Rich Districts

I thought this article in The Hill from a couple of weeks ago was interesting, because it outlines the wealthiest Congressional Districts in the nation.

The article focuses on the fact that most of the wealthiest districts are around the DC area; however, what really caught my attention is that Georgia’s own 7th 6th (thanks, Spades)  District is ranked #4 on the list.  Tom Price has the 4th wealthiest Congressional District in the nation.

I am not surprised that this District is indeed wealthy, because I know firsthand the demographics and residents; however, I was surprised that it is 4th in the nation.  It also makes me question where other Atlanta suburban Districts are ranked on that list.

1. atlantaman says:

A lot of times to be a wealthy area or district nationally it has as much to do with lack of poor people as it does with lots of “rich” people.

2. GAWire says:

I think it is safe to say that both the concentration of some of the wealthiest people in the country and the lack of a great deal of poor people in this N. Fulton District have a lot to do with this being #4 on the list.

However, there are a significant amount of hispanics in this area, which brings up an interesting question – where do they come in to play, as far as the demographic make up of this area goes? Are most illegal or just not tracked? Doesn’t really have anything to do with the original question (whatever that was), but just thought of that as we were addressing the District’s makeup.

Perhaps someone from Price’s office should come on and explain their District’s demographics.

3. spaceygracey says:

Speaking of makeup (love Clinique myself; Tammy Fay Baker’s fave too, bless her wacky ‘lil ole heart)… did everyone see the NYT frontpage piece Sunday about shifting demos and the rapid gentrification of downtown Atlanta? It was written by that deadly dull SE-based reporter of theirs, Shaila Dewan though. Sure makes you long for that lard-butt they used to have, Rick Bragg, but I diverge…

Here’s an excerpt:

“Some, like Mayor Shirley Franklin, who is serving her second and final term, play down the significance of the change, saying that the city — now 54 percent black — will remain progressive and that voters here do not strictly adhere to racial lines. Others warn of the dilution, if not the demise, of black power.

“It’s certainly affecting local politics,” said Billy Linville, a political consultant who has worked for Ms. Franklin. “More white politicians are focusing on possibly becoming mayor and positioning themselves accordingly, whereas in the past they would not have. The next mayor of Atlanta, I believe, will be African-American, but after that it may get very interesting.”

Full article here:

4. Brian from Ellijay says:

Is this the old 6th or the new sixth. The old sixth surely would be more affluent then what is now the sixth. They may have dropped. Although I do remember at one point it being up thier with Orange County as number 2 or so, so it may have already dropped to number 4.

5. GAWire says:

That’s a good question, Brian. It is based on the current Districts. That is true, though, that since the realignment, the affluency has decreased some. Perhaps it was spreading into W. Fulton/E. Cobb. I don’t know – I am not an expert on our Districts or the Demographics, and that “first hand” knowledge I was speaking of doesn’t necessarily mean I live in Price’s District.

6. Bill Simon says:

Then…what is your definition of “firsthand,” GAW? How do you have firsthand knowledge of something unless you were directly exposed to something?

7. atlantaman says:

I’d say the wealthiest people in the Country do not live in Tom Price’s suburban district. Price’s district is your typical bedroom community of mid to upper level managers and a few CEO’s thrown in for good measure. Price’s district have very little lower class it’s all middle to upper class people.

The wealthiest people in the Country live in places like Buckhead GA, Greenwich CT, Park Avenue NY, Kennilworth IL, Basking Ridge NJ, Naple FL, Beverly Hill CA, etc..

I seriously doubt there is even one member of the Forbes 400 in Tom Price’s district.

8. The wealthiest people in the country also don’t live in a neighborhood big enough to make up a Congressional district. But you take Dunwoody (community with highest household income in the state) and add North Fulton, East Cobb and Cherokee and I doubt you’ll find too many households earning less than $80,000/year. Since the average household income is probably about 1/3 of that, I’d say the absense of any “super rich” doesn’t preclude the district from being near the top of an average list.

But then again, I don’t know the criteria. If you are looking at total assets of the people in the district and not household income, the list could be quite different.

9. Question: Since my parents live in a neighborhood that is literally half in district 6 and half in district 4 (we are in the 4 side) will “district envy” be overtaking our side of the street?

Will it no longer just be the grass that’s greener on the other side?