Another independent candidate for Governor.

According to the Dalton Daily Citizen, Dalton businessman John Dashler has announced his independent candidacy for Governor:

Dashler focused on several key policy areas, first among them, education.

He noted that Georgia spends more per pupil per year than all but one Southern state. But it remains mired at or near the bottom on all measures of educational achievement.

“The official dropout rate is 34 percent. It is understated,

1. DoubleDawg3 says:

I’ve never heard of Mr. Dashler before (compared to D.A. King, whom I have met and would vote for in a second in the upcoming election) – but I wish him luck b/c It’ll be somewhat tough to get the signatures and raise any small amount of money. However, one thing to think about – if he does qualify — Dalton is an area with a large hispanic population (possibly a large illegal immigrant population?) – so this could be an area that would provide some votes for Mr. King …unless Dashler is in and they go for him as the local.

Don’t mistake what I”m suggesting though — no, I don’t believe that Mr. King will win the Governor’s race – but I think he could probably pull enough of the vote to make the parties look at the issue of illegal immigration in GA a little more than they already have (although I don’t expect Ross Perot type numbers by any means)- I mean, before Chip Rogers gave it a shot, who in the GOP was addressing this.

2. dking says:

What if someone paid attention to the 80% [ see recent AJC reported Zogby poll] of Georgia voters who demand action on illegal immigration and was able to take 12 -15pts away from the other candidates [11 so far from Sonny] because ALL of them are cowards who are finaced by the illegal alien lobby/corporate criminals who demand continued access to the blackmarket taxpayer -subsidized labor?…..what if someone simply said we should do all possible in Georgia to help enforce the letter and spirit of existing federal laws?

What if….? dak http://www.thedustininmansociety.org/articles/dak_mdj/art_dak_mdj_2005nov23.html

3. dashler says:

Issues are important. However, single issues are used to divide those of us that truly want the balance of power restored to those that love Georgia more than they love any special interest group, money or power, political party, or government of the few, by the few and for the few! Of course, I’m referring to paycheck earning, taxpaying and entrepreneurial Georgians. Your paychecks fund 90% of the state budget. You should be represented by someone respectful of and has lived many of your circumstances. Come together, support a man dedicated to restoring Georgia as the economic power of the South and as the best place to live, raise a family, work and do business. That will only happen by focusing on solving the major problems that hold us back as a state and as a people. All are addressed in detail on my website. ///// Too much emphasis is placed on money. Yes, we all need it. However, I can fund the first phase of my campaign on a few hundred thousand dollars, or less. Getting on the ballot is the first objective. Getting the message out is the greatest challenge. The www is the great funding equalizer. That is, if politically minded and concerned Georigians use it to the extent of advantage it poses. I urge you to visit my site. Read my announcement speech. I address fear of the word “can’t”. Examine my message. If you generally agree with it, contribute twenty bucks via the Paypal feature. Volunteer to join the email pyramid. Request a couple of nomination petition forms. Collect 30 signatures. Get us on the ballot. Position us to mount a serious second phase and help me remove the “for sale” signs off of the state’s agenda and the governor’s mansion. The power is in the numbers. Become one. Talking won’t get the job done. If you really want to be an agent for some serious political change, you must become a real activist. Get off of the sideline and act. Otherwise, we must be content with what we get. I’ve done, am doing and will continue to do all I can do. Help me. It can be done. John

4. dashler says:

You missed the point. My website clearly articulates my position and research that resulted in the position. You will find it very similar to yours. For the sake of debate and from what I read of your views, let’s say we agree. Illegal is illegal. I will enforce existing laws to the fullest extent and provide law enforcement manpower to get the job done. However, where we may not agree is the approach.

First, we must distinguish the “illegal immigrant” situation from the growing population of Hispanics in Georgia. I am concerned that far too many lump the two together. All are not here illegally. The “herd” nor “mob” mentality should dictate.

Secondly, we must distinguish between that which the federal government should do to equip states with the tools to SOLVE the illegal problem and what we are presently equipped to do. Seal the borders is the action of most impact congress and the President can and should do. (What good does it do us to spend the money and divert resources to round up and toss out 10 to have them replaced with 15?) Give the states full policing powers without tacking on unfunded mandates for federally conducted “training”. Construct detention facilities as federal collection points. Our jails and prisons are bursting at the seams now and there is a need for 6 more state prisons. What good does it do to “shift” costs from education ($7,500/year/child) or government assistance programs ($2,000/year avg cost of 2 million Georgians on them and for which the federal government pays 60% of the cost) to encarceration ($18,500/year/prisoner), which the state bears 100% of the cost. Of course, there are other measures. My point is, let’s not cut off our noses to spite our faces.

Last, you can bet on this one. The federal government is NOT going to equip states with “rounding up” and “tossing out” the existing population of illegals. Period. There will be some sort of guest worker program, conversion from illegal to legal status, etc.

Hanging my hat on that one lends me to say this. Why expend a lot of time, effort and money enacting laws this year that may all be superseded by federal legislation in this session of the US Congress? Waiting one more year simply makes common sense.

Furthermore, 80% of Georgians are concerned and want it solved, not “demanding” action as you state. And, we should be responsive. But, 80% of Georgians didn’t say “solve it now regardless of the cost or without regard to hurting people that don’t deserve to be hurt.” Nor, did 80% of Georgians say we expect 100% of the solutions to come from this session of the state legislature.

I believe most of the 80% of Georgians that said they were concerned and wanted the problem solved want it solved responsibly and completely- feds doing their part and state doing its part. I am 100% willing and able to lead the state’s part and equally capable of communicating my thoughts to our US legislative delegation.

That is all I am going to say about the illegal immigrant problem.

The point of my original comment regarding “single issues” was this. Every election cycle the parties masterfully create one or a few highly charged emotional issues that become THE focus of the campaign. Each issue IS important and each candidate should articulate his position on the issue. However, when we permit the debate to become these few issues, we give a free pass on “issues” that are timeless and have great impact on every Georgians life and future. These are the same issues that affected Georgians 50 years ago, affect them today and will affect them 50 years from now. We have some serious problems that must be solved. And, they will be solved. They can be solved now by choice. Or, we will let them slide another four, eight or more years until we are forced to solve them. Of course, solving them now is the least expensive course of action. And, if it takes 6-8 years to solve them, beginning now solves them in 6-8 years. Every year we delay (or procrastinate), add a year to the solution cycle!

The problems I am referencing are under the umbrellas of education, economic development (job creation), social problems rooted in poverty and governance. I don’t have the time to articulate further today, but will return with some thoughts at a later time.

In the meantime, ALL of those topics are clearly and thoroughly stated (background, research, where we are, how we got here, where we need to go- how 34 inititatives will get us there) on my website- http://www.dashlerforgov.com. Visit it. Become informed.

I think everyone that investigates my site, reads my speeches, and becomes acquainted with who I am, will learn very quickly I am not an indecisive “yada, yada, yada” leader.

Incidentally dking, I have no intention of spending more time engaging in a personal debate with you on this blog. But, will engage you in open and public debate anytime, anywhere on all of the concerns of Georgians. Raise a crowd and you can count on me being there.

I was hopeful you and I would be on the same sheet of music regarding the future direction of Georgia. We have our plates sufficiently full engaging the parties and their candidates.

5. dking says:

Swamped here as well…how about you raise the crowd please sir?

It seems from here that it is you who missed the point.

If we encourage illegal aliens to leave Georgia for more friendly states, we will have at least begun to solve the problem with out “rounding them up”…and BTW we had an amnesty in 1986, with another possibly on the horizon. It is the only action you will get from the feds..and it only sets the counter to zero and encourages more illegal immigration.

Depending on the feds to solve what is an obvious Ga. problem doesn’t seem much like leadership from here in Marietta.

Sorry that you choose not to further discuss illegal immigration.

Nobody buy you put Hispanics, and illegal aliens in the same catagory. well… except the illegal alien lobby.

6. lawrence says:

Sorry to read all the nonsense about Georgia’s trials in education, illegal drug trafficing and financial tragedies for the medical community.
    After spending several weeks on the AZ/Mx border and seeing where the problem, or most of it starts, I believe that I could make some suggestions to help toward solving the proglems.
    Sadly enough, too many Americans are convinced that the problem is located in Washington DC. That includes Mr. Dashler from what he told the media at his introductory speech in Dalton.
    As long as state politicians put the responsibility on the Feds to clean up the illegal alien mess there will be no cleanup. There will be no controlling illegal drugs and gangs as long as there are no controls, or enforcement of the laws that already exist.
    If Mr. Dashler plans to clean up the education crisis, straighten out the illegal drug traffickers and restore health care to Georgia’s citizens he will have to get his head out of the sand, or the clouds and do some serious soul searching.
    Georgia has a serious illegal alien problem that impacts the entire socio-cultural ladder. No one element in our society today has more adverse effect on Georgia, indeed, on the united States of American, than illegal immigration. Until that problem is solved there can be no improvements in the “Health, Education and Welfare of this once peachy state now called the laughing stock east of California.
    Go For It, DA King