Senate to reconsider honoring Fonda.

Sen. Steen Miles’ resolution honoring Jane Fonda passed but was then challenged by Sen. John Douglas:

But Sen. John Douglas (R-Covington), a retired Army major and the chairman of the Senate Veterans and Military Committee, stood up as the Senate was adjourning and briefly voiced his strong opposition to the resolution. His words provoked a strong response from Miles, who argued that Fonda’s work deserved recognition. She then criticized her fellow lawmakers for not considering enough legislation to help the state’s most vulnerable residents.

“We have been very, very hypocritical when it comes to taking care of the least of these and the lost,

1. GAWire says:

Boy, if they take that one back, I will consider it a successful legislative session! Also, will make Miles look pretty stupid …

2. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Tomorrow morning should be fun in the Senate. I hope they verbally tar and feather Jane Fonda.

Very well done Sen Douglas…..well done indeed!

3. ConservativeFire says:

She deserves to be banished to Vietnam! She has no right to enjoy freedom in America after what she did.

4. jacewalden says:

The Liberals are saying that Fonda has “made a lot of changes in her life since Vietnam” and since “people can change” we should just forgive her…um, how about “no”. How can any senator vote for this bill and go back to their districts and tell the veterans “we appreciate your service”? VOTE MILES OUT!

5. Skeptical says:

So, pay no attention to the other VERY valid point made by Senator Miles: that this legislative body has done quite a bit of harm to those among us with the least. Nice track record y’all have got going there. I bet the parents of the 75,000 children kicked off of PeachCare don’t give a rat’s ass about what some actress did 30 years ago. I can think of quite a few Americans alive today who are far more worthy of criticism. You GOPers think Jane is a war criminal. I guess it’s all semantics. I consider people who start unnecessary wars, sending thousands off to their deaths, and then profiting madly from them to be war criminals deserving of punishment, not sitting in the highest offices of the land. I consider government officials who spy on their own citizens without proper reasoning or going through the proper channels to be criminals. I consider people who put corporate interests before people they supposedly “represent” to be the lowest of the low, but I guess we all have different gauges for our public servants.

Let’s criticize an actress for something she did 30 years ago, never mind the fact that she’s done a tremendous amount of good for her adopted home state since she came here. What good have you done? Oh yeah, that’s right – you lob missives at a woman who could care less what you think of her. Feel better?

And no matter what side of the aisle you are on, you’ll probably agree that there are far more important issues that need to be taken up by the State Senate other than patting someone on the back for their charity work.

If this is all you have to bitch about, you are very fortunate indeed.

6. jacewalden says:

Wow, Skeptical, I couldn’t agree more…there are more important things to worry about than Jane Fonda…With that being said, why don’t you write a strongly-worded letter to the 6 senators who introduced the legislation in the first place? I guess that would be too easy. It’s a lot more noble of you to try to tie Jane Fonda in with the current administration (even though you said yourself that it happened 30 years ago).

Jane Fonda has nothing to do with George W. Bush. If you’re mad at Bush, fine, I can agree with you on that–but to use your anger toward him as a way of canonizing Jane Fonda is ignorant and petty. It’s one thing to protest; it’s one thing to be mad at your government. What Jane Fonda did was more than protest. She aided and abetted. The top Vietnamese commander said after the fall of South Vietnam in 1975 that without the help of groups like Fonda’s, The North Vietnamese may have lost the war.

If you want to wallow in your own ignorance though…be my guest.

7. Skeptical says:

Now now jacewalden – I suggest you go back and re-read what I said – very slowly so you can understand it. I didn’t tie Jane in with the current administration. I said it was all in how you look at it. You guys get worked up over an old woman and her doings 30 years ago. I choose to be angry over the current bankrupting, both fiscally and socially, of our country now. I choose to live in the now, not the past.

And I most certainly didn’t canonize Ms. Fonda. I said she had done good work since moving to Georgia (with the exception of that godawful movie Monster-In-Law! Ew. What a stinker!).

And how do you know that I haven’t written to the 6 senators who introduced this legislation chastizing them for wasting everyone’s time and money? I like to see actual progress being made under the Gold Dome, not grandstanding for the folks back home during an election year (yeah, I know…I’m sorely disappointed quite a bit) and I’m seeing it on both sides. This resolution was unnecessary, but so was poor pitifule Senator’s Douglas’s tearjerker speech. He, actually having served in the military, deserves his say, but this comment smacks of rank partisanship to me: “It starts off with her actions during the Vietnam War and it continues today. No amount of good work now will make up for her past actions against the military and our country.