1. GAWire says:

I’m sorry, I should clarify …

If I were a RATIONAL Dem, I would most likely want to pay McKinney to endorse my opponent! If I were a typical know-nothing/do-nothing from the Dem Party, I would be just as dumb as McKinney and at that point, would only be looking for other moronic Dems to vote for me.

All Dems aren’t like that, so I wanted to clarify that point!

2. Romegaguy says:

I think it was more interesting that Mayor Ellis of Macon has endorsed Perdue. Erick how does that make you fill?

3. I’d say that Cynthia McKinney’s endorsement of Mark Taylor matters about as much as Al Gore’s endorsement of Howard Dean.

And if you want my honest opinion, I don’t believe that Cynthia McKinney will be seen on the campaign trail with the “Big Guy.”

4. Decaturguy says:

It does give Cox some cover now. If Taylor tries to paint her as “too liberal,” she can respond that McKinney endorsed HIM not her.

5. UGA Wins 2005 says:

I think Cynthia’s endorsement helps Mark in DeKalb County. And the Democratic nomination will be won or lost in DeKalb and Fulton I believe.

If Taylor wins the nomination, once July is gone, then he can be called upon to explain to the rest of GA why he stood with the “cutest little socialist” in America.

6. HeartofGa says:

None of these were news to me. My question is, “how many times can the same endorsement be news?” For months, many of these folks, including Young, have been listed, even on his website, as supporters. Young is interesting, though. He serves as Mark’s campaign chair, yet recently helped sponsor a fundraiser, in Atlanta, for Jack Ellis’ legal defense fund. (Oh, yes, it’s true. I’ve seen the invitation.) And now, Ellis endorses Perdue? The weird world of politics in Georgia….

7. Elliott says:

I’m glad to see that you guys finally put this on the front page. I initially heard about McKinney’s endorsement from Andre’s (great) blog. Then when i went to services this weekend people were talking about it at my synagogue. Cynthia McKinney is clearly the most anti-semitic politician in office today. I can’t see how any campaign would be ok with accepting a nomination from someone who is so openly and unabashedly bigoted. I don’t think the jewish community will take this as lightly as you all seem to be.

8. red clay says:

Heart of GA that was my same response too! His campaign must not have much faith that people actually read his website if they have a press conference to announce it too.

I also agree with Andre and Erick that in terms of identity politics, the McKinney endorsement *seems* like a good idea in the primary. I hear that Taylor has been heavily trying to court jewish donors though. In that case, this pretty much is the quickest way possible to loose their money. A Cynthia McKinney endorsement might at most get you a few votes in DeKalb but will definitely loose any jewish donors you might have had. If people are already talking about this at services, it seems that the jewish community has already taken notice. Word on the street was that there was already some shakiness in Taylor’s finance department, so this just seems like an extra dose of dumbness.

Right on UGA Wins – i also think McKinney=death in the primary

9. Decaturguy says:

Jewish voters were going to vote for Cox anyway. McKinney’s endorsement might get some votes in Dekalb, but not enough to make a big difference. I’ve seen no evidence that McKinney’s “machine” has ever been able to produce votes for anyone other than herself. And I just think that black, particlarly female, voters are going to vote for Cox.

10. Pappy says:

***This is not a McKinney endorsement or defense***

For once I agree with UGAwins!
    Assuming the primary will be won or lost in Dekalb and Fulton, wouldn’t it follow that an endorsement from Dekalb’s congresswoman would make a big, perhaps deciding difference?

DecaturGuy – Do you have any numbers on that(Cox’s Jewish support)? I haven’t heard of a noticeable skew in either candidate’s direction. I know people get really worked up about McK but her endorsement of Taylor doesn’t exactly make him Mussolini or anything. Also, why in god’s creation would you think that black, particularly female, voters are going to go for Cox? Because a black, particulary female, candidate just endorsed the Big Guy?

11. Decaturguy says:

I don’t have any numbers on Jewish voters Pappy, because I’ve never seen a poll – just a gut feeling based on Cox’s higher level of support in suburban metro Atlanta – where most Jews in Georgia live.

Why do I think black, female voters will vote for Cox? Well from polling. In the Zogby poll, female voters preferred Cox over Taylor 40% to 26% (with 33% undecided). Black voters preferred Cox with an even higher margin of 55% to Taylor’s 30% (with 14% undecided).