New Polling Data on Perdue.

Survey USA has a poll paid for by WXIA-TV in Atlanta and WTLV-TV in Jacksonville. Governor Perdue has a 60% approval rating, up from 55% just one month ago. Perdue has 65% approval amongst Whites (with 29% disapproval), 69% amongst Hispanics (with 25% disapproval) and 48% approval amongst African-Americans (with 42% disapproval). His approval amongst African-Americans improved by 11 points in one month.

Track all results here.

1. Mike Hassinger says:

Buzz-

You’ve got to be looking at more numbers than the link provides -I’m only seeing “all adults.” Where are the black/white/hispanic breakouts?

I’m skeptical of a poll showing 60% approval no matter how much I like the candidate. What’s the sample criteria? Are these “likely voters” or just “all adults who answered the phone,” or “people Buzz knows?”

It would be very important to see if the sample self-identified as conservatives, moderates, or liberals. That way Sonny’s folks could see if they were moving people who were on the fence or possibly NOT inclined to vote for him in the first place. That’s more important than the popularity contest this link shows.

Also, do your numbers track women? My instinct tells me Sonny is very weak among female voters -don’t know why, just a gut feeling. And if I were trying to prove I wasn’t a fluke, I’d be working the biggest voter block in Georgia much harder than Gov. Perdue appears to be doing.

If any of the above appears critical of the Guv or his campaign, it’s not meant that way. I just want better information.

2. buzzbrockway says:

Mike,

When you click on the link, there is a drop down menu on the upper left hand side of the page. That’s where you can find all sorts of data.

BTW, the poll claims Sonny has a 58% approval amongst women, 73% conservatives, 59% moderates, 32% liberals.

On this page way down at the bottom it says this:

600 adults age 18+ in each of the 50 states were interviewed by SurveyUSA 12/9/05 to 12/11/05.

3. GAWire says:

Either way, these numbers are absolutely great for Sonny, and damning for Dems. Still, the situation in 2002 was pretty much the same, only reversed.

4. Everyone, you have to be smoking crack to think Sonny will get more than 15% of the black vote (in this poll his approval is an outrageous 48-42). Similarly, do you think 42% of Democrats will be voting for him (also his approval in this poll). Actually I think the Democrat number is so high because the black approval is so high.

Anyway, if Sonny gets 10% of the black vote (I honestly don’t think he will do much better than this) then he needs to get 64% of the non-black vote. Right now he is getting 65% approval from whites. That’s cutting it pretty close.

Similarly, only 80% of Republicans approve of the job he is doing. That’s much lower than George W. Bush was scoring among self identifying Republicans (who voted for him something like 97% in Georgia). If soft Republicans stay home on election day (which is very possible for 2006 on a national level) Sonny’s “do nothing” strategy may backfire. In the same way that no one will be mad enough at him to vote against, similarly no one will be excited enough about him to turn out.

But I forgot about how we’ll all be saving $7 on our natural gas bills this winter. Nevermind my entire analysis.

5. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Sonny wont top 20% of the black vote. However, he doesnt have to. Great news for the Governor and his hard work for Georgia.

6. Maurice Atkinson says:

I think Sonny is going to surprise a lot of people. I’m tired of hearing that his win was a fluke. Sonny won then the next election we take both houses. That’s not a fluke its a trend. If we don’t put up any SB 5’s this session we’ll be fine.

I work with a lot of Dems. One fellow said to me just the other day that he was voting for Sonny because he had backbone and seems to want to make Georgia a better state. This guy is an articulate African American and a die hard Dem. The fact is Sonny has done a pretty good job at governance. Sure we can pick some things apart, but by and large he has been effective.

7. Melb says:

I think the black vote will be even less year than the national because of the voter ID bill, I doubt many blacks are that die hard for Sonny after that, Maurice I don’t know who you are talking to, but I would be suprised if they were truley a die hard dem, maybe they were joking or maybe you’re full of it.