Cecil Staton, Eric Johnson, the GOP and property rights

Last year, we saw Eric Johnson and the Republicans try to gut private property rights and pave the way for secret backroom deals for their chamber buddies.  This year, Cecil Staton has joined in on the act.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s article “GOP bill allows land seizures

1. Hortence says:

This here land taking issue is tricky stuff… Chances are most people don’t understand it fully… There needs to be a balance of using the powers of condemnation to eliminate blight and the protection of private property, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to hand over or abdicate those powers to private developers.

2. HeartofGa says:

Staton claims it was just a mistake. I guess the unconstitutional ID bill was also just a mistake. I’m unimpressed and think maybe electing Staton was the mistake.

3. Rusty says:

Mr. Kahn, re: “secret backroom deals for their chamber buddies”…

Let’s be fair for a second. Name a bigger buddy to the Metro Atlanta Chamber than Roy Barnes. Sonny won’t give them the time of day. “Can’t even get to first base with this guy,” a prominent member was overheard saying.

Now, Barnes was a special case, but if I were a Democrat (I guess I am since I voted for Kerry in the last election), the Chamber folks are exactly who I’d be going after. The business leadership community is much more progressive than Georgians in general are. They can’t afford to discriminate against women or gays like the GOP can because it would deplete their talent pool. All the religious right bullshit is bad for business, and lots of those folks would love (secretly or not) to support Democrats. They could be taken away from the GOP by even half-competent Democrats, were those Democrats reaching out to them instead of bashing them at every turn.

4. It’s one thing to change the flag, which was a moral decision, prevented a huge boycott of the state and also happened to be something most of the moderate Republicans (key word: Republicans) in the chamber of commerce wanted.

It’s quite another to grant every awful wish on the Chamber’s wishlist without batting an eye. I’m not so sure I’d call the chamber progressive — OK, viewed through the very narrow lense of social issues they might be. But they are also the folks that pushed for tort reform, want general malpractice reform, fight against minimum/living wage increases, crave class action “reform.”

We (Democrats) gave business everything they wanted in Georgia for 100 years, and look where it got us. Does Bernie Marcus want to secretly become a Democrat? He’s the perfect example of a moderate businessman who is turned off by the social issues. Sure he’s given Democrats money in the past, and has been a friend to Roy Barnes and others, but he also helped W. raise a million dollars in an election that most Democrats think was much more important to win than any Georgia governor’s race.

I’m all for fostering a competitive and fair environment for Georgia’s large and small businesses to compete in. But the same Chamber of Commerce who requested Athens be split so they could elect another Republican to the state Senate doesn’t need any eminent domain favors from this Democrat.

5. Just to be clear, I’ve got no beef with Bernie Marcus being a Republican. He’s done so much for this city and state that Democrats and Republicans alike can be proud to call him a Georgian regardless of who he votes for — same goes for Arthur Blank.

I was just using him as an example — if he’s not itching to switch to the Democrats then just who in the Chamber of Commerce world actually is?

6. Rusty says:

Come on now Chris, naming names isn’t polite and is a good way to get dooced. My dealings don’t bring me across big fish like the ones you mentioned anyway, so I doubt you’d recognize them. Further, it’s not as if they’d confided in me to say, “We want to vote for Democrats.” It’s just in my work with one Other Georgia chamber, nearly every member was much more liberal across the board on a broad spectrum of issues (not just social) than I would have expected. You’re right that they support issues like tort reform, but that’s much more an economic decision than a moral one. These folks are more interested in building up local economies than they are in a little R or a little D by someone’s name, and issues that speak to those people (like transit-oriented development) can get their support regardless of the party.

7. Bill Simon says:

Bobby, my guess is that legislative counsel wrote that in there and Cecil has no clue as to what bills contain. Which happens to be typical of a LOT of people who are elected to office in this state based on very few qualifications for the office.

8. Melb says:

If legislative council wrote the bill, the legislators tells them in plain speak what the want in the bill so he really doesn’t have an excuse and if he didn’t read his own bill after he drafted it then it is even more his fault.

9. dreaded_scarum says:

In keeping up with the issues on Eminent Domain Use for Redevelopment , it makes no sense for R Senator Jeff Chapman to sign onto a bill that included eminent domain unless it was a mistake . Senator Chapman is the author of SB 86 which LIMITS EM for ecomomic development to expand the tax base and he also introduced , SB 391, if passed by the Senate and the House, would call for a four-month hold on any use of eminent domain for such purposes. He also introduced , SR 652, that would return Georgia’s constitutional language back to its traditional “public use