1. Beth says:

Amazing how he ammended the bill after he heard Handel speak about how the old machines couldn’t be retro fitted. His orginal bill called for the current machines to have printers attached. Nice research Stephens…

2. law303peachtreeroad says:

Amazing how, as a Senator, Bill Stephens is in a position to do something about voting for the citizens of Georgia and not just talk about change.

Elect a leader, not a laughingstock!

~ Stephens ’06

3. Ben Raspail says:

Beth, cute post, but I’m going to go ahead and have you wake up now. Your comment makes it clear you know nothing about the legislative process (which also leads me to believe you may have close ties to Handel, who has no experience working with the General Assembly, either). I’ll give you a quick lesson (for those of you with a brain, please skip this section):

Legislation is introduced; Legislation is assigned to committee; Committee prioritizes legislation and hears those bills/resolutions with merit; In this case, committee passes legislation in the form of a committee substitute; Eligible legislation is placed on the General calendar; Rules committee selects worthy legislation to be placed on the Rules calendar; The full Senate hears the Rules calendar; In this case, legislation is passed by the Senate unanimously .

Whew. Today’s lesson concluded. As you can see, Beth, there are many opportunities for a bill to be perfected along the way and that is precisely the way the process is supposed to work. Responsible legislators do their homework up front, but they also allow for input and amendments throught the legislative process. Who knows, we may have a completely different bill on our hands when SB 500 comes out of the House.

I simply don’t think Senator Stephens has been taking policy cues from Commissioner Handel. FYI – I think the Secretary of the Senate’s office may have an easy-to-read schematic on how a bill becomes a law if you want to pick that up and then pass it on to Mrs. Handel when you’re done.

4. Beth says:

Oh wise and holy Ben, thanks for the primer. I do understand the process, and have tracked this bill, which lead me to my conclusions.

Quite frankly, I wish I could be a member of Karen’s staff, but can’t afford the pay cut. I do follow Handel quite closely.

I understand that most people on this site have legislative envy, but believe it or not there are other elected officials that have much more challenging jobs, and have risen to the challenges like Handel.

Dawgs, yet another of many insightful posts.

5. law303peachtreeroad says:

Not really sure if there is anything as difficult as running the State of Georgia. I know for sure that doing a poor job of managing Fulton County is hardly a comparison. Beth I think you need to spend more time at the Capitol, under the Gold Dome and not “tracking legislation”. You would learn what a tough job being a State Senator is. I think if more people did that they would better understand why Bill Stephens is the most prepared candidate to perform as the first Republican Secretary of State.

~Stephens ’06

6. Beth says:

Law,
    I think my life would be complete without spending anytime under the dome. I don’t suffer from legislative envy.

7. Bill Simon says:

Law, you think the state senators “run the state of Georgia?” Perhaps you’re not too familiar with this concept called a “legislative body” and an “executive branch” of government? The Executive branch is the part that “runs the state of Georgia.”

I doubt very seriously that Mr. Stephens could “run anything” except, perhaps, either his mouth or some female intern into the ground.

8. Bill Simon says:

Say, Ben, you forgot to insert the part where the lobbyists along the way take the legislators out to dinner at Bone’s and The Cheetah to pry the legislators with food, alcohol, and tasty treats to get them to change something in the bill that helps their client.