MARTA and Grady Hospital Funding

The AJC Business Section today has an article about the recent CEO departures at Grady Hospital and MARTA. The author places blame for these departures on the lack of state and regional financial support. I certainly don’t agree with that contention, but the issue does deserve a good look.

This issue seems to boil down to the importance of inner city Atlanta to the metro area and the state as a whole. Grady Hospital and MARTA are arguably most important to residents of inner city Atlanta. If we place a great deal of importance on the prosperity of the inner city, perhaps we should look at increased state funding of these entities. However, just based on my personal observations, companies seem to be locating in the suburbs, rendering these inner city areas less important in terms of financial contributions to the state and region.

Share your thoughts.

1. GAWire says:

The metro area (and the rest of the state) is already paying for the “prosperity of the inner city”. Don’t worry, though … Shirley Franklin is going to makee better … right?

I’m sure somewhere in that article, there was a legitimate point to be made, but I only read it 3 or 4 times, so I couldn’t find it.

2. Decaturguy says:

The point is that the entire region, if not the entire state, relies upon MARTA and Grady, but only Dekalb and Fulton Counties fund it. If you are in an accident and have severe trauma, you’re going to go to Grady. If MARTA did not exist the state would have to pay for additional roads or lanes to get people to where they need to go.

If MARTA and Grady collapse then the statewide health care and transportation network will be severely damaged.

The whole point that Atlanta is going down the tubes is preposterous anyway. Have you seen the sort of large scale investment that is going on in the City of Atlanta today?

3. GAWire says:

The same thing every other liberal, Democrat has “done to me”. C’mon, don’t be naive. My dislike for Shirley Franklin goes hand in hand with my disklike for Ted Kennedy, Max Cleland or Cathy Cox – they are liberal, Dems and I do not agree with their political philosophy, nor do I feel their positions of leadership are used for the benefit of the people they serve(d). In essence, I don’t think Franklin is a good leader; therefore, I don’t support her as Mayor of Atlanta. It has nothing to do with what she has “done” to me; yet in some ways, that is what it is all about.

The reason I have been bashing Franklin a little more lately is 1) the Mayor election was just a couple of weeks ago; and, 2) a lot of folks have been saying that she is a good leader, and I think they are misinformed.

4. GAWire says:

DG, I will agree with your point that Grady is a vital part of the city’s and state’s healthcare system. And, it needs A LOT of work and overall improvements to make it more of an asset. That, of course, requires funding.

Still, I believe this is a bigger and more in depth issue than what the author of the AJC article made it sound. That was a typical lacking article by our beloved AJC.

5. 4ofspades says:

First the loss of Dr. Andy is big. He did a great job trying to get Grady under control. Not sure the same could be said about the head of MARTA. Only two counties Fulton and Dekalb fund both. Decaturguy is correct about Grady serving the entire region. It has one of the best trama centers in the state and possibly the best burn unit.

I believe that GRTA buses from Cobb and Gwinnett feed Marta.

One could argue that it would make sense to change the function of MARTA to heavy rail operations and create a regional tranportation organization that would be responsible for funding and planning of regional transit.

6. Bill Simon says:

Where is good ‘ole Silence Dogwood/Cecil Staton to blog-on about the work that Nat Ford did for MARTA, especially when he hired good ‘ole Linda to be the government relations consultant for MARTA?

Haven’t seen a posting from that boy in quite some time…

7. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Now Atlanta wants millions for street cars. It was only in the mid 60s that street car tracks were ripped up in Atlanta and we couldnt wait to get rid of them.

There is no limit to how government can spend money, given the chance.

MARTA is DOA, get rid of it.

8. I can’t wait for Cherokee and Forsyth to build a public hospital so the uninsured from all over the state can go there for “free” care that only those two counties will pay for.

Similarly, with MARTA, I think it is funny that in the 90’s the Republicans couldn’t wait to take over the state so they could take MARTA away from Fulton and DeKalb. We’re waiting…