Governor moves to eliminate Medicaid fraud.

Good move.

Governor Sonny Perdue announced today that he has instructed the Georgia Department of Human Resources (DHR) which administers Medicaid enrollment for the Georgia Department of Community Health to institute a new income verification requirement for applicants to the program. Starting January 1, 2006, applicants for Georgia ‘s Family Medicaid program will have to provide documents such as a W-2 forms, pay stubs, or income tax returns before becoming eligible for benefits. Prior to the Governor’s action Aged, Blind and Disabled Medicaid applicants were required to verify their income eligibility to receive services, but Family Medicaid applicants were not.

“We need to ensure that those receiving these taxpayer-funded services are U.S. and Georgia citizens and that their income makes them eligible,

1. Tommy_a2b says:

This is a good move. On another subject, I was reading a Democrat Blog to see what they are saying. A poster made a good point and I wish we had a posting on this subject. The Dem poster said that they are able to convert Moderate Republicans to Democrats now because the Republican Party no longer stands for Less Taxes and Smaller Government. I have been getting this from a lot of people lately. Can someone tell me what to say to middle of the road voters now days? I am curious to your opinions on this.

2. emily says:

I would be concerned less about what to “say to the middle of the road voters” and be more concerned about the fact that they may be right.

3. Tater Tate says:

The problem is neither party is about less taxes and smaller government right now. But the Republicans can be fixed. The tax and spend dems cannot. They’re never happy unless they are fixing other people’s problems with someone else’s money.

4. Senator Eric Johnson says:

I’ll let others decide if the folks in DC have lost their way, but the GOP majority in Atlanta has cut taxes and reduced government. We’ve also reformed ethics laws, junk lawsuits, budgeting, health care spending, and drawn fair districts.

Now, we are working on private property rights, sexual predators, and illegal immigration.

5. GAWire says:

The basis of fiscal conservative beliefs supported primarily by Republicans is still very much alive. These things are always cyclical – everybody moves to the middle and back out to the extremes.

The media would have you believe that the voter population is becoming more liberal; however, this really isn’ t the case. Perhaps technology and advancements in communications capabilities makes it seem as though the country is becoming more liberal, but research and voting (especially at the local level) really doesn’t show that.

The country is still very conservative, with a majority of people standing for conservative issues, both fiscally and socially … regardless of what MTV, CNN, and sometimes even FOX wants you to think!

6. Chris says:

Senator Johnson,

The issue the GOP faces in Georgia is being tarred by the irresponsible actions of the GOP in Washington. The vast majority of my social and professional peers get their news from national sources (CNN, FoxNews, NY Times, and broadcast news). National news sources focus on Washington and the occasional crisis in a local area. They rarely focus on the mundane things done by a state legislature.

The GOP in Georgia really needs to get out there and tell the folks here in Georgia what you have done. The more specific the better.

7. Silence says:

I agree with Chris, Senator. It’s time to brag. The accomplishments are there, and we all know they are. It’s time to share the good news, to borrow the phrase.

8. GAWire says:

You would probably be surprised to know how many American voters do not care what the national media reports. Despite the fact that cable news viewership is up, more people still get the news that really influences their views from local sources.

Moreover, the heart and soul of the voters do not care what is happening in Washington anyways. They are more concerned with what local leaders are doing, and what is happening in their home state or town. National media reports are just “extra” …

Those of us involved in politics, or involved in happenings at the national level are more the exception.

9. Bull Moose says:

What comes out of the legislative process from Republicans has mostly been good, however, in the process, some bad things get put forward, usually by Republican House Members.

I am all for fiscal discipline, but not if it means balancing the budget on the backs of a future generation. I’m weary of some of the cost shifting tactics that sometimes seem to much like gimicks…

10. Senator Eric Johnson says:

Chris, I am meeting with our congressional delegation and will make sure (like they don’t already:) that they are being viewed negatively by the base back home. However, they are not our problem. It’s the northeastern “moderate” Republicans that couldn’t be elected as Democrats in Georgia that cause so much “compromise”.

The poll numbers above do point out that Georgians can separate Perdue from Bush and they can do the same thing with Georgia’s legislature and Washington’s.

11. Senator Eric Johnson says:

Silence, we try to brag, but can’t speak around Cox Communications. When we crank up the campaign message and can buy the media, we will brag all day (and night). Of course, the timing is waaaaaay to soon. We have to wait until we see the whites of their eyes.

12. Bill Simon says:

Again…I don’t think this is THE Senator Eric Johnson…this person writes far different than anything I’ve ever seen coming out of Senator Johnson’s e-mail communications. And, I have had discussions with him in the past to know firsthand.

Nice try, though.

13. Senator Eric Johnson says:

Bill, I love ya man. How about the cool shirts? Had to fight for the right fabric though, didn’t we?

14. Senator Eric Johnson says:

So you think everybody has a “handle” and want evrybody to be open…and when I come in, you doubt it! I think you are the former Secretary of the Treasury.

I’m off to ALEC and meeting with G7. You can continue to wonder…

15. Ben King says:

If I were an aide or intern or whatever pretending to be a Senator who was the President Pro Tem., I would not write “timing is waaaaaay to soon”. Unless I was cunningly trying to make the Senator whom I was writing as seem ‘hip’ to this ‘blogging’ thing. At which point I might be fired.

I would assume at this point that the posts are coming from his office at the very least, elsewise Erick would have taken it down.

So I ask the honorable Senator from the 1st – Since when was Tom Delay either northeastern or liberal? or Duke Cunningham? Or Pres. Bush, for that matter? (How long until Texas become a “western” state instead of a “southern” state?)

The Senator may have a point since he is referring to the GOP base, of course. I profess no great acuity in that arena. For fun, I’ll just point out that Giuliani, who is both northeastern and liberal, is polling the highest in that latest Strategic Visions poll.

16. Silence says:

True. Last message to be heard stays with the voter until the voting booth. In theory, at least. And Knight Ridder doesn’t help matters either, do they?

17. Bull Moose says:

Do a search — of the Georgia delegation, three have received contributions from Jack Abramoff. I hope none of them took official action as a result of the contributions.

1. Senator Johnny Isakson – $2000
    2. Senator Saxby Chambliss – $1000
    3. Congressman Jack Kingston – $1000

All of them should follow the lead of Senator Jim Talent of Missouri and immediately refund the campaign contributions or donate the funds to charity.

18. Bull Moose says:

Also, in terms of health care, the managed care plan for Georgia’s version of Medicaid, Peachcare, will simply shift the costs and will result in higher long term costs for Georgia’s taxpayers. But guess what, the politicians in office today will look like they attempted to solve a problem.

Doctors will tell you first hand, managed care is not the solution and is just a cost shift.

It takes real courage to address the problem and few elected officials have the political courage to step up to the plate and begin working on this important issue.

Yeah, that’s a challenge… Come up with some ideas that don’t include shifting low income people into deadly HMO’s…

19. Bill Simon says:

Senator…it’s not a matter of “believing Bobby Kahn” on the SB 5 issue.

I distinctly remember Neal Boortz and Savannah Morning News going absolutely ape-sh** over the legislation because its intent was to actually accomplish what happened in the USSC case in Connecticut.

I also remember issuing a Special Alert that announced Senator Don Balfour backing-off of the measure once he listened to Boortz’s analysis often enough to figure out exactly what the legislation would have allowed…and, if passed as written, it would have allowed another Connectticut to happen in Georgia.

Once Balfour broke from the pack, I believe a whole bunch of others started hearing the message from SMN and Boortz.

So, this isn’t an issue of “believing” BK.