Open Thread

As I head off to Washington to start the new job, let’s have this open thread. Here are a few topics worth noting:

• Eric Johnson has taken on the Westboro Baptist Church and its “pastor” Fred Phelps for protesting at a soldier’s funeral with signs saying “Thank God for the IED.”
  • Multiple sources are telling Peach Pundit that Ralph Reed is still raising lots of money and has fairly competently implemented his grassroots structure across the state.
  • The legislature is expected to take up Jerry Keen’s tax plan to fund education with a sales tax instead of the property tax.

Discuss those and others in the comments.

1. macongop says:

Even if you don’t agree with the policies set out by the Commander in Chief, you never disrespect the Men and Women of the Armed Services. They are the ones that are defending the rights of everybody here in the USA and made the ultimate sacrifice. I’d like to find out some more about this story. If true, I hope ever Vet. that is a member of that church stops going there.

2. UGA Wins 2005 says:

It is true that Westboro “Baptist” Church members travel the country to defile and disrupt soldier funerals. They are the lowest of all vermin and make a mockery out of free speach and free assembly.

Here is a link to their announcement to picket a military funeral on Monday in Madison Wisc:

Read it and wonder how humans can be so filled with hate. It goes beyond amazing.

3. Melb says:

These people are crazy. What do they think they are going to accomplish? They disgrace our nation, themselves, and our soldiers. I just wonder how they find support? How can people really hate gays that much?

4. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Bill,

Thats the most disgusting comment I have ever seen here. How could you compare any Georgia official, even the most extreme left or right with the trash as Westboro? I think you owe Senator Schaefer an apology.

5. stephaniemills21 says:

No, Sen. Shaefer is an abomination. She sent out an email this year blaming Katrina on a gay pride event in New Orleans. Now while she does not reach the levels of Phelps, she is definitely kin to the Westboro crowd.

6. And she was big time against the lottery/Hope Scholarship also but about to meet his maker Zell endorsed her last year. What a crazy guy. He even wrote her some letter saying he sees how wrong he used to be and wonders if she and her group could ever forgive him. What a nut.

7. UGA Wins 2005 says:

Nancy Shaefer is a fine lady who in no way, shape or form reaches the depths of this Westboro crowd. I would think that you who say she does are guilty of overstatement in the extreme.

8. stephaniemills21 says:

Yes, a fine lady who believes that God brought down a hurricane to destroy a city because gays were coming. Yes. A fine fine lady.

9. Decaturguy says:

Nancy Schaefer is definately kin to the Westboro/Fred Phelps crowd and I don’t say that lightly. I know that is a serious charge and I’m not one to go around saying things like that about people. However, in her case, I truly believe it.

She blamed the destruction of Hurricaine Katrina on (1) the U.S. support of Israel’s pullout from Gaza and (2) on gay people in New Orleans. Too bad for those people in Pascagoula, huh?

Also, in her commentary as President of “Family Concerns” she expressed her opposition to women in the military, supported a 5 year moratorium on any immigration (not just illegal immigration), said that school desegregation was a “miserable failure,” and believes that “Halloween has become a frightening, murderous, satanic day around the world” and “should be avoided.”

She is a crackpot and needs to be defeated.

10. GaInsight says:

Before I take this opportunity to lash out at certain contributors on this thread, let me begin by saying that I do not agree in whole with Senator Schafer’s opinion on all issues. I, for one, think it is foolish to openly condemn Halloween, or blame a hurricane largely on the moral state of a particular demographic of people. I do, however, find myself appalled at the contributors on here who would so openly and viciously attack a sitting state Senator. I am not, however, surprised at the lack of tact, lack of eloquence, or lack of reason shown in these posts.

While I do disagree with Senator Schaefer on her stance on certain social issues, I do admire her willingness to speak out about it, and the courage and boldness it takes, when she must have known the ostracizing she’d experience as a result of it. This is, unfortunately, more than what I can say for certain assholes like Bill Simon, who haven’t the ability, talent, or charisma to become anything more than than a jealous blogger without a real job, much like his cousin George Anderson, ambulance chasers, crooked car salesmen, and the paparazzi.

Senator Nancy Schaefer, while admittedly a political neophyte, who may not last long in the shark pool of our General Assembly, at least had something that none of you have: the ability to run for a public office and win. She also has had the tact, push, class, to become one of the most liked members of the Republican Caucus.

The thing that amazes me is that ya’ll are ranting and raving about her denouncing and attacking the gays, you, yourself, are doing the exact same thing you’re attacking HER for. I don’t know whether to shake with anger or laughter. It’s simply amazing. It’s kinda like these retarded quacks that are anti – war and anti – violence. They’re just fine demonstrating against war until you go up to them and pop them a good one in the jaw, or try to rape their mother or sister. “Mommy, please make my little b—tch – a– sister stop cursing at me…

11. Bill Simon says:

Ooohh..”a sitting state senator”…okay everybody, treat all “sitting” state senator and reps as hallowed ground because they deserve our respect and awe, regardless of what they do or say while in their exalted, elected positions.

Nancy Shaefer is a “political neophyte?” Really? I guess the fact that she ran for statewide office in 1996 and has been around Georgia politics for close to 10 years makes her a “neophyte”…right-o!

GaInsight, it’s good that you blog anonymously…’cause you don’t know jack about which you speak, and I would certainly be as embarrassed as you must feel after that obtuse post of yours.

12. Ben King says:

>They’re just fine demonstrating against war until you go up to them and pop them a good one in the jaw, or try to rape their mother or sister. “Mommy, please make my little b—tch – a– sister stop cursing at me…

13. GaInsight says:

Ben — My point was simply this. since you seem to have completely missed it: anti – war quacks are only anti – war until you turn their own logic against them.

A liberal attacking a conservative senator for attacking liberals only make sense until you realize it’s a vicious circle. Boo hoo, Howard Dean called conservatives and Christians a bunch of quacks and crazies, he’s a nutjob, get him out of there.

Bill, I called her a neophyte only because she seems not to have won in 1996, and she seemed awful open with beliefs that any seasoned political candidate would have kept close at hand. What’s this? First you’re trashing her, then you’re trying to convince me that she’s a seasoned veteran of Georgia politics? Which is it?

14. Bill Simon says:

For those of you who do not know what “WTF?” means, it is short form for What The Frank Is Going On Here!?, a colloquialism native to people from New York when they refer to a frankfurter not up to their usual Coney Island standards.

:::hat tip to Ben King:::

😉

15. GaInsight says:

And oh, boo hoo, my manners all of a sudden offend folks on here. Since when did manners make any difference about what a person says on this forum?

16. Bill Simon says:

I don’t think Ben King IS a Democrat, Ga…and, even if he was, that wasn’t the point of my response. The point was to inject levity into the discussion…I see that is lost on a psychopath such as yourself.

17. stephaniemills21 says:

Insight, Get A Grip. Also, using your logic, you have to respect Phelps and his crowd for “speak[ing] out” even when they knew they would be ostracized for it!?!?! Come on. Taking people to task for what they stand for is what politics is all about. Can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I sure bet you did not have a problem with Perdue’s Rat video. It is only when one of your own is attacked do you have a problem?

Now, I rarely agree with Bill, but you have to give him credit for being an equal opportunity [email protected]@hole. He will take someone to task no matter thier political affiliation. Attacking him for not having a real job? Now, i do not know what he does for a living or anything else about him (other than being a bitter old man), but I would not attack someone for being a blogger (or newsletter editor) as the proprietor of this blog is now a full time blogger.

18. Ben King says:

Bill, sorry, I am a Democrat. I like to consider myself a moderate one, but then again you don’t really make a distinction there 😉 Hooray for levity, however. sorely needed.

GaInsight – sorry I seem to have missed your point. Maybe you could have said it better?

And as far as manners… I’d say that maybe 50% of the people on this forum are actually interested in what gets said here. I for one enjoy this forum because there actually is some cross-party dialogue here. This is one of the few places I’ve found online that you can actually have some resemblence of a debate about politics in general, not just Ga. politics. Its not always at too high a standard, but you actually get the various sides talking about the issues.

Why does manners matter? I’m all for making your point, and occasionally making it enthusiastically. I personally don’t have a problem with cursing. However, I think the more outlandish my behavior gets, the less anyone is going to read what I have to say, or take it seriously. Manners matter because without some manners then no one wants to read the forum. Its about self-policing, because I think most of us want to keep the atmosphere here fairly open.

And actually, I have no problem with what you said. Keep on saying it. I wrote that it should be left there because some people have been barred for saying stuff maybe similar (I actually didn’t get to read what got taken down). I think stuff like that says a lot about whoever wrote it, and should be left for people to see. I think that is the best form of censorship, at least in places like this.

19. Bill Simon says:

Ben, I have read your stuff before and since I didn’t recognize it as that of a stark-raving lunatic of a liberal Democrat (like, for example, Chrisishardcore), I didn’t pay that much attention to the possibility that you were a Dem.

And, not to change the subject, but speaking of Dems, where the heck is y’all’s state party leader? He seems to have faded-off the board…

20. Bill actually the Democrats are too conservative for me now. I think I will just declare myself as a communist once we gather enough signatures to register as a political party in Georgia.

21. Romegaguy says:

Chris the communist party would probably have greater success in this state then the currently lead Democratic Party of Georgia.

Was it 1994 that Schaefer ran for Fulton County Commission Chair? There was a T-shirt sold in Atlanta with her likeness on it with the caption “Big Hair Doesnt Mean Big Brains”
    God I wish I had one of those

22. zra says:

Fire begets fire. Fred Phelps hates everyone who does not hate homosexuals to the sick extent that he does. And I can’t help but despise Fred Phelps.