AJC on McGuire

It’s official.

Former state Sen. Perry McGuire pulled out of a crowded GOP race for secretary of state Wednesday — and repackaged himself as a candidate for attorney general.

McGuire, a Douglasville native and corporate attorney, said illegal immigration and public corruption would be among his top issues. McGuire spoke of enlisting local police and local jails in the effort to halt the flow of Mexican workers.

“Georgia will become a very uncomfortable place for illegal aliens,” he said.

McGuire, a legislator from 1993 to 1997 who has an established base among conservative Christian voters, promised that, for criminals, “my office will be the very hand of God.”

1. ConservativeFire says:

Perry is going to be a great candidate. It is about time we have a good candidate up for this office. Go get ’em Perry!!!

2. Melb says:

This makes me sick. Enlisting local police agains MEXICANS — that is a stereotype, hispanics are not all from Mexico!!! Other than the fact that it would completely crowd the jails, it is unrealistic. After these comments I believe Perry McGuire is an idiot. I’m glad he basically a nobody for a statewide race and doesn’t have a chance in hell, and I barely new about him and I live in Douglasville.

3. macongop says:

Save the “my office will be the very hand of god!” WTF!!! Is he running for AG or the pulpit? Do not mix God and being a represenative of the people in the same event. If he plans on enforcing the law to the full extent, great, but don’t preach from office.

4. Silence says:

No, not all Hispanics, only 98.7% of them 😀 MaconGOP — separate religion and government. I dare you.

5. Romegaguy says:

I’m hearing rumors that another statewide candidate is being pressured to not run for the office he is having trouble raising money for but to instead move over to another statewide race (labor commissioner) with promises that manna will rain down from the sky. Anybody else hearing this one?

6. Karla Stuckey says:

There’s no need to waste so much money in these primaries. Perry has done the right thing and will get full support.

Stephens will win without any questions now.

Kemp would have an easier time in the LC race and get full support. As much as I like Kemp, Black does have a lot of support in the ag community.

Sounds like some good decisions are being made by and for all.

7. Bill Simon says:

Rome…remember, the only rumors that usually turn out to be true are the ones reported by The Political Vine.

That one you’re hearing about is from the Gary Black/Scott Rials end of the Republican Clan, and, therefore, is likely 100% donkey crap.

I am so looking forward to January when the “rumors” about who is raising money and who isn’t stops cold and the truth shoves a big fat yam into the mouths of those who spend their time yammering about things they don’t have a clue about.

8. Jack S says:

As for Rome’s attempt at creating a rumor, just another delusional rant by a campaign that’s withering up and dying.

9. ConservativeFire says:

Rome, we all know that Kemp is the best candidate in the state and we would love to have him in every state, and we know that the Rep Party has failed and been ineffective in recruiting good candidates for state offices like labor.

Rome I know that you would like for Kemp to get out so your goofy candidate would stand a chance. I hear Irvin would like that too.

Rome, try some facts sometime.

10. Maurice Atkinson says:

macongop,,, read the whole content…. “””But let me say this: To those who breach the trust of this state, to those who prey on our elderly with insurance and investment scams, to you who steal identities, who murder, rape, or abuse our children, for you my office will be the very hand of God. You cannot hide, you will not be coddled, and you will not escape justice.”””

Seems to me it is quite appropriate.

It amazes me that we try to lob a brick, sling mud and try to minimize the effectiveness of any candidate that steps forward. The fact is, Perry is a very thoughtful hardworking person. Read the content http://www.perrymcguire.com/journal.phtml

Don’t imagine these endorsements are from losers…

Perry McGuire for Attorney General: Early Endorsements

Truett Cathy, Founder and CEO, Chick-fil-A, Inc
    Tim Echols, President, TeenPact
    Honorable Clint Day, former State Senator
    Oscar Persons, Partner, Alston and Bird
    George McKerrow, Founder, Longhorn Steaks, Co-founder, Ted’s Montana Grill
    Andy Stanley, Senior Pastor, North Point Community Church
    Karen Bremer, President, Great Hospitality, Inc.
    Ron Blue, President, Christian Financial Professionals Network
    Phil Hickey, Chairman and CEO, RARE Hospitality
    Gary Miller, President, Greystone Power Company
    Dr. Bruce Stein, Founder, Atlanta Urology Associates
    Jack Williams, President, Kairos Development Corp.
    Joe Fowler, Partner, Hartley, Rowe & Fowler
    Alan and Jennifer DeNyse, Founders, DeNyse Signs
    Ken Bernard, Partner, Sherrod & Bernard
    Bill Thornton, Founder, Thornton Chevrolet
    Bob Pope, Pope Capitol Ventures
    Robert Highsmith, Holland & Knight, who will serve as legal counsel to the campaign

U.S. Congress:

U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston (R-1st)
    U.S. Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-11th)
    U.S. Rep. Lynn Westmoreland (R-8th)

State Senate:

Senate President Pro Temp Eric Johnson
    Sen. Mitch Seabaugh (R-Sharpsburg), Majority Whip
    Sen. Don Balfour (R-Snellville), Chairman, Rules Committee
    Sen. Bill Hamrick (R-Carrollton), Chairman, Banking & Financial Institutions Committee
    Sen. David Shafer (R-Duluth), Chairman, Science & Technology
    Sen. Chip Pearson (R-Dawsonville)
    Sen. Ronnie Chance (R-Tyrone)
    Sen. Judson Hill (R-Marietta)
    Sen. John Douglas (R-Covington)

State House of Representatives:

Rep. Bill Hembree (R-Douglasville), Chairman, Higher Education
    Rep. Clay Cox (R-Lilburn)
    Rep. Billy Horne (R-Newnan)
    Rep. John Lunsford (R-McDonough)
    Rep. Steve Davis (R-McDonough)

11. Chris says:

Maurice: Thanks for pulling up the full quote. The line creeped me out a great deal, then I decided – its the AJC – I bet it was taken out of context.

12. Romegaguy says:

Conservativ e Fire I would actually prefer that Kemp stay in the Ag race just to watch you folks eat crowe after he gets the bejezus beat out of him in the primary but that is just me.

Bill I agree that it will be good to see the disclosures in January.

13. Cotton Boll says:

The agriculture community has been pouring money into the campaign for Gary Black. He is the only one who can beat Tommy Irvin. Romega is right, the funding reports will tell the story and it won’t have a happy ending for Kemp from what I see and hear in the fields.Maybe that Labor job would work for him.