Voter Outrage of the Week

That title was taken directly from Bill Stephens’ new weekly update on voting issues.  From the Stephens campaign …

In an ongoing effort to spotlight the importance of election reform and ballot security in Georgia, I have created a new series of weekly email alerts called the “Voter Outrage of the Week.” Each week, I will highlight a different shocking example of voter fraud and how it relates to our election reform efforts here in Georgia. I hope you find these messages both informative and revealing.

Here is this week’s voter outrage:

Voter Outrage of the Week #1:
151 “discovered” ballots in Chattooga County hand incumbent Senator a win in
1998

In 1998, election “irregularities” surfaced in the State Senate race between Sonny Huggins and Jeff Mullis in rural northwest Georgia. On Election Day, Mullis defeated Huggins, the Democrat incumbent, by 23 votes. However, in the recount a few days later, Democrat election officials in Chattooga County “discovered” 151 previously uncounted ballots. Of these 151 discovered votes, 145 were awarded to Huggins, an amazing 96 percent, almost 30 percentage points better than Huggins did in the rest of Chattooga County! These “found” ballots gave Huggins the election over Mullis.Fortunately, Mullis rebounded from this questionable defeat, won that Senate seat two years later, and still serves in the Senate today. Certainly, tighter Voter I.D. requirements, electronic voting machines outfitted with paper ballot audit systems, and more efficient updating of voter rolls will prevent such abnormalities from contaminating our elections in the future.

While this won’t win the race for Stephens, and really won’t make a big difference to most voters out there; it is perhaps a clever idea, and will keep Stephens in the light on voting/SoS issues.

1. Booray says:

Mr. spades,

Pretty unfair comment. The system may have been replaced, but the motive is still there to cheat. Got to keep working to fix the system.

In addition, it is ironic that the judge who threw out the voter ID law is from the same part of the state where this outrage occurred – you may be missing the point.

Booray Bussey

2. elaine says:

I think most people are aware of the problems in the voter system; that is the current problems. The solution is what we’re wanting to hear. I had the pleasure of meeting Karen Handel this past Saturday and was really impressed with her analysis and plan to fix the problems in the SoS office.

3. Tammi Metzler says:

Swifty, thank you for your very mature message. We’re all a lot more enlightened and I can’t wait until you contribute again. I’m going to go ahead and discount anything anyone says when they call another poster a “retard.”

I actually think this “Voter Outrage” email is a pretty interesting idea. I look forward to some pretty outragous, entertaining examples of fraud throughout our history. And, Spades, I think that’s the point: to keep people interested in what’s going on under the Gold Dome regarding election reform.

4. GAWire says:

Tammi makes a good point here … the idea with these messages might not make any major voter changes out there, but it purely serves to let voters and supporters know that the candidate is doing something and is up on the issues. Right now, Stephens has a lot of momentum and support b/c of his experience in the Senate and votes related to voting issues. This would have been a good move for Handel. Either way, this stuff isn’t going to make a heap of difference on Election Day, but it is interesting, nonetheless.

5. Voter Outrage of the Week #2:
    7,111 brain dead residents of 5 North Georgia counties accidentally allowed to vote in Senate District 51 Republican Primary Runoff in 1998

In a scene that could have come straight from a zombie movie, 7,111 brain dead residents of Georgia somehow cast ballots in a Republican state Senate runoff election resulting in the election of former Democrat Bill Stephens. Stephens is the disgraced ex-press Secretary for Governor Zell Miller.

Stephens’s opponent charged that the candidate was offering $10 to brain dead zombies roaming the streets of Ellijay, Canton, Jasper and Calhoun to register to vote and cast ballots in his race. In an unrelated story, the Stephens campaign was fined by the ethics commission for being unable to account for $71,110 missing from campaign coffers.

6. buzzbrockway says:

It’s a pretty good idea by Stephens to send out an email like this. Ballot security is a concern and the some Democrats are trying to make the absurd claim there is no election fraud in Georgia…not now, not ever.

7. Tammi Metzler says:

Wow, Chris, you really ARE hard-core! As much as I’m sure we all appreciate your amateurish attempt to be ironically humorous, I think you’re shtick above is a tad bit misleading. How old were you when Bill Stephens was elected, anyway? Nine? Whatever. We all know that at the same time Bill Stephens was fined by the Ethics Commission for accounting errors, he was cleared of any wrongdoing. That’s been established numerous times, but good try anyway.

I do think there may be some posters on here that would take offence to your condescending attitude towards the citizens of North Georgia. Calling them ‘zombies’ truly isn’t funny, nor is it cute or clever.

8. Swifty says:

Actually Tammi, I didn’t call Booray a retard. My point was that to do so would be an insult to retards.

I hold a high regard of retards. Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going, really.

9. Oh Tammi, I feel like I just got booed off the stage on Amateur Night at the Apollo Theater. If any North Georgia residents don’t understand that reference, imagine that I just came in last place at the Fiddle Playin’ Contest at the Jasper County fair.

On a more serious note, does anyone see the irony of Stephens and the GOP’s attempts to frighten Georgia voters into losing faith in the elections process. Their #1 example of voter fraud occured with absentee ballots in a North Georgia Senate race.

Thanks to their new Voter ID bill, the requirements put in place to verify the validity of absentee ballots were significantly weakened. So someone explain to me how the elections process in Georgia has been strengthened by Stephens and his cronies.

Tammi, additionally, thank you for pointing out Stephens’ previous ethical lapses. I was making a subtle reference but you’ve really cleared it up for anyone who might not have gotten it the first time 🙂 Finally, I would have been 18 when Stephens first got elected. That makes me the only person in this argument not employed by Bill Stephens campaign.

10. Jackets over Dogs says:

The e-mail the Stephens campaign sent out is the smartest thing a Republican has done since Casey Cagle put his logo on the keys at last year’s convention. This is the type of stuff that fries up primary voters, and turns out the grossroots people. I can’t wait for the Handel people to respond with some lame attempt at copying the voter outrage e-mail.

As for some of the other non-snese that’s been posted above, who let’s zombies vote? Chris will be hardcore when his candidate gets mopped up in July…

11. law303peachtreeroad says:

I just spoke with someone who got an e-mail from the Handel campaign in response to Bill Stephen’s “Voter Outrage” e-mail. They’re apparently starting weekly e-mails about the “Gay Outreach of The Week”. Personally I think they should do one called “Missteps in Fulton County” they have an election cycle worth of material in a week of AJCs.

Let’s hope voters make the right choice: legislative experience over political opportunism, conservative principles over what sells in Atlanta, and pro-active leadership over political opportunism.

~Stephens ’06

12. GAWire says:

“””Let’s hope voters make the right choice: legislative experience over political opportunism”””

Law, so I guess you are supporting Casey Cagle now?

13. Jackets — as a Democrat I have no dawg in any Republican party fights or primaries. When Handel or anyone else does something similar that begs for parody I’ll hit them just as hard. I promise.

14. law303peachtreeroad says:

Wire,

My ticket:
    Perdue
    Reed
    Stephens
    Kemp

Ralph Reed has done more for this party and this state than anyone else involved in politics right now. Bill Stephens is right behind him. He took a hard look at his personal convictions, and the climate of Georgia and became a Republican. Since joining the legislature he has enacted some of the boldest lawmaking measures the state has seen. The hard work he has been doing for the past few years is what allows metro candidates like Karen Handel to think that Republicans are firmly entrenched in Georgia, so people like themselves can run on shaky platforms and poor ideas. She needs to spend some time under The Dome before she runs for a statewide office again.

15. GAWire says:

“””She needs to spend some time under The Dome before she runs for a statewide office …”””

Same could be said for your boy Ralph! “Legislative experience over political opportunism” is strait from the Cagle playbook!!

Goodness, you could easily campaign for your peoples’ opponents with those arguments.

16. Jack S says:

Kudos to Stephens for pointing all this out. I live up there and remember the whole episode vividly. Mullis was robbed. That Democrat Senator and his misfits over in Chattooga belonged in jail for what they did.

And buzz is right, the Dems say there’s no voter fraud all the time becuase they want to cover up their decades of illegal vote buying and fraud. Stephens is pointing out the truth.

Law – your statement about Ralph doing more for GA or the Party is simply ridiculous. Get over it. The guy’s a fraud.

17. Brian from Ellijay says:

LMAO, Good point Wire.

Law is making all the right arguements for Cagle, but the koolaid is impairing is seeing the forest for the trees.

Laws pattern is almost consistant. Former State Senator- Perdue
    Lobbyist Reed
    State Senator Stephens
    State Senator Kemp

What happened Law, seems like you would be inclined to vote the most experience at all times.

18. Bill Simon says:

GAWire, don’t confuse a lawyer with facts or logic…they cannot handle such things very well. Spin! Spin! Spin! That’s all they are comfortable with… 😉

19. Jack, there have been three significant cases of voter fraud in Georgia in the last 20 years where people were convicted and went to jail. One was a Democratic sheriff in Douglas county who later committed suicide.

Another was the case of numerous Dodge County officials, probably Democrats but I’m not sure.

The third is a Gwinnett County elections official who stole votes which appeared to prevent a Democratic state Senator from Gwinnett/Barrow counties winning re-election. The votes were later found and the incumbent was re-elected, the election official (Republican) went to jail.

Pretty even split. But what do all of these cases have in common — that the specifric photo ID requirement at the center of the GOP’s election reform bill fails to address the actual lawbreaking in these cases and areas that are ripe for lawbreaking, like verifying the validity of absentee ballots were specifically ignored and or weakened because by coincidence (I’m sure) those happen to be the illegal election activities that crooked Republicans are good at exploiting.

So I have a hard time taking anyone involved with the voter ID bill seriously when they whine about election fraud, since their bill does not address the fraud that actually happens. If you’re seriously concerned about the election process in Georgia then our election officials are really just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

20. Beth says:

Nothing like the leadership of a State Senator who takes $25k for the Pawn Brokers – who charge 300% interest. There’s a guy you can trust to do the right thing.

21. law303peachtreeroad says:

Hey Brian,

Where is Lamutt now? I’m guessing he’s raising all that money that’s gonna shock Stephens out of this race?

22. Beth says:

I hear Stephens is coming out with a weekly newsletter titled —

“How to use your campaign funded GPS system”

with tips on how to spend more than you raise in an off-year fundraising cycle.

23. Mad Dog says:

I’m still wondering how a voter ID would have prevented “found” ballets?

Or, how it will prevent electronic “found” ballots?