Burmeister Called Out

Since it is Thanksgiving and I am sick from all the eating, I will just link over to this AJC story.

Several black state lawmakers Wednesday demanded that state Rep. Sue Burmeister (R-Augusta) resign her House leadership position and apologize for comments attributed to her in a leaked U.S. Department of Justice memo regarding the state’s law requiring voters to show photo identification.

1. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Are there any more ineffective members of the GA General Assembly than these two? If so, it could only be across the hall, in Vincent Fort.

2. Erick says:

Burmeister should probably resign her seat for saying something so stupid. She has singlehandedly discredited a lot of hard work on good legislation and set back Republican inroads in the black community.

3. Hammertime says:

Burmeister may have exaggerated, but we all know that “walking around money” is prevalent in black precincts. We also know that pastors are “encouraged” to endorse folks on election day with “contributions”. Let’s dig deeper into these assertions. let’s hold hearings!

4. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Republicans have to remember a fact of life: there is a double standard in effect between the two political parties. The mainstream media will allow Democrats to get away with far more than Republicans. The least little mis step by the GOP results in banner headlines and a drumbeat of accusations, as we see here.

Its not right and shouldnt be that way, but it is and the Republicans have to live with it. There is no mercy for Republicans.

5. HeartofGa says:

And while we’re at it, let’s hold hearings on the “We Vote Values” campaign, $$ for “faith-based” initiatives and the “I’ll scratch your back, you scratch my back” relationship between the Christian Coalition, fundamentalist churches and the Republican Party. Sure, let’s investigate all of it. Hammer, when you say “we also know that pastors are encouraged to endorse folks on election day with contributions”, you are referring to black pastors, correct? If so, then, like Burmeister, you’re stereotyping.

Burmeister’s remarks, and her representations to the Justice Department (you can get a photo ID in Kroger etc.) were not “the least little misstep.” From a partisan perspective, I hope she stays in leadership. She’s great PR for Democrats. But as Georgian, I beleive that she ought to step aside.

6. Warrior says:

I agree with Hammer. Let’s get it all out on the table. Is there or isn’t there fraud? If so, how is it committed? Who is committing it? I’m not sure the Democrats want to go there. They’d rather have the issue and not the exposure.

7. Harry says:

I guess I must be missing something, as I fail to see what is discriminatory about showing a photo ID to vote. Yesterday I had to show my driver’s license in order to use my debit card. In a close election strange things happen, and I’d like the insurance of knowing that dead folks can’t vote.

8. landman says:

Erick,I agree with your comment 100%,the collatteral damage she has inflicted on this much needed legislation may prove to be irreversable.What a stupid comment to say anywhere much less in public where there are people who will take it and run with it!!!!!!!!!!

9. Bull Moose says:

She should resign her leadership position and I’ll say it again, if I were an elected Member of the GA House or Senate, I would suggest that she is unfit to serve in office.

Her comments were stupid and do not reflect the intent of the legislation at all.

Her comments were as disrespectful to white Georgians as they were to black Georgians. Together we all deserve for the security of the electoral process and for this woman to suggest otherwise through legislation and comments to federal officials is disgraceful.

10. Bill Simon says:

Bull, in case you didn’t learn anything from the David Graves episode, our House members have a secret code of never calling-out when one of the Caucus displays a poor choice of actions.

For that matter, the Demmies are no better.

11. Tater Tate says:

I agree that she should be disciplined and seriously for what she said, but more importantly for the stupidity of saying it.

12. Bill Simon says:

By the way, Tater, why is it you suddenly trust the AJC on what it says about Sue Burmeister, but, when they print something about your idol, Ralph Reed, it’s all “The AJC is Liberal! Boo-hoo-hoo! Wahhhhh……!”

13. Tater Tate says:

I don’t cry Bill, just state the facts. I’ve read the DOJ stuff. The only thing I’ll give her is that her reported comments are not in quotation marks, which might indicate some stretching of her remarks by the person taking them down. I guess it is possible. But it was stupid of her to go down that road at all. I think the photo id requirement is race neutral. Though much of the fraud down here involves the use of blacks, it is rediculous to imply that blacks only vote if their votes are bought.

I suppose one could say that many blacks vote their pocket books, but that is not what she seemed to be saying.

14. Harry says:

Whatever exactly she said or not, they’ll use the opportunity to try and kill what should be simply a measure to build confidence and integrity in the process.

15. Bull Moose says:

She said that black people in her district only vote if they are paid to. That’s pretty darn wrong and racist to say. She should be shown the exit door. And to think, this woman is a leader in the State House of Representatives…