Cagle Event in Macon

I’ve received a lot of emails from Cagle supporters telling me how wonderful the Cagle event was in Macon. I’d expect them to say that.

But . . .

I went out for drinks tonight with a Reed supporter and had one call me at home earlier — both of them attended. I think it is safe to accurately say that the Reed base in Macon has gone wobbly, at best. The Cagle event, which was planned for about twenty, had at least three times that many present. Likewise, a fair number of previously committed Reed supporters were at the event, some there to see the opposition and some there with Cagle stickers on.

One Reed supporter said to me, “We use to talk about Ralph all the time. At best now we are silent and observant.

1. Bull Moose says:

Common sense, leadership, and vision are prevailing and people who are looking for more than just empty rhetoric are turning to Casey Cagle as the candidate of choice in the race for Lt. Governor.

I hear Reed had an event in Savannah last week and he only had about 5 or 6 people attend.

2. larry smith says:

Ralph’s position has gotten to the point that he has precisely two options left: get out or go harshly negative. Based on past experience, he will choose the latter. Expect a vicious wave of attack ads paid for with out of state money that will go right for Casey Cagle’s throat. Remember, we’re talking about a guy who managed to get his last LG client successfully sued for slander (a nearly impossible feat in politics today).

The upside is that Ralph doesn’t understand how to attack in a way that works. He will inevitably air ads that are too harsh, unfair, and personal to work … but that won’t stop him from trying. Let’s just hope this election marks the last time we have to sit by and watch him do it.

3. GAWire says:

I thought the idea was to move on from this race. Huh, Erick?!?

Besides, if we use up all of our material now, what will we use in a couple of months?

Ah, who am I kidding? There’s always going to be more than enough material to blast Ralph on!!!

4. larry smith says:

Money from other states, not state money. Ralph’s fundraising in GA is toast, so he’s dialing up rich nuts around the country to raise it in $50k blocks.

5. Jack S says:

Ralph’s through.

Initially, he was the guy who everyone thought would win so a whole bunch of folks jumped on. But now, people are seeing what this guy is really all about.

I don’t know the man. I won’t speak to what his convictions used to be (when he ran the Christian Coalition), but it’s really clear what this guy has been about when he left the Coalition. I have no problem with folks making money. I do have a problem with leaders selling their influence to the highest bidder. Ralph’s a fraud and now he’s radioactive because of it.

If he had any honor, he’d just bow out and do what’s best for our Party.

6. Maurice Atkinson says:

That was a tremendous event. The room was jammed and overflowed to the front of the restaurant (granted it was a small restaurant) but get 70 deep pockets together for lunch….

I was speaking to a Commission Chairman’s wife today. Several wanted to write checks but were politely told they could not take their money.

This is happening all over…. not just Bibb County.