Cynthia & Tupac.

Jen Brock at Blog for Democracy brings to our attention another fine piece of work by Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, the Tupac Amaru Shakur Records Collection Act of 2005:

Jen says:

Seriously? Does McKinney think the government assasinated(sic) 2Pac? Or perhaps she wants to get to the bottom of the persistent “2Pac faked his own death!” rumor. After all, the guy has been releasing albums pretty consistently since his death in 1996. The resolution also requires that part of the records be housed at the newly opened Tupac Amaru Shakur Center for the Arts in Stone Mountain, so at least she’s bringing home the bacon.

The obvious question is why is McKinney sponsoring such a resolution, but I also wonder why Stone Mountian has an arts center named in honor of Tupac? Perhaps it is because of this incident? (from Wikipedia)

In October 1993, Shakur came upon two off-duty police officers whom he perceived as harassing a black motorist on the side of the road in Atlanta. Shakur got into a fight with them and shot both officers (one in the leg, one in the buttocks). He faced serious charges until it was discovered that both officers were intoxicated during the incident and were using weapons stolen out of an evidence locker. The charges against Shakur were dismissed.

1. rickday says:

So which part is it you have issues with, Buzz? TuPac, Cynthia, Black music, the fact 2Pac was the Black Elvis? Because of one incident with some very bad men who happened to be cops, 2PAc was a thug? Or is it all this ‘blackness’ of the issue that leaves you a puzzled outsider.

Relax. We whiteys are not expected to understand everything. We ain’t God, ya know. Is this really hurting you or me?

2. Romegaguy says:

I believe the reason that the 2pac place is in Stone Mountain is because that is where his mother lives

3. buzzbrockway says:

rickday when did I call Tupac a thug? I just wondered why a building was named after him and why McKinney would devote time to this. If Romegaguy is correct that would provide some rationale….I suppose.

4. GAWire says:

I truly wish everyone could see how hard this post is making me laugh! Of course, I don’t know what’s funnier – Cynthia McKinney’s lack of sanity (more scary than funny), an “arts center” in honor of Tupac (seriously can’t stop laughing), or Rickday talking about tupac being the black elvis and “Whitey’s”.

If Buzz didn’t call tupac a thug, then I would like to be the first to refer to him that way.

This seriously made my day – I needed a good laugh.

One serious question, though – taxpayers’ dollars didn’t go towards this, right?

5. GAWire says:

Oh, no, Ben . . . that was just tupac’s way of showing his artistic expression – I’m sure typical of the kind of thing we can expect from his new “arts center” in Stone Mountain. Surely, there is at least one crack house in the area that would qualify perfectly for that, so we don’t have to spend money, time and resources on McKinney’s project.

6. Silence says:

I just finally read this thread…I have to admit, the thought of those cops getting shot, one in the a**, makes me call to mind Bad Boys II, when Will Smith plugs Martin Lawrence’s tail in order to get the bad guy on the other side…hilarious.