Emails show the truth about Ralph Reed’s priorities…

In a statement today, the Casey Cagle for Lt. Governor campaign challenged lobbyist and primary election opponent Ralph Reed to explain why he spent the most critical day of the 2000 election trying to squeeze money from convicted felon Jack Abramoff rather than working for his client, then Governor George W. Bush.

The 2000 election was one of the closest presidential races in U.S. history, and Reed has repeatedly claimed credit for playing a huge personal role in Bush’s victory.  Yet, e-mails recently turned over to Senate investigators show Reed was not focusing his energy on Florida or any other state on that critical day.  Instead, he spent his time leaking poll numbers to Jack Abramoff and trying to wring more money out of his casino industry clients.

Following is the text of one e-mail exchange between Ralph Reed and Jack Abramoff, dated 11/7/2000:

Reed:   “I arrive in Austin this afternoon. call me between 4 and 7 p.m. central on my cell.  i should have exit polling in that period for you. just a reminder, we’re owed about 60k-75k for the (blacked out by committee staff) project and are still owed $40-60k on another project going back to the summer through September,  would like to get that cleared out now that the election is over. thanks. We’ll discuss if need be.

1. larry smith says:

This is a real issue for Ralph. The election comes down to a handful of votes, and he’s blowing it off to play with Jack.

I wonder if the President will finally make that endorsement Ralph has been telling everyone to expect when he comes down tomorrow?

2. Jack S says:

[Site Moderator’s Note: For those who don’t scroll all the way through the comments, Jim Collins, a friend of Erick’s btw, is on record below denying this. The comment is left in its entirety, but with apologies to Jack, we’re striking through it.]

That’s what Jim Collins on Ralph’s staff told a friend of mine this weekend on St. Simons. The President will endorse at the President’s Day event and it will be the big coup of the campaign.

Personally I don’t believe it because it’s pretty apparent at this point that Ralph and his team lie about everything. But that’s the word from the Ralph fanatics.

3. HowardDawg says:

Just got this from the Reed Team about the email Cagle’s team sent out saying Ralph was talking to Abramoff all day on Election Day 2000. With all the stuff that Ralph did for the President I’m fairly certain that the President will endorse Ralph tomorrow at the GOP event.

1. Ralph traveled throughout the country and campaigned for President Bush in 2000 in both the primaries and the general election. He campaigned in Iowa, one of the top battleground states in the nation, on the Friday before the election, along with Senator Charles Grassley and Elizabeth Dole.

2. Ralph’s firm was involved in the get-out-the-vote and voter contact effort of Bush-Cheney, and oversaw the mailing of millions of pieces of mail and millions of phone calls into targeted battleground states in the final days before the Election.

3. Ralph was in Austin, Texas at the Bush-Cheney campaign headquarters on Election Day 2000. He was not lobbying.

4. President Bush came to Georgia repeatedly during the 2000 campaign, including twice during the 2000 Republican primary. Laura Bush also came for an event, and President George H.W. Bush visited for an event. Ralph was at every single one of these events and assisted in raising funds. We never saw Casey Cagle at a single event—until he started running for Lt. Governor.

5. Ralph was a member of President Bush’s political team from the beginning of his candidacy. If Casey Cagle thinks Ralph did a poor job, apparently the Bush campaign did not. He was named Southeast Regional Chairman for the Bush-Cheney campaign in 2004.

4. larry smith says:

Wow, sounds like Ralph and/or his red-headed homunculus is upset. All those childhood nightmares of being stuffed in lockers must be recurring.

5. Bill Simon says:

While Bush may endorse Ralph tomorrow night, it will not be in front of the true party faithful. Remember, most of these tables will be paid for by lobbyists at the $10,000 per table price and there will just be a bunch of bodies off the street sitting in those chairs.

6. Jim says:

Jack S – Don’t know if you are making up stuff on purpose or someone else lied to you. But I did not tell anyone that on St. Simons (or anywhere else). I realize most of the stuff on here is just campaign spin so I try to ignore it. But an out an out lie attributed to me is too much.

7. Beth says:

I would bet that W mentions Ralph as a good friend and supporter. I’d be shocked if there was an endorsement.

8. Bull Moose says:

If W endorses Reed (which I don’t think he will) it just means that the wagons are circling and the power’s that be are trying to protect one of their own. It will be a rallying cry for us to take back our state.

There is a segment of people in society that will believe anything that Reed says and then there are those who can think and read and they know better.

The facts and the proof speaks for itself and it speaks volumes about Ralph Reed’s priorities.

Georgia doesn’t need Enron’s lobbyist — thanks but no thanks.

9. Jack S says:

I’ll trust my long time friend on St Simons over some damn lobbyist and Ralph Reed apologist any day.

The MO of the Reed campaign: Make huge claims to individuals and then start back pedalling. They’ve done it the whole way on this race. They said they’d have 3 million…not. They said early on the President was going to come to town and endorse and early supporters would be remembered….not.

Forgive me if I don’t believe a word anyone associated with Ralph Reed says.

10. Brian from Ellijay says:

I am sure we will know soon enough. I can not see it happening. But if it does occur, I am not so sure it is a positive for Ralph. The Presidents numbers are not as good as they should be, and with the new Port talk, they are falling quickly. Not to mention that the talk show hosts are taking him to town on being a liberal. I support the President, but at the same time you have to wonder what his big picture is…I do not think he cares about conservatives anymore now that the elections over.

11. Maurice Atkinson says:

There AIN’T gonna be an endorsement from GWB. At least thats my bet. This race/Party are already pretty much divided. The deep pockets who have already invested in Ralph will stay with Ralph. They’ll be friendly with Casey as well.

That “undecided” is the big factor and you won’t see it swaying a whole lot until May. When the media ads begin that number will sway dramatically in both directions. My belief is, that given the fact that so much national press and senate investigations that dog Reed, will ultimately provide enough skepticism to beat him.