Wooten on Tuesday’s elections.

Jim Wooten at the AJC sees the results of this past Tuesday’s elections as good news for Georgia’s Republicans:

• Good news Tuesday for Gov. Sonny Perdue, who’s up for re-election next year. Voters throughout the land showed themselves generally satisfied with the status quo. Good for incumbents and the party in power.

1. Decaturguy says:

Wooten is pathetic. It would be one thing if he were actually a serious conservative. However, as Stephanie points out, he does nothing but recycle partisan talking points. Conservative AJC readers deserve better than Wooten.

2. Romegaguy says:

So the Virginia race was too close to call until the president came in to help out the day before election and then it was no longer close… some people may want to spin it that it didnt mean anything but I am a little worried

3. I agree with the other commenters. Shirley Franklin and Eva Galambos got elected by historic margins, and somehow that has something to do with Sonny Perdue?

In fact, I’d be a little worried: voters in Virginia, Atlanta and Sandy Springs got behind people who bucked the status quo and did something, even if it was potentially unpopular and in the case of Virginia and Atlanta even if it meant raising taxes (and Sandy Springs will surely join that club soon).

So voters awarded doers at the expense of those who had advocated doing nothing. Sonny seems to have decided that doing nothing will alienate the fewest people and let him get re-elected. Is that how the ’05 results should be interpreted?

4. And, let me point out that Sonny did raise taxes, but to cover a budget shortfall. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine pushed for new funding sources to tackle huge transportation problems in Northern Virginia, and Shirley Franklin had to raise taxes to fix Atlanta’s infrastructure (so that all of us suburban people can drive in and work there). The Virginians and Franklin combined their new spending with a business like restraint for the existing budget. But Perdue has shown very little leadership on either new projects or approaches to Georgia’s problems (not even living up to his weak campaign promise to realign traffic lights) and has also not significantly changed the exisiting budget process. Hence do nothing.

5. Hammertime says:

Can anybody tell me what Perdue has done wrong – Why he should be un-elected? Is he perfect? No. Is he making needed changes? Yes. Is he better than Taylor/Cox/McKinney? Hell yes!

6. Bill Simon says:

Chris…I thought you were one of those Lefties who practices what you preach? Why don’t you become one of those surburbanites who leads by example and takes public transportation to the City? What’s this “…so that all of us suburban people can drive in…” crap?

7. HeartofGa says:

If the GOP “plan” for 2006 is to try to drape Taylor and McKinney around the neck of Cathy Cox…well, if I were a Republican, I’d be more than a little worried. And, what has Perdue done to deserve being “un-elected?” Is that really the best standard we have for who will be our Governor? I think that we want, scratch that, need the best and the brightest, not just the one who has managed to stay quiet enough to not get “un-elected.” The reality here is that the public’s lack of confidence in the President leaves him in a position where he cannot benefit, and appears to hurt, those in his own party. Everyone is on their own, and this is getting mighty interesting. Democrats have had plenty of “bad days” in the last four years. The Republicans had a bad day on the 8th and have actually had a bad few months. Wooten and the rest of the pundits should acknowlede that and move on to the solution. If Republicans learned nothing else from Clinton, they should’ve pick up that denial is the first step out of power.

8. Wow, this room is full of a bunch of leftist/Communists. I can not believe the rhetoric I am hearing. Yall are trying to make the AJC out to be a Conservative paper…Yeah Right. Frankly, Wooten makes good points. Both VA and NJ chose to remain on the same path of liberal tax and spend Communists. But it is noteworthy to point out that VA actually switched quite a few Constitutional seats to Republicans. So wouldn’t it be fair to say that at very least it was a tie, leaning Republican?

It is kinda like the General saying as long as we dont lose ground we win. Well 28-22 is not exactly winning numbers for Dems now are they.

9. Brian is your definition of “quite a few” 1. Because Virginia has only three statewide elected offices – AG, LG, and Governor. Governor remains Democratic and AG remains Republican (pending a recount), the same as it was before. Only the Lt. Governor’s office switched parties, and even that race was within 1%.

What is noteworthy about VA is that Democrats gained seats in the House of Delegates there for the second election in a row. A “conservative” who beat a “RINO” in the primary lost to a Democrat in the general election. So maybe voters in Northern Va are communists but the kind of communists who live in $600,000 houses.

Bill, you will be pleased to learn that I ride my bike to Marta and then to work and back. However, I hit some sort of curb or pothole and it is currently getting a wheel replaced. Sorry to disapoint!

10. Brian, the 28 Republican governors include a slew of lame ducks who’ve lost all credibility within their own party, like Arnold, Pataki, Taft and Owens. In addition, it includes quite a few with big targets on their backs like Ehrlich and Mitt Romney. Democrats could have pretty easily picked up 5 or more governorships even before the GOP’s big time troubles began recently.

11. Maurice Atkinson says:

HeartofGa,,, “””””””The reality here is that the public’s lack of confidence in the President leaves him in a position where he cannot benefit, and appears to hurt, those in his own party. Everyone is on their own, and this is getting mighty interesting.”””””

There is substance in this comment. In fact, there has been a lack of confidence for quite some time. Conservative Republicans supported through the election, knowing that the alternative would not be accomodating. No one that I know of dislikes the President because of his leadership or persona. Many are displeased with his policies.

I, frankly, am tired of the massive spending. The concept most conservatives embrace is less spending, limited government and tax cuts or tax overhaul. He’s only delivered on the third. Which to me is irresponsible. The leadership in congress have no backbone when it comes to fiscal restraint, and it is disheartening to see the Executive branch proposing the same.

I think there is something to gridlock. Look what happened in 1994. Clinton had just come off a year of raising taxes to record levels, proposed massive spending programs, attempted to socialize healthcare etc. The Republican revolution put an end to it. Seems it was only temporary.

12. Chris, I did not look to see how many Constitutional Offices there were, hence my comment “quite a few.” I knew the result from those three offices.

But to respectfully refute your point on the State House, Quite frankly, the state legislatures, like congress, very rarely reflect the Executives. If you think about it, 2002 was the first cycle in a long time that the party in the Exec Branch kept the majority or even increased it. The same happens at the state level. People get bored, me personally, I dislike Incumbents. I would prefer a system where term limits were imposed, maybe 2 terms for US Senate and 4 or 5 for the House.

13. Karla Stuckey says:

Two thoughts–

Jim Wooten is about the only reason I check the AJC website from time to time. Thank God for one sain voice in the midst of that see of socialism.

And to Maurice and others, you are right that the Repubs in Washington and Atlanta are out of control. In Georgia, for example, the Republicans passed a budget that included 900 million more in spendind that the previous year.

How about a freeze on spending and if there is excess tax revenue, send it back to the tax payers. Government cannot fix every social ill with someone else’s money. I’m tired of that one too and it may be my most serious criticism with the current Republican administration in DC and Atlanta.

I agree they need to start acting like Republicans and reduce the size of government and give back some taxes to the minority of citizens who pay the lion’s share.

14. Well, Karla, if you believe that, I am sure you will join with me in supporting Casey Cagle “a man above reproach, not of the Washington Tax and Spend crowd, and a true conservative who has never voted for a tax increase.”