Today’s Political Insider

Instead of getting into the CIA leak news, Miers or Sam Alito (I will let Erick address that issue), I thought we could let today’s AJC Political Insider get the week’s GA political debate started.

Here are some highlights of this week’s stories:

-Cheney’s stop at Robins AFB for an event with GA Republican officials, including some extra time to stump for Mac Collins at an event where he apparently raised $141,000

-Donations from UPS’ PAC to GOP candidates

-Prior comments from McCain and Norquist on the Indian Casino scandal involving Jack Abramoff, Grover Norquist, and of course, our own Ralph Reed . . . a story that is already old, but will only get more heated as McCain and the committee attacks this issue.

Also, early voting begins today in some of the local races going on around metro Atlanta and elsewhere. Perhaps that is the most boring news today; however, many of you, I know, care more about what is happening around your local city or county council than news on Washington lobbyists and scandals at the White House. I don’t even know hardly any of the candidates, so let’s hear it if there is someone or something we are missing.

1. GAWire says:

Am I missing something or does anyone else find it interesting that there was very minimal news coverage on the VP in GA to campaign for Collins, and meet with Sonny, etc? A small mention in Pol Insider doesn’t seem like sufficient coverage, but typical for the AJC. Was there anything in local media?

2. Bill Simon says:

Well, from what I gather, there was so much depression after the FL-UGA game, that everyone in Middle- and South Georgia just moped around Saturday evening and all day Sunday…not covering much of anything.

Meanwhile, at Grant Field, it was the PERFECT DAY!

3. waterboy says:

Enjoy the sunshine Bill…..the Dawg days of Autumn are just a few short weeks away! Good win by the Geeks none-the-less.

Political Insider is the ONLY news I have read on the VP visit.

4. Silence says:

Good call, Bill. It was all I could do not to commit suicide Saturday evening. The world just kind of turned grey. One thing is the consoling factor, though. Even if we’d beaten Florida, we still would’ve gotten dicked by the BCS, and so will Alabama, should they end up in the SEC title game. The SEC is just screwed when it comes to the BCS. I will make this prediction, though: whoever wins the Ga/Auburn game will win the SEC title.

5. GAWire says:

11 is a tough number, but the AP and BCS(http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex) seem to like it for UGA! Meanwhile, those of us that weren’t depressed from our team’s performances this past weekend go on with comfort!

Silence, I have to disagree with your analysis on UGA/AU. I think the SEC Champs will be from the West and it won’t be Bama! However, my wager portfolio from last weekend doesn’t show much credit for my analysis, even though I did have some winnings based on UGA losing! And S. Carolina . . . who would’ve thought?

6. stephaniemills21 says:

I read on the AP newswire in Macon a number of stories about the VP visit. I bet it made it into a number of papers.

7. Hammertime says:

Cheney didn’t get coverage (locally) because reporters are lazy and stories get put to bed before Friday afternoon for Saturday and Sunday. God forbid that news happens after lunch on Friday!

8. Romegaguy says:

I thought Insider said that Sonny didnt meet with Cheney… Not that I trust everything I read in the AJC

And then of course the reporters had to go cover the real news which occured down in Hampton Sunday…

9. Maurice Atkinson says:

The Cheney visit I thought was well covered by the local CBS, FOX and NBC affiliates as well as the Macon Telegraph (a Knight Ridder newspaper). They worked diligently at keeping the visit focused. Given the fact that Libby’s indictment and resignation was the premier news of the day, they did a respectable job.

10. Tommy_a2b says:

Why do we all seem to care so much about football. Maybe that topic should be its own thread. I prefer NFL anyway. Let the stones fly.

11. GAWire says:

I started to write a piece Sat morning discussing the weekend’s games (both NCAA & NFL) along with analysis from Vegas (i.e. the lines), but figured nobody else would care.

It’s not GA politics, but seems to be a fun debate issue when the news is slow . . .