The Cheeseburger Bill

Phil Gingrey is on Fox News right now. He’s pushing the cheeseburger bill, officially a “personal responsibility” bill that would curtail lawsuits filed by fatties against McDonalds for making them fat.

It is sad that it has come to this, but it’s great that Gingrey is pushing this. Not only that, but we should remember that Gingrey is a doctor. He knows something about obesity and its causes.

1. Harry says:

Does anyone know if the Reps are going to be able to mount an effective candidate for Attorney General?

2. Rusty says:

I need to read through the particulars of the bill, but there’s a difference between “fatties suing McDonald’s for making them fat” and advertising something as a healthy alternative when it’s not (like a chicken salad with 1,600 calories). I agree the former is frivolous, but preventing the former shouldn’t give companies like McDonald’s free reign to partake in the latter activity. That would be my worry with something like this specifically.

Beyond that, on general principles it seems ridiculous for Congress to tell people what they can and cannot sue people for. Funny how Republicans complain about judges “legislating from the bench,” but are perfectly happy to, umm, “judge from the Capitol.” (maybe I’ll think of a better catchphrase for this later, that’s admittedly lame)

Regardless, it’s nothing more than an unprincipled power grab.

3. waterboy says:

Rusty – If you have ever had to pay attorney’s fees to defend yourself or business from a money grabbing liberal then you would recognize that such protections are needed. I agree that such action is unfortunate, but we have grown into a nation frothing at the mouth to sue somebody that we need this protective action. Thankfully the Georgia legislature and a handful of other states have already established the protections within state borders. This is the best step to protect all.

4. Erick says:

Waterboy,
    Sadly it’s not all “money grabbing liberals.” I know plenty of money grabbing conservatives who also engage in frivolous lawsuits.

5. Rusty says:

It’s presumptuous to assume I haven’t had to defend my business from a lawsuit. Or that I do or do not have a business to defend, considering we’ve never had a conversation (to my knowledge, at least).

What is a money-grabbing liberal, anyway? For that matter, whom would you consider a liberal, both in general and specifically applied to roles played in lawsuits? Assuredly, it’s only liberals who utilize the legal system to settle civil and criminal disputes, right?

Why is it okay for Congress to meddle with the Judicial branch, but not for the Judicial branch to meddle with Congress? You do understand that electoral politics are cyclical, and that Republicans won’t be running everything forever, right?

6. waterboy says:

Good points….I should not have limited the greed to just liberals – they were just first on the list in my mind. Rusty, I did not mean to imply you have never been in such a situation – sorry if it came off that way.

This is a common sense measure that is sorely needed, not a Republican or Democrat issue in my opinion. The only thing dumber than a “I’m fat and it is your fault” lawsuit is having to pay attorneys to defend your business from such a claim. Surely we can all agree on that.

7. Melb says:

My ass was perfect until McDonald’s made me eat Big Macs everyday. They tricked me into eatting there by putting crack in the special sauce and told me it would help me lose weight.

8. macongop says:

As some one that has been on the receiving end of the cigarette lawsuits/ Master Settlement Agreement, I find it hard to believe that people thought if was fine to let Big Tobacco be sued and hung out to dry. Yet it is alright to stop all other lawsuits now because people have to take responsiblity for their own actions. Everybody that has smoked has known that cigarettes are not healthy, but when no one stood up for the Tobacco Industry, Pandora’s box was open to all other lawsuits. I feel that Congress has more pressing issues to deal with, Budgets, Hurricane relief, Iraq… to worry about McDonalds and Burger King.

9. ConservativeFire says:

I agree Macon. I find it repulsive how the government has allowed for trial lawyers and other vultures sue and bring down tobacco companies because people are too stupid to take responsibility for their own actions (smoking). I am glad however that the government and our useless congressional delegation is finally doing something to promote personal responsibility and to try and stop these attorneys from attacking fast food businesses. These cowards aren’t scared to stand up for cheese burgers but they sure is hell want fight for a balanced budget, cutting spending or ending illegal immigration in Washington.