Fonda Resolution Withdrawn

State Senator Steen Miles (D-43rd) has withdrawn her resolution commending Jane Fonda.

“Honoring Jane Fonda, no matter how much good work she has done, would be spitting on everyone who has ever worn the uniform of this country,” Douglas said Wednesday. He gave an impassioned speech in which he accused Fonda of betraying America in wartime and working for the nation’s defeat.

Several lawmakers gave Douglas a standing ovation.

Fonda, a two-time Academy Award winning-actress, created a stir in the early 1970s when she engaged in anti-war activities, including posing on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. Fonda has said that she regretted the gesture, but she continues to speak out regularly on controversial political and social issues, including the war in Iraq.

Miles then gave a lengthy speech explaining her actions in introducing the resolution. She said she and several other senators have been trying to honor women who do good work for Georgia all month.

A tearful Miles also took issue with the criticism that she does not understand or is insensitive to the military. She said her brother and former husband both served in the Vietnam War. “I have a deep and abiding respect and love for our men and women warriors,” Miles said.

1. GAWire says:

Fox News Channel actually had a Breaking News Alert for this. Of course, they have Alerts everytime the President wears a blue shirt it seems, so that isn’t a big deal. Still, thought it was funny that FNC was covering this story …

2. jacewalden says:

Senator John Douglas, the Senator who fought this bill, will be on FNC again at 1:00 this afternoon…I forget the name of the show he’s appearing on. Thank God someone had the balls to step up and fight this Hanoi Jane Resolution though.

3. emily says:

I’m sure that Mark Taylor’s team is glad to have Senator Miles as one of his first endorsers. She and Cynthia M. can stand hand-in-hand at his concession speech.

4. GAWire says:

Speaking of Cynthia M., I saw in yesterday’s The Hill that she will be appearing in a documentary which will chronicle, “black voting in America through the lens of the 2000 Presidential Election and the battle over Florida.” She also talks about corruption in the recount process, and how the same corruption is the reason she lost her seat.

I guess this is her most recent substitute for her conspiracy theory excuses on the Bush Administration, as reasons why she lost. Here’s a good reason for her … how about: You’re Crazy!!

You Dems must just love her, huh? Have fun with that one …

5. Eddie T says:

I just think it’s funny that there are google ads for “Jane Fonda Workout” at the top of the page.

6. elaine says:

I agree with you guys concerning Jane Fonda, but she is doing a great job of raising funds and sponsoring programs for pregnant teens. http://www.gcapp.org

When she started the program Georgia was one of the top states for teen pregnancy. I gave money to it last year and hope to do so again this year. The programs have been very effective.

I know that’s one pro to the many cons.

7. atlantaman says:

It sounds like Steen was trying to do some kiss ass resolution so she could get a chance to meet Jane Fonda.

I saw a bumper sticker just the other day that read, “I’ll forgive Jane Fonda when the Jews forgive Hitler.” I was too young to go to Vietnam, but I imagine the soldiers getting tortured in POW camps weren’t too happy to see her having a gay ol time with the Viet Cong.

I’m sure she’s done a lot of great things but in an earlier time in our Country she wouldn’t have been around to apologize or help the children since they shot traitors back then.

She’s definitely narrowed the scope of what’s considered treason in this country.

8. midtowndem says:

Democrat Senate Minority Leader Robert Brown should never have allowed this to come to the floor. This kind of crap damages the Democratic Party and politics in general. I think its best not to pass useless resolutions honoring people. Why don’t they focus on the important issues like jobs, transportation, healthcare, and taxes?