Bill Stephens and Gary Black

These two gentlemen spoke this morning at the Gwinnett GOP breakfast in Lawrenceville. This was my first exposure to Gary Black and knowing the passions evoked by that race I’ll comment carefully. 🙂

Bill Stephens spent most of his time talking about the photo ID bill and his defense of it in recent weeks. Clearly the rank and file of the GOP support this idea and Stephens should benefit from that. He also mentioned numerous times that he is more conservative than the other candidates. One can only assume he’s referring to Karen Handel, which could foreshadow the battle lines over which this race will be fought.

As I mentioned above, I had never heard from Gary Black before and I know very little about Brian Kemp so I’ll decide my vote after I’ve had a chance to compare the two. Black’s talk of modernizing the Ag. Dept. is of course a good idea, and I suppose all candidates are for it, but he mentioned specifically using technology to improve licence renewal procedures and using online training resources for continuing education requirements where necessary. He spent time talking about security of Georgia’s food supply and wanted the Ag. Commission to have a closer relationship with Homeland Security. Perhaps that’s a good idea but I’ll need to hear more.

Since Black mentioned it first, I’ll assume it’s his top issue in his campaign, and that is the use of alternative fuels. He boasted that his truck uses diesel fuel mixed with chicken fat (a pleasant subject to discuss while woofing down scrambled eggs and bacon) and wants to make Georgia a leader in alternative fuels. He mentioned ethanol only briefly in response to a question but seemed more interested in using chicken fat and other stuff like vegetable oil mixed with gas and diesel. People are certainly interested while gas prices are so high, but I wonder about the feasibility of such approaches when applied to the mass market.

Even though the GOP primaries are months away, the candidates are out there, working hard. Campaign season sure does last a long, long time.

1. Capt. says:

Hillary Clinton is trying to play the same game as gary black. She is a liberal democrat trying to drift to the right in her speeches and views but her actions and votes prove that she is a liberal democrat.

Gary Black is no different. he is a liberal democrat. he has been for years and is now trying to be a republican–it is a lie. It is an oppotunistic ploy. Gary voted in the 2004 DEMOCRAT PRESIDENTIAl PREFERENCE PRIMARY!! He should not even be allowed in the doors of a GOP meeting after the hard work we have gone through to elect a conservative republican majority.

Even worse gary black is a special interest lobbyist and what makes him worse than ralph reed is the fact that he ran in democrat circles for 13 years–with people like tom murphy and rpy barnes.

Gary Black is a fake and an intruder. He cannot win.

To true Republican victory!!!!

2. waterboy says:

Capt….your cries of liberal are so off target you can never be taken seriosly. Gary Black has been promoting and demonstrating the use of biodiesel since the very first day of his campaign. He is the one that has launched this focus and Tommy Irvin is now scrabling to play catch up. Gary was quoted as saying, “We need leadership and vision to solve tomorrow’s problems, not someone who follows the wind,

3. Ben King says:

I don’t mean that in a good or bad sense, or that it invalidates his post. I’m just saying, that is a very hearty endorsement, and I didn’t even realize that gary black had a website.

4. Tommy_a2b says:

I am trying to figure out what support for bio-diesel has to do with liberal or conservative. I am also conserned about Gary Black’s long history with the Dem’s. I also do not understand how adding chicken fat at 15% of volume will help us with our foreign oil dependence. I would like to see an Ag. candidate push the idea of ethenol which can be 90% “black oil” free. Does anyone have any follow up on why many Republican Leaders are supporting a “RINO” or any evidence he is not a “RINO.”

5. Cotton Boll says:

Interesting fact that Brian Kemp voted in at least TWO DEMOCRATIC PRIMARIES – maybe even more. I first heard about it during the ag expo in Moultrie and others have confirmed it. Many Republicans voted on the Dem ticket in the Pres. Preference Primary, but not in the regular primary. Sounds like Kemp supporters should come clean.

As for biofuel, I wish I could get it in my area. Sounds like Gary Black is leading the charge and Irvin is being left in his dust.

6. ConservativeFire says:

Cotton Boll, you’re way off base.

I know a lot of Republicans who have voted in a local Democrat primary
    because they live in an area where all the local races are decided in the
    Democrat primary. I did that a few years ago to vote in a local sheriff
    race since there were no Republicans running and frankly I cared more about
    the sheriff’s race than some of the statewide races going on in the GOP
    primary.

That’s a practical reality in the many areas around the state, especially
    rural areas, where there are few local gop candidates and races.

But who in their right mind votes in a primary made up of only Dem
    candidates for President? No self respecting conservative Republican would
    do that. Your logic is ridiculous.

I don’t know if Kemp voted in a local Democrat primary or not, but I do know
    he’s from Athens which is a rock solid Democrat area. My son is at UGA and
    I can tell you that there are no locally elected Republicans in Clarke
    County except for Kemp whose district covers a lot of territory outside
    Clarke. If he voted in a local Dem primary it’s likely because that was the
    only choice he had for his local offices. I’ve yet to hear anybody accuse
    Kemp of voting for John Kerry like Gary clearly did.

7. Jack S says:

Look folks, this aint hard to figure out.

Gary Black was a registered lobbyist for the Agribusiness Council for years- as in years before Republicans took over.

He voted in the 2004 Democratic Presidential Preference Primary.

None of these facts are contested by Gary’s staffers who are on this site.

He darn sure wasn’t standing up to Tom Murphy. He was taking him out to dinner. He gained some favor with some incumbent GOP congressmen and others because he started kissing up to Republicans when we started winning – like a good ol lobbyist should.

Inbreeding in politics is nothing new. But worse, it seems clear that his candidacy is the brainchild of the geniuses over there at the State Party who can’t get a candidate for Attorney General or Labor Commissioner and thought a lobbyist would be a great idea to run against Tommy Irvin. I honestly don’t know how these people tie their shoes in the morning.

Fortunately we have primaries that can stop this kind of foolishness. GOPvoters across this state are not going to elect a lobbyist to anything,especially one who voted Democrat for President and talks about obscure, nerdy issues like chicken fat in fuel.

If a Dem lobbyist like Gary Black wins a GOP primary for anything, I will be staying home next November. It will definitely be time for a change again.But this time we’ll need to get rid of the Republicans.

8. waterboy says:

Good comments Cotton. Kemp boys are scramblin’ now…trying to spin the fact that their guy has been helping the Dems at home!!!! This is too funny!

Gary Black was a leading force in Georgia for the Bush/Cheney Farm Team. South Georgia folks are the proof. He was an advocate for President Bush just like he has been for agriculture. Gary is the only Republican candidate that has the credentials to win this race and defeat Tommy Irvin.

9. Speaking of voting in the Dem primary, Carl Rogers endorsed John Edwards (if memory serves me correctly) and voted in the Dem primary and then switched parties less than 2 months later. Talk about putting your finger into the air to see which way the wind is blowing.

If the GOP wants to make voting in the Democratic primary an issue, I suggest they start at the top of their ticket and then work out the down ballot issues after that is resolved 🙂

10. Ben King says:

I was gonna say, if the GOP wanted to purge former Democrats from the ranks, I’m not gonna stop ’em. Chris, do you have any numbers on elected republicans who once served as Democrats? I’m not talking ‘voted in a primary’, I’m talking party-switchers over the years, not just recent.

11. landman says:

Good call Jack,the Party leaders should publicly apologize to the loyal Republicans for promoting a Democrat in our Primary.The good news is that while the Party leaders have their head stuck in the sand or other places,the Republicans across the state are not buying it.

Kemp will be our next AC,the primary will be won by 15-20 percent ,it will not be close.Then there needs to be some questions answered by the leadership of the Party!!!

12. Romegaguy says:

I agree with landman that it wont be close but not in the direction he thinks…

And after all these months of blasting Gary because he voted once in a Democratic primary to learn that Kemp has voted SEVERAL times as a democrat has made my day. You would think Kemp would have known about his own voting record before pointing fingers at others. You would think he campaign staff would have known, too. But when you have no other ideas to talk about or platform to run on, all you have left is to attack someone.

13. Capt. says:

Oh yeah wayerboy gary really has the credentials to beat tommy…he has been a special interest lobbyist and tommy irvin will stand up and say he has been advocating for farmers and consumers and point to hillary…i mean gary and say he has been nothing but a special interest lobbyist for big agribusinesses and has worked against consumers and farmers.

Gary is just like all the other incompetent preschoolers that run the republican party–it is amazing that you actually believe these guys can be taken seriously.

14. Billings says:

Alright guys, this is enough. It appears that one of Gary’s staffers or maybe his consultant are at work for him because that is all he has to advocate for him. I know that you guys will come back that Gary has a lot of supporters and a list and all of that endless BS so don’t bother. We have heard it.

Kemp will win. Kemp has a three year voting record in the STATE SENATE that proves to me that he is a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN unlike Gary and all of his supporters. Gary has so many Democrat supporters he needs to be running against Irvin in the primary.

Many say that Gary is a farmer and has worked with cows or whatever. He is no more of a farmer than I am (and i am far from it). He may have some animals on some property like but he is no farmer. He is a lobbyist, a special interest lobbyist for big business that are sometimes at odds with small farmers. For instance the poultry guys despise Gary Black.

Everywhere I go, I hear the name Kemp. Everyone is talking about him. People are more excited about Kemp than they are about that so called Governor we have and the lt. governor’s race.

Kemp has managed to pick up more momentum in a couple of months than any thing i have ever seen in any campaign before.
    Gary is a lobbyist, just like ralph reed, but he is a liberal democrat that voted for Al Sharpton, Gary is endorsed by a list of DEMOCRATS. He is a democrat. He cannot beat Irvin, he cannot motivate us conservatives, and he can’t talk about anything but chicken fat and cow shows.

To be someone that is the “know it all in Agriculture” he sure does have a poor, weak message.

If we are looking for excperience and farming alone, our candidate should be Deanna Strickland—-WAKE UP GEORGIA!!!

But I would rather beat Tommy Irvin and the only one that can do that is KEMP…..

15. waterboy says:

Billings and Capt – you Kemp staffers are doing a great job at highlighting the lack of knowledge you have for the role of ag commissioner, not to mention the ag industry.

Everything I have mentioned about Gary Black can be found on his website or in the email updates his campaign sends out – I am not a staffer, although I am flattered that some think I am. Nearly a month after Peach Pundit announced the launch of the Kemp site THERE IS STILL NO PLAN.

Gary Black supporters have reason to be advocates for their candidate…opponents have to try to tear him down because they have no message to move ahead (see above). The facts about Gary’s experience, his leadership, and his vision are what will continue to build his grassroots support on his way to becoming the next Commissioner of Agriculture. It’s a loooong Black Train, so climb aboard!

16. landman says:

Rome,I would love to see you guys go after Kemp based on who is the real Republican in this race.Noone is attacking Gary ,we are merely setting the record straight.Black is running in the wrong Primary and will not win this race,nor could he beat Irvin in a Primary or General.Unfortunate for him he got talked into entering our Primary instead of cutting a deal with Mr. Tommy and the Dems where at least he would have had his own people behind him.

Buzz,you will be impressed when you meet with Kemp,the energy and vision that he will bring to this Department is strongly needed.His experience as a hard working conservative State Senator will aide him greatly in achieving his goals with this position.

17. Tommy_a2b says:

Deanna Strickland would make a good choice. She has been shouting a Conservative Message before we thought we (Conserv atives) could win a state Constitutional office. Unfortunately I do not think farmers are wanting a female Ag Com. Any comment on that subject? By the way I sure hope Perry McGuire gets in the AG race. Any new comment on that subject.

18. Bill Simon says:

I am not referring to Tommy’s post with this comment, but, it’s times like these, and, subjects like these (i.e., who was closely associated with Tom Murphy and who wasn’t back in the day) that I wish I could be as anonymous as the rest of you folks.

But, I’m not anonymous,…so, I’ll just keep my mouth shut (which, as anyone who knows me can attest, is darned difficult). 🙂

19. Romegaguy says:

landboy you obviously have me confused with someone else. I am not a campaign staffer. I am not paid to consult for nor work with any campaign. I am simply a voter with above average interest in the political process. From time to time I contribute my time or my money to candidates I believe in but at this time I have not done anything for any Agriculture Commissioner candidate.

As I have said before, I have met both Kemp and Black. I have watched them for a couple of years, even before I knew they would run for any office. Kemp has not done anything to impress me but Black on the other hand is knowledgable about ag issues.

Someone mentioned that Black has worked against farmers particularly poultry farmers. Would that be a reference to ONE piece of legislation a couple years of ago that the farmers were for and the poultry companies were against? Does anybody want to guess where Kemp was on that issue? It was also AGAINST the farmers and WITH the side that Gary Black was advocating. But Kemp’s staff wants you to forget that and say that Gary is anti-farmer. Yeah, whatever.

I recently asked some friends that are active in the Georgia Farm Bureau who they liked in this race and why. They quickly answered Gary because he understands the issues (I am not implying that Gary will be endorsed by the Farm Bureau, I was just asking a couple of their members). They said that whenever they try to talk to Kemp he is either a)too busy or b) doesnt seem to care about their issues… until he recently decided he wanted to run statewide instead of possibly losing his senate seat.

also, if some of you are so against former Democrats running as Republicans, why dont you run someone against Gov Perdue, Sen. Jack Hill, Congressman Nathan Deal, etc? Why were yall excited when former Atty Gen Bowers endorsed Casey Cagle for Lt Gov? Wasnt he once a liberal too?

20. landman says:

Rome,I dont have you confused with anyone and could really care less whether you are a staffer or not,although;you have the logic and temper of a mid twenty staffer.You act as if your very knowledgable about the Ag industry,but I bet you dont know the difference between a cultivator and a bottom plow.No you are most likely a tunnel vision staffer so why dont you just call those guys staffers you mentioned and ask them did they vote for Al Sharpton in the Dem Primary,I bet Black is the only one in that catagory.Hell, I dont blame you for being defensive,I would hate to have to defend a Dem in the Republican Primary too.
    If you havent truly put any skin in the game with Black,keep your money in the bank so you will get a return on it.

Bottom line a Democratic LOBBYIST will not beat a Conservative Republican State Senator,no matter how you dress him up.

21. waterboy says:

Romegaguy, Cotton Boll, Silence, and other advocates for Gary Black – QUIT TRYING TO BE RATIONAL IN THIS BLOG! It is obvious the dialogue is proving to be too mature for the kids that work for Kemp. They refuse to acknowledge the fact that Cotton Boll pointed out – “Kemp voted in at least TWO DEMOCRATIC PRIMARIES – maybe even more” and the hypocracy of the Democrat claims that Romegaguy highlighted is off the charts. They are struggling with the reality that each day Gary Black is blazing a trail way ahead of their candidate. It’s okay though, because DENIAL is the first step of grief. ANGER is not far behind and some are already showing the signs. BARGAINING will soon follow. DEPRESSION is where they will need our help as they struggle with the reality that their candidate really isn’t qualified for the job. And finally, ACCEPTANCE will sweep in as they recognize that Gary Black will be a great Commissioner of Agriculture and provide added strength in leadership for the Republican party. It will be okay in the end; but for now, just allow them to move throught the five stages of grief at their own pace.

22. Groseclose says:

I am somewhat reluctant to post on this thread because in doing so I might lend personal credibility to the divisive, often hateful rhetoric that these comments embody. Nonetheless, knowing both of the serious candidates in the Republican primary (sorry Dee) and having a substantial appreciation of Georgia agriculture and its consumers, I thought it would be helpful to share a few of my thoughts.

There is no doubt that Brian Kemp has been a successful politician in representing Athens-Clarke and Oconee Counties. He has gained respect within the Republican Party and the State Senate for twice winning a tough senate seat. He has been a successful land developer and a community leader. However, these qualities alone do not qualify him to be the chief executive of the Georgia Department of Agriculture.

As a Republican party, we cannot be blinded by perceived political qualifications. We must search for candidates that are not only electable, but more importantly are qualified to serve in the respective office. Just as we would not nominate a non-lawyer as an Attorney General or someone with no educational administration experience for Superintendent of Schools, Georgia’s largest industry cannot afford to be under the direction of someone that is politically experienced, but grossly unqualified for the agriculture commissioner post. If Republicans forsake good governance for political acumen, we too will suffer the fate that Georgia Democrats have recently encountered.

In contrast, Gary Black is extremely qualified for this job and with the support of a united Republican party, he can defeat Tommy Irvin. It is going to be a tough fight with this entrenched Democrat, but the GOP is better served by nominating a qualified candidate than opportunistic one. People on both sides of the aisle are tired of opportunistic politicians and if Brian Kemp is nominated, the people will see right through his cloak of ambition and we will be stuck with complacent leadership under Tommy Irvin for four more years. If Gary Black is elected, he has the potential to serve Georgia agriculturalists and consumers for decades to come. If Brian Kemp is elected, both of those core constituencies will be forsaken when the political winds blow to push him to higher office. We need genuine leadership for this important constitutional position.

I want to address a few of the arguments/discussion that have been made against/concerning Gary Black:

Gary’s a Democrat: Some of have seized on Gary’s vote in the presidential preference primary as indictment that he is a “liberal democrat.

23. Bill Simon says:

These are the following expressions that have truly become “whatever” to me:

“registered Republican”: There is no such a thing in the state of Georgia. No one registers as a Republican or a Democrat, and a person is allowed to vote in either primary (but, not both at the same time).

Special interest lobbyist: DUH! on the redundancy.

Liberal Democrat: Is “liberal” simply a modifier to the word “Democrat,” or is there a difference between a “liberal Democrat” and a “moderate Democrat” and a “conservative Democrat?”

Conservative Republican: You want to know how to tell who is a “Conservative Republican?” Anyone who didn’t support SB 5 last year.

24. Jack S says:

Waterboy, quit posting after you smoke dope. It’s embarrassing. I love these Black supporters. They apparently think that if they say something enough and they’re just really, really earnest when they say it then it will be true.

I don’t know what Georgia you and the rest of the Black campaign staff live in, but in the real Georgia Gary Black is becoming a joke.

Which leads me to Groseclose – forgive me for not taking your feigned expressions of past support for Brian so seriously when you go on to question his motives and integrity. Let’s get down to business and talk about winning the race against Tommy Irvin.

The only argument that Black supporters keep throwing out is that he’s more qualified. Than who? Tommy Irvin? Forget it. It borders on insanity to think that someone can win a race against Tommy Irvin (a 30+ year incumbent) by saying they are more qualified.

What’s even more laughable is that some hack who’s made a living off of representing businesses that profit from farming is somehow the best guy for the average farmer out there. If experience were the only issue Deanna Strickland is the best candidate and GOPers should rally around her. But Gary wouldn’t do something like that. He was too busy bending over and kissing Tommy Irvin’s rear end in 02. And I don’t recall ol Gary stepping out for Sonny Perdue either in a year when Brian Kemp took on a Dem incumbent in the most liberal part of the state.

And this argument about voting for a Dem for president to somehow help Republicans????? WARNING TO ALL READERS – There are some really stupid people posting on this blog. I’ve got some ocean front property to sell anybody who believes that lame excuse for being a Dem.

I’ve seen both these guys on the stump and the difference is like night and day.

I hate to break it to the Black staff on here but your candidate is a
    goober. He may be a nice guy and knows the price of peanuts, but he’s a goober. People don’t vote for leaders who are goobers.

Kemp’s got the goods to win. That’s the bottom line. It only takes one appearance to see that clearly. And then you see the quality of the effort he’s running and the support he’s clearly building. I don’t know but I’d imagine that Kemp has some specific plans he’s going to offer – he’s just not going to talk about them in the year before the election – when no one is paying attention. That’s the mark of a good campaign and it stands as a clear contrast to ol’ Goober Gary who has blown his wad already.

I encourage everyone on here to just go see these guys speak. Watch the operation they’re running. You’ll see who is running to beat Tommy Irvin and you’ll see who is running for FFA president.

The Black campaign should spend more time trying to polish up their candidate and trying to get their act together and a little less time out here on the blogs.

25. Romegaguy says:

So jack, what was Kemp’s reasoning for voting in the DEMOCRATIC primary?

And please let us know when you come up with a platform for Brian. I am sure that the other voters in this state would like to know what he claims to stand for.

26. Bud says:

I have not commented on here before but can no longer resist the urge to come on and spread the light of truth on this debate. It is obvious that one of Gary guys is Gary himself or maybe on of those staffers of his. But that is fine, I guess these harsh facts that are being put out on Gary are tough for someone that has been nothing but a lobbyist for 15 years.

If you Black campaign guys are feeling so threatened and getting so defensive in this primary, how are ya’ll going to react against Tommy Irvin. If the facts on this blog are getting ya’ll this defensive and worked up, then ya’ll might as well roll up and surrender if you were to win the primary because Tommy Irvin would destroy ya’ll.

Gary has never campaigned before, he is a liberal democrat in a conservative state, he has probably praised Irvin and worked with him in the past, he is a special interest lobbyist, he was in bed with alll of the corrupt Dems like Tom Murphy and Roy Barnes, he is a candidate that can’t excite anyone but democrats, GOP hardcores don’t like him, he isn’t a republican so doesn;t know how to excite republicans, he doesn’t have leadership ability or the know how to run an 800+ employee operation, and doesn;t know about business, consumer affaris, elected office, running campaigns, and the list could go on and on…..

I have heard Brian Kemp’s message, and it is strong. He can beat Tommy Irvin. kemp has run tough campaigns and can win them, he motivates and excites conservatives, he has business experience, he has lead and managed employees, he has run for office, been elected to office, fought for biofuel research funding, fought for agriculture, fought for the school of Ag., been a republican and a conservative, has no loyalties to the Democrats, will not work for only a select few like gary has and would, he knows how to run a tough campaign, has leadership ability, has been a community leader, has been involved, and has not been a liberak special interest lobbyist and isn’t a goober like gary. Kemp is secretary of the Ag committee and chairman of so many more committees and has tons of support from his collegues.

People get energized about Kemp, who is or can get motivated by Black except those who are paid by his campaign, he has what six people now? I guess no one is willing to work for him for free.

I will also enforce the fact that Gary Black cannot run and win a tough campaign.

He is a liberal democrat that kisses Irvin’s A** everywhere he goes. He used to kiss every dems butt under the Gold Dome until the Republicans took over. He was in bed with all the Liberal, corrupt Dems. He has nothing but old time, long time Dems endorsing his campaign.

Gary is a special interest lobbyist. You could compare him to ralph reed, but at least ralph reed is a conservative. He has been fighting not for agriculture, but for a select few, besides lobbying, he has no government experience and no elected experience.

Gary is not nor ever has been the big farmer he claims to be! He may have some cows and some animals, but hell, who doesn’t. So, Gary, hwo much of your income comes from the farming you claim to do?? And how much comes from your lobbying organization that is paying you to run for Ag Commissioner??

Oh yes, what are Gary’s issues, he loves the FFA and loves cows. Go Gary! If you ever decide to run for an office you are qualified for like FFA president, you have my vote!

27. landman says:

Jack,once again kudo’s to your comments!!!

Grose,if you have listened to both kemp and Black and can honestly come to the conclusion that Black is better suited to head this department or any other, you have been spending too much time with your cows. This position isnt about who can best identify a southern pine beetle or grade Okra under the shade tree before its put in a hamper,its about having the business and political accumen to manage a Multi-Billion dollar business. There are good people in this Department right now that with the proper leadership will start to reach their potential,when they start interacting with Kemp and see his energy ,work ethic and vision.Gary is not the kind of guy who can do this,he comes across with little or no charisma,and the guy that holds the office now at his age is more apt to fire up the employees in this Department.

You boys keep trying to spin Gary into a loyal Republican,that dog wont hunt.He has supported the Dems for along time and I dont care what his reasoning was,this is a Republican Primary and A Republican will win it.Unlike what a few may think the talent pool in the Repuiblican Party is plenty deep we dont need to run someone who has been sucking up to the very person we will beat in November.

If you do some unbiased politiucal calulus its a no brainer,Kemps the guy and we will be addressing him this time next year as Mr. Commissioner.Kemp wins in a blowout,Amen.

28. waterboy says:

Thanks Jack and landman….proof of the comments posted earlier – “DENIAL is the first step of grief. ANGER is not far behind and some are already showing the signs.” Just three more phases to go!

29. landman says:

I dont know what happened to my previous post,but you guys get the point,Kemp wins big and puts Mr. Tommy to pasture.

Waterboy, you seem to like Pyschology with your 5 step plan,there is a 12 step plan modeled after the AA for dis-gruntled,dis-placed,and dis-oriented DEMOCRATS you boys need to look into.With Gary’s connections in the Dem Party yall can get a session with Kerry ,Sharpton, Mckinney and company.The 12th step requires a stiff kick in the ass by a Elephant,we will supply that in July!!!!

30. Bud says:

31. Cotton Boll says:

Waterboy, you are right on target. That landman guy is well into the ANGER stage! You folks keep up the bickerin’ while the rest of us in farm country get back to picking cotton.

32. Groseclose says:

This forum has the potential to be an insightful dialogue about the issues facing Georgia agriculture and its consumers. Rather, some supporters have used this thread to hurl baseless insults (“Goober,

33. landman says:

Cotton Boll,no anger here just a deep rooted conviction to true Republicans that evolved over years of having to deal with this great state being ran by the Dems.Some of us took stands that at the time yielded little but got us to where we are as a party today .If everyone would have played both sides we Republicans would not be in the position that we are in,and there is still ample enough of us to get a standard bearer of the party elected like Kemp.
    On a personal note I hope you have a great crop with your cotton,in both yield and price.

Grose,unlike some of Gary’s posters here you sound like someone who is actually in the Ag Arena if not an actual farmer.Believe me when I tell you,you will not be disappointted with Kemp as your next Ag Commissioner.I hear what your saying about urban sprawl,but take it from someone who has farming in his blood for over 150 yrs,and has three farms as we speak ,the best planting ive done the last five years has been mail boxes and power centers.

34. Bill Simon says:

Landman…you’ve had farming in your blood for 150 years? Wow! You might be the oldest living American…and to think you’re so adept on the computer…who says Senior Citizens cannot keep up with the times? 😉

35. landman says:

Bill,thats pretty good ,its been a Monday I needed to laugh,thank you!! that would be 150 years of farming in my family history.

36. Groseclose says:

Landman,

I appreciate your kind comments and your effort to restore civility to this particular discussion. Nonetheless, I am still concerned by two of your responses.
    First, you suggested that I will not be “disappointed with Kemp

37. Groseclose says:

For the record, I recognize that I-85 does not run through Gainesville. My reference to that section of the interstate was to establish the geographic areas of Atlanta’s expansion and the current epicenter of Georgia’s poultry industry. Hopefully, this preemptive response clarifies my over simplification of the geographic make-up of that region. My apologies.

38. Bill Simon says:

Groseclose, I certainly hope you are able to carry your logic up and down the ballot…I take it your statement of “we don’t need a developer representing our interests” will parallel the belief of a lot of folks looking at the Republican Lt. Governor’s primary who state “We don’t need a lobbyist looking out for our interests” in the form of Ralph Reed, right?

39. Groseclose says:

Bill,

I have not made a decision concerning the Cagle-Reed race. Consequently, I have not qualms with the application of my logic to the Lt. Governor’s race. However, I would warn that if pressed I could distinguish between its application in the agriculture commissioner’s race and the Lt. Governor’s race. Most notably, a clear background supporting not destructing agricultural interests is important to the commissioner’s post. Contrarily, I am not sure what interests, if any in particular, are essential to the Lt. Governor’s post. For that matter, what does the Lt. Governor do and what qualifies someone to be Lt. Governor? (Please excuse me that I am left with this question after years of Pierre Howard and Mark Taylor’s service).

40. ConservativeFire says:

Once again, we must remember what you Black guys continue to forget…..that is the fact that AG COmmissioner deals with so much more than cotton and peanuts now. It is about concumer affairs, world trade, budgets, marketing, new Ag industries and so on. Things that Kemp has and Gary doesn’t.

Even better, What qualifies a LOBBYIST to be AG Commissioner????

Once again, if we are looking at professions D Strickland is the best candidate because she is a FARMER that you are sooo determined to have. But can she beat Irvin??? Hell no, neither can Gary.

I don’t think Gary knew what a state wide race was going to be like, I don’t think he thought he would have all this to go through.

Gary, it is not too late to run in the Democrat Primary where you belong!!!!