Doraville GM Plant Closing

According to an AP story in today’s AJC, GM will be closing its plant in Doraville in efforts to cut over 30,000 jobs and 9 plants throughout N. America.

The story doesn’t discuss specific consequences that these cuts/closings will have on the local communities, but I am sure there will be more to come.

Will this play any role in next year’s elections? Major cuts of a key economic contributor that has been apart of the Atlanta community for a long time will surely come up at some p0int, but how will this weigh? Will Sonny get the blame or Republicans in general?

1. 4ofspades says:

So you have a major plant closing, plus 2 GA companies getting bought out by non-GA companies in a week. If I were a Dem (which I’m not) I would be trying to make an issue of it.

The reality is that it’s really just part of business….

In answer to your question, it would be really hard to put “blame” on this one.

2. GAWire says:

Spades,

I agree – this is a part of business, and considering the car companies’ pension problems right now, this specific issue will only grow for them.

I also agree that actual and legitimate “blame” will be hard to place on one individual, group, etc . . . what I am trying to think about is how this issue will play in the elections. As we all know, no one really cares who is actually at fault for this (if there is one at fault), but we can all blame each other for this on the political front until the cows (i.e. voters) come home.

To be honest, if I were on the other side of the current administration, I would be issuing releases left and right, stating the Gov is at fault for “losing” all these GA jobs, etc. Of course, that is assuming Booby Kahn and Company have the political skills to do something like that; however, all they can come up with right now is bashing the First Lady and anti-Ralph Reed before the Primary. Come to think of it, a bunch of mostly GOP political hacks discussing politics on PP is probably the best resource the GA Dems have right now.

3. Ben King says:

Very convenient that it’s just “part of business” these days.

I think the GOP needs to look at the questions that arise from using that fippant approach to these types of economic challenges. If the nature of business has changed to the point that the South’s previous advantages aren’t enough any more, what has Sonny done to prepare GA for the future?

If we are just going to have to accept these sorts of things as “part of business”, how are we going to stay ahead of the curve? I think this is where Sonny’s “do nothing” rep is really going to hurt him.

4. Bill Simon says:

Umm….Ben? If you and the rest of the Dems think that GM closing plants and losing jobs can be chalked-up to Sonny Perdue, not only would you folks be classified as being “crazy,” but also totally incompetent to lead.

See, GM doesn’t just sell cars in Georgia. SO, to blame a nationwide depression on GM auto sales on Sonny “doing nothing” as you say, really demonstrates a complete lack of intellectual capacity that, frankly, I thought you didn’t have.

5. Ben King says:

Did you see me blame Sonny? Actually, I pretty much gave y’all the point that there is very little to be done about losing the GM plant.

What I said was that this means that GA needs to find new ways to ‘stay ahead of the curve’ – how to create jobs, to educate people in new practices and industries, to draw different kinds of businesses to Ga. How can we make GA a place that businesses want to come, how can we foster more home-grown businesses in different, newer areas? I think, for example, that the Senate had a very successful study committee on future business opportunities with China a few years ago, which showed some areas where Ga stands to get a head start compared to other states. But the Governor has done nothing with the proposals which came out of the study committee, despite the fact that the committee was entirely bi-partisan (I believe that Sen. Zamarripa and Sen. Mullis co-chaired).

That is the sort of leadership that I think Perdue has been lacking – how do we CREATE new areas for business in Ga., instead of just going “eh, its part of business these days”. How is he helping Ga’s youth prepare for the new economy? The US is woefully behind in producing engineers and in the sciences, but Sonny lets Kathy Cox float that BS evolution thing (and my belief is that Sonny hung Kathy Cox out to dry on that one), and he tries to cut HOPE. Sonny is NOT putting GA in a position to grow in the future to make up for these sorts of losses.

6. macongop says:

As some one that is in the process of being down sized and laid off (Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp.) I know hwat those people will be feeling. I have a few thoughts about blaming politicians. Most of them do not have the forsight to come up with ideas and be proactive when they start seeing the blood flow from the companies that work here in Georgia. Just after Sonny took office in 2002 he proposed raising cigarette taxes by $0.50 per pack. This just after we we the only union in the state to endorse him. It didn’t brake the companies back, but when we merged with RJR 2 years ago, it made it pretty easy to see why the combined headquarters was moved to NC. If Sonny doesn’t start planning on Delta relief, the effects will be much worse than all the other company layoffs combined.