Ethics complaints filed.

I wanted to let you folks know that yesterday afternoon, working with my attorney Robert Highsmith, I filed ethics complaints against Democrat Gubernatorial candidates Cathy Cox and Mark Taylor. Both of these candidates have demonstrated a spend now, disclose later mentality, and I felt it was my duty to bring that to the attention of the State Ethics Commission.

All we ask for is careful consideration by the Commission and a level playing field for Governor Perdue. I’m sick and tired of the Democrats filing a complaint every time the Governor sneezes. Democrats’ actions should be scrutinized as well.

From Dick Pettys’ AP story:

Among other specific complaints, the GOP activist charged that Cox made a $50,000 TV buy late in her 1998 campaign but failed to report it until 14 months later in violation of disclosure rules.

Among the complaints against Taylor was that he listed numerous expenditures as “field expenses” without saying specifically what they were. “It’s not clear where the money went,” said Highsmith.

1. Silence says:

To infinity, and beyond!! Sock it to them, Buzz. It’s about time Republicans started being pragmatic with their battle plan, and sock it to the Dems, instead of their fellow Republicans. It shouldn’t be as novel a concept as it is.

2. Bill Simon says:

Allow me to inform the uninformed what “field expenses” are to Mark Taylor: Bribery money. (WAM) Walk-around money paid to “field personnel” to spread around to all of the black churches to get out the vote.

3. emily says:

Does it strike anyone as ironic that just a short time ago individuals were criticizing David Moskowitz (Ethics Commission member) for–god forbid-having political leanings revealed in an errant fax, but that Highsmith (former Ethics Commission member and member of Perdue’s STAFF) and cohort Brockway are being praised for same? I mean, if the Commission is apparently free of partisan leanings, what sign does it send to have a member leave to be on Perdue’s staff and THEN ultimately file a blatantly partisan complaint against his opponents. Hypocrisy anyone?

4. Melb says:

Field expenses could mean a lot more things than that. And if he was paying people to help get out the vote in black areas that doesn’t sound like bribery to me, but more like get out the vote efforts. Not disclosing money on your report I admit sounds like a legitimate reason, but with Taylor that is stretching.

5. prophet says:

Oh I know Teddy Lee’s gonna do a thorough job as he always does when it comes to fellow Democrats. When is this Spanish Inquisition going to cease functioning??? And why hasn’t Sonny cleaned this sewage heap up??? More Democrats sucking up tax dollars in pursuit of Republican destruction and Republicans paralyzed to react.

6. Bill Simon says:

Emily, Highsmith has been long gone from the Governor’s office and the Ethics Commission. It’s not like he “just left.”

Moskowitz SITS on the Ethics Commission and is openly playing partisan politics. In fact, from what I’ve heard, Moskowitz used government FAX machines to send that fax, thus violating the part of the Ethics Act that forbids use of government resources for political acts.

Do tell me where Highsmith and Brockway have used government resources in the filing of the ethics complaint.

7. Ben King says:

Of course, buzz, you realize that the AP story was half about Perdue’s ethics violation. And then you’ve got Perdue’s spokeman saying ‘we’ll leave the finger pointing to the Democrats’, when the article is about a GOP complaint.

Plus, these are old. It is very evident that you were looking for anything you could on the Dems. 1998? GOTV efforts?

Again, the article is half about Perdue anyway, and neither of these is the same as $18,000 in illegal campaign contributions from his wife’s company.

8. Ben King says:

my point is that if you are going to get the media to write an ethics story, keep it up. The more it is evident that this is a political ploy, and the more it mentions Sonny’s guilt, the more this Dem is loving it.

9. Bill Simon says:

Hey, Ben, if someone murdered someone 10 years ago, and someone else just found out about it, should the prosecutor just shrug it off by saying “oh, this should have been brought-up before now…”

10. Ben King says:

except haven’t these disclosure reports been publicly available since … always? even if it was 14 months late, thats still 2000 at the latest for Cox, really late 99.

And the murder rhetoric is completly bogus, come on man. comparing a late election filing to a murder charge? By your logic, Perdue shouldn’t be in office since he was actually found guilty of an ethics violation.

and, for argument’s sake, there is a problem in your analogy, assuming you accept that its a valid analogy (which I’ve pointed out its not). This isn’t something that “someone else just found out about”. It like, we know this person murdered someone, but we haven’t prosecuted until now. The evidence was totally available then, but we just didn’t do anything with it. But we are gonna prosecute now.

And yes, I’d question the motives of such an investigation given the lack of alacrity in investigating. Just like everyone will question to motives of these charges. It really is that blatant.

11. Bill Simon says:

Ben, “ethics violations” according to this state’s laws are “misdemeanors” just like speeding and jaywalking. They are not true “ethics” like the “morality” stuff you think they are.

Ben, you can make any charge you want in an ethics complaint as long as you cite the law you beleive has been violated. It will be up to the Ethics Commission to determine if the law has been broken.

If you want to talk about blatant, WHERE is your comparative outrage when the Democratic Party of Georgia is the one that filed the complaints against Sonny Perdue? Eh? Eh? Sorry, Ben, I can’t hear you, speak-up!

12. In fairness, DPG complaints against Perdue and others are generally timely. It is the ethics commission that takes its time coming to a decision, which is good because that means they are fairly and judiciously reviewing the reports.

Ben’s point was that now you’ve got someone digging things up that are close to 8 years old. I’m sure most politicians would get nervous if people started digging deep and looking into stuff they thought was ancient history. For every BS charge Buzz can file against a Democrat that is 8 years old, I’m sure some Democrat can respond at least in kind.

Didn’t that master of ethics Ralph Reed run a lot of Republican campaigns about 8 years ago?

13. Ben King says:

sorry, that ‘i’ll let the voters decide’ line was totally hackery. i am embarrassed rereading that.

14. Bill Simon says:

Chris: Believe me, the DPOG’s flunky, George Anderson, has filed ALL of the nickel-and-dime complaints against Republicans long before this.

Ben, no argument from me about Republicans making a lot of hay over their “big” ethics package which is basically, more hot air than true ethics reform.

Democrats like Chris like to THINK they know what ethics are, but, they don’t. The Ethics Act in this state is the weakest in the country, of a country full of weak ethics laws, because it doesn’t address the REAL ethical concerns the public has with government officials: And that is them making deals and voting on things that directly affect their personal well-being and wealth at the exclusion of what is better for their constituents..

The Ethics Act was initially passed in 1985 under 95% dominated Democrat administrations and legislature. These guys thought they were so clever in redefining what “ethics” is. The GOP has just followed the lead of the people they once railed against, with very few significant modifications to how legislators can act and raise money.

Okay, I’ve said enough to get me into trouble with a WHOLE lot of the GOP. (But, did I mention any GOP names here? Huh? Did I? No, I didn’t. I could..and, still can…..) 🙂