last night with Haley Barbour — his fellow former lobbyist turned Governor.

Ralph Reed is a joke to almost everyone in this country and state except to those who have drank the kool-aid in their support of him.

What’s funny is that Ralph jokes about the days when Republicans could meet in a phone booth, well, the Ralph Reed supporters could all meet in a phone booth!

The longer that Ralph stays in this race, the longer that Democrats can raise money and make a case against us in November…

8. George Allen 08 says:

I think yall heard the facts wrong. There were 50 in the private reception with Governor Barbour and another couple hundred for the main reception.

9. larry smith says:

George,

If there were more than a couple dozen people, the Reed folks would have put out a big release announcing what a huge smashing success the event was. Instead, all they have is a picture of Ralph and Haley behind a podium.

Clearly, the event was a flop. I’m willing to revise that statement if the Reed campaign can produce an actual photo, which I will guarantee you they won’t. Of course, we might be reading about the event in the paper, except that Haley insisted on having it closed to the press so no one would report that he was in town with Ralph.

10. larry smith says:

Now that Ralph’s making police officers chaffeur him around, what’s next? Having the fire department come water his lawn?

11. Jack S says:

Larry makes a good point. It’s a kick off – where’s the photo of the crowd? I smell another Reed fraud.

12. Bill Simon says:

Ah, it’s come to me now!! The ninth Ringwraith is Senator Cecil Staton.

Erick, would you like to play the role of Gollum? You know, the role where sometimes you’re on the side of the hobbits and then sometimes you turn to the dark side with Ralph and Cecil?

13. Bill Simon says:

I thought about her, but I wasn’t entirely sure she was still in Ralphie’s camp.

Perhaps there can be a second-string, bench-warming team of Ringwraiths? We could then bring-in Mitch Seabaugh.